(High voltage battery issue): Jinxed myself... MME Premium ER with "Service vehicle soon" and the dreaded turtle, wrench and error icon

Blanked

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE , 2003 Ford Excursion EB 4x4
Country flag
Can you tell us what your normal , nightly or weekly , charge pattern was? 80 , 90 , 100%..?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
If this isn't resolved in 30 days would you think about using the lemon law?
Considering everything else was basically fine before this and it's more inventory related for the wait time, probably not. If it's a more systemic issue with the battery cells then that'd be a different matter.

Can you tell us what your normal , nightly or weekly , charge pattern was? 80 , 90 , 100%..?
Was getting it down to 20-30% and then charging to 90% every 2 weeks or so as I didn't have a ton of daily driving. Temps in the garage probably were < 90 degrees.

Right?! That's what I was thinking which is why I had a separate poll to see how many folks on this forum also had high voltage battery issues. Seems like those people aren't part of this forum though.

As for payments, I paid off the car already so nope. Would be great if there was some compensation... Even if it was just to cover the gas for the Explorer loaner, but nothing yet and doubting anything would unless this was a wider scale issue.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Considering everything else was basically fine before this and it's more inventory related for the wait time, probably not. If it's a more systemic issue with the battery cells then that'd be a different matter.

Was getting it down to 20-30% and then charging to 90% every 2 weeks or so as I didn't have a ton of daily driving. Temps in the garage probably were < 90 degrees.

Right?! That's what I was thinking which is why I had a separate poll to see how many folks on this forum also had high voltage battery issues. Seems like those people aren't part of this forum though.

As for payments, I paid off the car already so nope. Would be great if there was some compensation... Even if it was just to cover the gas for the Explorer loaner, but nothing yet and doubting anything would unless this was a wider scale issue.
When my dealer finally gets me a loaner, I’m gonna ask about gas reimbursement because I’m paying way less on my electric bills than I am with gas, so I think they should be paying the difference at least.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't seen it documented in the Mach-E manual, but based on Google and my own interpretation:

Turtle = The warning light comes on when the hybrid vehicle battery temperature is low or high, or the hybrid vehicle battery capacity is decreased with the selector lever at “R” during driving. If the light comes on, the power will be limited. Drive your vehicle without hard acceleration.

Exclamation = assume that it's saying the system had an error

Wrench = service now or soon so bring it into the dealer... aka be prepared for a wait!

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 32: It's official... My MME (or I) is cursed. Got a call from the dealer with "unfortunate news". It seems that my battery was en route to the dealership, and apparently the FedEx transport that was carrying my battery caught on fire. At this point, they apparently will need to resubmit the Ford battery order so over again, go through another wait period, and get them to send another one. I couldn't make this up if I tried... ?

Here goes any hope of getting it back before my August vacation plans.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Day 32: It's official... My MME (or I) is cursed. Got a call from the dealer with "unfortunate news". It seems that my battery was en route to the dealership, and apparently the FedEx transport that was carrying my battery caught on fire. At this point, they apparently will need to resubmit the Ford battery order so over again, go through another wait period, and get them to send another one. I couldn't make this up if I tried... ?

omg you gotta be freakin kidding me

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

Caught on fire FROM the battery pack?

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I haven't seen it documented in the Mach-E manual, but based on Google and my own interpretation:

Turtle = The warning light comes on when the hybrid vehicle battery temperature is low or high, or the hybrid vehicle battery capacity is decreased with the selector lever at “R” during driving. If the light comes on, the power will be limited. Drive your vehicle without hard acceleration.

Exclamation = assume that it's saying the system had an error

Wrench = service now or soon so bring it into the dealer... aka be prepared for a wait!
The turtle means what most cars call something like “limp mode.” Reduced power to try to protect all the other systems when a major fault is detected.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag

Freaking FedEx man, they're seriously the worst. Half the time they don't even deliver on time anyway.

That said it does make me wonder with everyone else if the battery was the cause. I hope the driver made it out ok, I'm sure he jumped ship when he saw a trail of flames behind him.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wow, horrible luck. I would think they would use an LTL carrier with more experience handling a large, heavy, and expensive shipment instead of just plain FedEx. Maybe they threw it in a truck and piled a thousand packages on top of it, and that crush shorted the pouch cells.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wow, horrible luck. I would think they would use an LTL carrier with more experience handling a large, heavy, and expensive shipment instead of just plain FedEx. Maybe they threw it in a truck and piled a thousand packages on top of it, and that crush shorted the pouch cells.
Or maybe the dealer made up the story to distract the blame on Ford.

We will never know but let’s not start rumors that the battery was at fault.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
I am also in Dallas, purchased from 5 star Ford Dallas. They programmed the extra key FOB for me. The only service I have had is the PAAK update. The car was delivered March 10. I am definitely keeping one eye on this issue. I have kept it charged to 90%, recharge when in the 75%. Hope you get it back soon.
Sponsored