First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
my hope is that the new developer program will eventually get to where there's a proper path for this stuff with granular permissions, etc. but having dealt with such things and regularly communicating with developers doing such things, I know that's a large effort.
I signed up for the old dev program and despite many requests, I never got access to the FordConnect API. The access request seemed to go to a black hole.

I signed up for the new dev program within the last two weeks... Now I can see the FordConnect API and it mentions that OAuth authentication is used, but there are zero instructions or examples or URLs or anything. I think they are still working on it, though it doesn't seem to say "in progress" unless I missed it.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yup, lots of apps are pinging the car/server relentlessly. And while some say they are for charging metrics they are actually building huge databases of vehicle data and selling them
What do you mean by that? (I am admittedly ignorant of how cell phone apps work....)

When you say lots of apps are pinging the car and/or Ford servers.......are you saying that we have applications on our phone BESIDES FordPass that are trying to connect to our car or connect to the Ford servers? If so, what apps would that be and how did they get our user name and passwords to do something like that?

I haven't received this message (yet). Is there some way that we can accidentally be sharing our credentials without knowing it?

Or is this happening via the web based FordPass.com? Do we have the same issue there?

Is there a way to use FordPass and keep our information safe? I don't like the idea that other apps have my FordPass credentials.......pretty scary. :oops:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
What do you mean by that? (I am admittedly ignorant of how cell phone apps work....)

When you say lots of apps are pinging the car and/or Ford servers.......are you saying that we have applications on our phone BESIDES FordPass that are trying to connect to our car or connect to the Ford servers? If so, what apps would that be and how did they get our user name and passwords to do something like that?

I haven't received this message (yet). Is there some way that we can accidentally be sharing our credentials without knowing it?

Or is this happening via the web based FordPass.com? Do we have the same issue there?

Is there a way to use FordPass and keep our information safe? I don't like the idea that other apps have my FordPass credentials.......pretty scary. :oops:
That apps of concern are ones that require you to give them your Ford login information. If you haven't done that then you are ok

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That apps of concern are ones that require you to give them your Ford login information. If you haven't done that then you are ok
Okay. Thank you.
I have never had another app ask for my FordPass login. That would seem like a giant red flag to me. Correct?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Okay. Thank you.
I have never had another app ask for my FordPass login. That would seem like a giant red flag to me. Correct?
You're maybe the exception, but a lot of people wouldn't think twice if an app they wanted to use (like Recurrent) asked for their Ford username and password while setting it up. Most people forget they even gave this info out.

No one should give their Ford credentials out to 3rd parts apps right now IMO, not until OAuth is supported by Ford and we can manage access.

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
Attached warning message about not sharing account info (credentials) popped up in FordPass this afternoon.

Also battery fault | phantom drain issue

Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! FordPass - Account Info Sharing Warnin

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I haven't posted in my thread here for a little while. Nothing to report really... there was a road trip I almost wrote up, but ultimately there would be no new information I think.

Anyway, there's been talk about how easy it is to make Alexa go away. Here's the screen (I don't think I've seen a picture yet) when you first tap, showing the dismiss option as the third choice:

Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221002_120057

not that Alexa actually works for me 🙄

Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221002_120116

This was on my home wifi and on cell (solid AT&T coverage - posting this using it on my phone), and after a Sync reboot.

oh well. 😂

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I haven't posted in my thread here for a little while. Nothing to report really... there was a road trip I almost wrote up, but ultimately there would be no new information I think.

Anyway, there's been talk about how easy it is to make Alexa go away. Here's the screen (I don't think I've seen a picture yet) when you first tap, showing the dismiss option as the third choice:

This was on my home wifi and on cell (solid AT&T coverage - posting this using it on my phone), and after a Sync reboot.

oh well. 😂
There is a $10/month streaming option under Connected Services that seems to be exclusively for Alexa. It looks like you get a month free with the car. I wonder if you get that message if you don't have it after the 30 day trial.

Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 1664727272912

I set up Alexa in ours yesterday. I won't be paying $10/month, I don't like Alexa/Amazon, but figure I would at least play around with it for the 30 days.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! Screenshot_20221002-150050

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So, pretty much like Amazon in general then? :p

I haven't looked at the interface yet from Friday or Thursday or whenever it was that I unwilling received 3.5.3, so I'll be dismissing Ms. Alexa on Tuesday when I see the car again. Looks simple enough that even a pilot could make it go away. ;)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Funny, my favorite in-home service has been available in my car since I picked him up in May. Nothing like having your dog with you to do stuff for you, like hit the hazard flasher button or switch from Sirius XM to CarPlay. Still working on opening the frunk. The only problem is the occasional nose print on the center display since he sometimes doesn’t use a paw. 😱🐩

Obviously, some of the “assistance“ happens without request since someone has a mind of his own… 🤪🐩

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So, pretty much like Amazon in general then? :p

I haven't looked at the interface yet from Friday or Thursday or whenever it was that I unwilling received 3.5.3, so I'll be dismissing Ms. Alexa on Tuesday when I see the car again. Looks simple enough that even a pilot could make it go away. ;)
yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the setup. looks like my trial started with the Lightning based on the picture above but I still can't actually activate it.

pretty tempting to just dismiss it and forget about it, which I'm sure is not what either company wants.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Funny, my favorite in-home service has been available in my car since I picked him up in May. Nothing like having your dog with you to do stuff for you, like hit the hazard flasher button or switch from Sirius XM to CarPlay. Still working on opening the frunk. The only problem is the occasional nose print on the center display since he sometimes doesn’t use a paw. 😱🐩

Obviously, some of the “assistance“ happens without request since someone has a mind of his own… 🤪🐩
I see we subscribe to the same service

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Alexa is working now. No changes at my end that I know of, but anyway...

The process looks like this (my usual dirty screen and terrible pictures disclaimers apply):

1. "Get Started"
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_120543

2. You get a standard Amazon device code sign in flow (the code is random and changes each time, so I'm not worried about showing it), which you'd use from whatever device... you can scan the QR Code or just do it directly from a browser on whatever device, either way:
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_120657

3. You get prompted for Sync 4 to have permission; note that this consent dialog appears each time, even if you've done this before (e.g. I had done it on my Lightning already), which is vaguely stupid, but anyway:

Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! Screenshot_20221004-120818

4. You get prompted for location permission:
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! Screenshot_20221004-120855

5. You get a success confirmation:
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! Screenshot_20221004-120900

6. Back on the Sync 4a screen in the car, you are asked about enabling the wake word ("Alexa") - if you do this, you can wake the system up without the voice button. If you don't enable this, you talk to Alexa using the voice button on the steering wheel, then say "Alexa, [whatever]":
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_120908

7. You're then asked about contacts access; these will come from the connected Bluetooth phone, and later in Settings you can see what phone is being used:
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_120931

8. You then get a successful completion message (which really doesn't say you're successful, but anyway):
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_120942

9. Settings will then show the active phone and Wake Word setting, as well as a "Sign Out" option:
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_120956

10. "Things to Try" is a very long list of possible prompts - this is a partial list:
Ford Mustang Mach-E hey, I have a car! 20221004_121002

11. And this is what the experience is like - I didn't record until the display dialog automatically closes but it does after a while, 5 seconds maybe... I have the wake word disabled, so I used the voice button, which means I got the initial Sync voice prompt screen and tone when I pressed the wheel button:

Last edited: