(High voltage battery issue): Jinxed myself... MME Premium ER with "Service vehicle soon" and the dreaded turtle, wrench and error icon

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
@troublebot hopefully I'll see ya around in DFW after I get my car back (sooner or later)!
I'll be the guy still driving the scratched up CX-9 since my MME appears to have fallen off the face of the planet. :p
Sponsored

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Well today was an eventful day! Started this morning off with a call from AutoNation Ford Frisco saying that they had a loaner for me (at no cost) that I could keep for the next 20 days and that I could pickup today by 4pm. If the repair wasn't completed by the 20 days, I'd just have to bring it in to swap with another loaner but they would have me covered. Thanks @Ford Motor Company for the escalation and hooking me up!!

While I was there, the service rep told me they finally had the dolly free and my car was on it. Managed to catch a pic of it up in the air.
Ford Mustang Mach-E (High voltage battery issue): Jinxed myself... MME Premium ER with "Service vehicle soon" and the dreaded turtle, wrench and error icon 20210706_130216

Also seems that they do in fact have a FSA on the case now. As for parts, they are waiting for a battery. Apparently the MME batteries are currently on backorder (seems like a lot of demand,), but mine has been placed under emergency order. He believes that they come off of backorder on the 16th.

According to him, the prior MME that was in the shop before me had 2 battery packs/cells that ruptured and needed to be replaced. The good thing is, they're now familiar with the battery replacement process thanks to the other MME that was in the shop before me. He also mentioned that another MME with the same symptoms just came into the dealership today!

The scary part of all this is that it's sounding more like this issue may be somewhat common rather than a one off. 3 cars with battery issues at the same dealership... Really curious to hear if it's a Texas thing or wider spread.

Last edited:

TundraEV

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I guess that makes sense especially now in such a shortage to rely on rental company fleets. But they should have given him the option for that and cover some of the cost since it's crazy expensive right now.
I would say there are a lot of dealers who don’t have courtesy rentals because… they have no extra cars to even sell.

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
Well today was an eventful day! Started this morning off with a call from AutoNation Ford Frisco saying that they had a loaner for me (at no cost) that I could keep for the next 20 days and that I could pickup today by 4pm. If the repair wasn't completed by the 20 days, I'd just have to bring it in to swap with another loaner but they would have me covered. Thanks @Ford Motor Company for the escalation and hooking me up!!

While I was there, the service rep told me they finally had the dolly free and my car was on it. Managed to catch a pic of it up in the air.
Ford Mustang Mach-E (High voltage battery issue): Jinxed myself... MME Premium ER with "Service vehicle soon" and the dreaded turtle, wrench and error icon 20210706_130216

Also seems that they do in fact have a FSA on the case now. As for parts, they are waiting for a battery. Apparently the MME batteries are currently on backorder (seems like a lot of demand,), but mine has been placed under emergency order. He believes that they come off of backorder on the 16th.

According to him, the prior MME that was in the shop before me had 2 battery packs/cells that ruptured and needed to be replaced. The good thing is, they're now familiar with the battery replacement process thanks to the other MME that was in the shop before me. He also mentioned that another MME with the same symptoms just came into the dealership today!

The scary part of all this is that it's sounding more like this issue may be somewhat common rather than a one off. 3 cars with battery issues at the same dealership... Really curious to hear if it's a Texas thing or wider spread.
Thanks for keeping us updated and glad this is on the up-and-up!

When this is all said and done, would be great to hear how you suggest getting ahold of and working with the mothership at Ford to help with an issue. It seems you navigated that quite well!

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm happy to hear that are finally ready to answer the call for you.
Haha thanks for flipping that... can't believe I missed that sign! ?

Thanks for keeping us updated and glad this is on the up-and-up!

When this is all said and done, would be great to hear how you suggest getting ahold of and working with the mothership at Ford to help with an issue. It seems you navigated that quite well!
Honestly, direct messaging was what did the trick for me. The social media team monitors the account, and they were awesome... very responsive and friendly. Will definitely keep y'all apprised as things move along!

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 23 without KITT: Unfortunately, not much to report at this point. The dealer has been good about proactively providing updates every few days, but basically it's just the same message that they're waiting until the battery comes off backorder ... which should be on the 16th. I figure it's at least another 2 more weeks at this point.

On the good side, at least I'm getting experience in how to drive a tank... I mean Ford Explorer loaner ? In all seriousness, it's got a very familiar interior to the MME and is in good shape (albeit quite the gas guzzler).

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So today (day 26) I went in to pick up my Progressive insurance snapshot drive monitoring device from KITT to return it, and while I was there the service folks were nice enough to let me take some pics of the battery pack that had been removed.

Ford Mustang Mach-E (High voltage battery issue): Jinxed myself... MME Premium ER with "Service vehicle soon" and the dreaded turtle, wrench and error icon 20210716_153057

I was getting some deja vu from the Munro teardown videos ?

Apparently the back right battery cell was the one that was ruptured and is awaiting replacement.

In terms of the battery backorder, it sounds like the order is in today since backorders are finally off, but no ETA unfortunately for when the battery will arrive.

Really hoping that I'll get KITT repaired before the 6 week mark, but I guess we'll see ? Unfortunately, the Ford SUV support person on my case really hasn't been helpful since calling in about the loaner initially. She's called me weekly but really hasn't done anything other than say she's trying to contact the dealer and hasn't emailed me any updates despite my explicit requests. Trying to stay positive... Bright side is that at least I have something to drive I guess. Just just missing cruising around town in KITT ?

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Wow, really making me rethink a Ford purchase. I am Very spoiled by Tesla I now see

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Interesting what they said about the Ford only covering loaner for 10 days. I asked mine (I am waiting until 8/15 for my power steering part) and they were like Ford will cover it as long as I need.

not sure if something changed since then?

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, really making me rethink a Ford purchase. I am Very spoiled by Tesla I now see
Despite the battery issue, when my MME was working it was fantastic. Really didn't have many issues until this. I do chalk it up to being one of the early adopters and growing pains, but hopefully Ford will make it right for us in the long run.

Interesting what they said about the Ford only covering loaner for 10 days. I asked mine (I am waiting until 8/15 for my power steering part) and they were like Ford will cover it as long as I need.

not sure if something changed since then?
Hmmm...Not sure. May depend on the dealer? For the current loaner, it's "as long as needed" too now... Not sure why they didn't provide it to me earlier without having to get Ford Support involved.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Curious how they are able to identify a cell rupture as it doesn't look like it's something you can visibly see.

If they are rupturing though the good news is they are identifying it as a fault versus the car burning to the ground...if there's any bright side to this lol.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
It only takes one issue to ruin a purchase. Weird time because of COVID but it’s still a lemon at this point. If it wasn’t a MME you’d be demanding a new car.

CR was right in its score reliability is an issue With these.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Curious how they are able to identify a cell rupture as it doesn't look like it's something you can visibly see.

If they are rupturing though the good news is they are identifying it as a fault versus the car burning to the ground...if there's any bright side to this lol.
Yeah apparently you can tell when you look closer by seeing the expansion gap between some of the cell paneling there and then also testing of the leads.

I agree though, at least it's a good thing that I wasn't stranded in the road and that at least happened when I was still at home when I got that message.