Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I won't be able to hear it even if it is there. I've had tinitus in my right ear for more than 4 decades. My sister used to sit to the right of me at the dinner table when we were kids. Her normal talking voice is damaging to hearing. I guess once my MME arrives I'm going to have plug my right ear and try to take a cloee listen with my left ear.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I hope my MME doesn't have the whine! The two I test drove did not. I did that hearing test and I could hear all of them. What's weird is that, to me, the 17,400 Hz was easier to hear than the 15,000 Hz.

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR Red/Blk Onyx
Country flag
I hope my MME doesn't have the whine! The two I test drove did not. I did that hearing test and I could hear all of them. What's weird is that, to me, the 17,400 Hz was easier to hear than the 15,000 Hz.
I think it's the way that video was encoded. It sounded like it lost frequency compared to the 15000. Try this video. It also depends on what speakers or headphones you're using to replicate the sound.

I did notice the whine in my car when I put my head near the instrument panel. I don't hear it at all during normal driving with the AC and radio on and even with it all off I had to get really close. My best guess is it's pretty close to 20000 Hz. I'll bring a meter out later to see. At least for my car and the ears of everyone in my family, we don't notice it

Reactions: ARK

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I would trust this man‘s hearing :)

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It's interesting, I am 31 and can discern the noise in that video up to 18,800. Above that, I need to turn the video on or off to feel the difference of it being there/not there. Might be why I feel like I am very aware of the Mach-E's buzz anytime the windows are closed and the radio isn't up high.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
It's interesting, I am 31 and can discern the noise in that video up to 18,800. Above that, I need to turn the video on or off to feel the difference of it being there/not there. Might be why I feel like I am very aware of the Mach-E's buzz anytime the windows are closed and the radio isn't up high.
Keep in mind your particular headphones/speakers will also be a factor in determining whether you hear it. But I'm late 30s and can hear easily to around 19k.

blink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red MME+
Had the car for a few days. Am 33 with somewhat sensitive hearing, it's noticible alright. I'll even hear it through music at normal level. It might end up being a deal breaker for me, we'll see. Hope not, for so far I enjoy everything else.

It did seem like it started after being charged at home for the first time. I don't think car was charged at all since stopping in Belgium on the way here (app only mentions Belgium and car was at ~30% when I picked it up with 29km). I wonder if the charging had something to do with it becoming a problem, triggering it.

Though I might just have been so focused on driving without a stick + driving something that's not 20 years old I might just not have noticed on the way home.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Had the car for a few days. Am 33 with somewhat sensitive hearing, it's noticible alright. I'll even hear it through music at normal level. It might end up being a deal breaker for me, we'll see. Hope not, for so far I enjoy everything else.

It did seem like it started after being charged at home for the first time. I don't think car was charged at all since stopping in Belgium on the way here (app only mentions Belgium and car was at ~30% when I picked it up with 29km). I wonder if the charging had something to do with it becoming a problem, triggering it.

Though I might just have been so focused on driving without a stick + driving something that's not 20 years old I might just not have noticed on the way home.
There is a crude 3D-printed solution.

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR AWD Premium
Country flag
The noise is 100% there and intolerable. My 17-year-old son (who drives an '06 GT) refuses to drive my MME without loud music on to drown out the buzzing because, in his words, "it is so annoying."

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
The noise is 100% there and intolerable. My 17-year-old son (who drives an '06 GT) refuses to drive my MME without loud music on to drown out the buzzing because, in his words, "it is so annoying."
Yep. It's really bad. It's by far the worst aspect of the MME for me. And when people ask me if they should consider getting one, my first question is always, how's your hearing?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. It's really bad. It's by far the worst aspect of the MME for me. And when people ask me if they should consider getting one, my first question is always, how's your hearing?
It must be a lot worse on some than others. At first I heard it on mine, but barely unless I put my ear close to the steering wheel. And I'm one that was always highly susceptible to it when walking through the TV section of a store (back when plasma and CRT TVs were the norm, which often emitted the same piercing whine).

I haven't even noticed it in mine since the first week. Not sure if it got better, or I just got used to it. I always have the radio on anyway.
Sponsored