(High voltage battery issue): Jinxed myself... MME Premium ER with "Service vehicle soon" and the dreaded turtle, wrench and error icon

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Day 34: Went in today as the Explorer loaner was approaching the 20 day mark, and so they needed me to bring it in for inspection. Still no ETA updates or anything new on the MME battery order and unfortunately haven't heard anything from Ford Support since 7/15.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 39: latest dealer update is that the battery should arrive in the next couple days so fingers crossed for no more surprises? They're hoping to have it back to me by next week.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yea tell me about it

They didn't say but I can't help but wonder that as well.
There are no apparent recent news reports of a FedEx truck fire during the time frame your talking about. They have a boatload of experience with lithium batteries as well and Ford has a ocean of experience in shipping them too.

There is one UPS truck fire in Lubbock last week and … a UPS vs Train collision, UPS lost that one. Also no known aircraft mishaps.

The usual accidents and the like though. Regardless of why it’s not there though, it sucks.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Day 39: latest dealer update is that the battery should arrive in the next couple days so fingers crossed for no more surprises? They're hoping to have it back to me by next week.
Thank you for your diligence in these updates. It's a fascinating record of your experiences.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are no apparent recent news reports of a FedEx truck fire during the time frame your talking about.
Yep, I've been googling the same thing each day since I found out about it and didn't find anything either. Was hoping to hear from my Ford CES to see if they could corroborate the dealer's info, but unfortunately haven't been able to talk live with them for the last few weeks

Thank you for your diligence in these updates. It's a fascinating record of your experiences.
No problem. Hopefully it helps someone else out there if they ever run into something similar!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yep, I've been googling the same thing each day since I found out about it and didn't find anything either. Was hoping to hear from my Ford CES to see if they could corroborate the dealer's info, but unfortunately haven't been able to talk live with them for the last few weeks
There is a possibility.

Roughly a week ago, a long haul truck driver carrying hazardous materials, rear ended a FedEx truck in Mesquite Texas on some interstate or another. The FedEx truck was not carrying dangerous goods. The long haul truck caught fire.

If the battery was in Texas, I’d lay odds on it being that accident. It would also explain how FedEx got in the conversation.

In reality if Ford is shipping you a whole new battery pack, that’s not only big, but heavy. Probably shipped on a truck line rather than a “delivery service.” Those things are heavy, even by FedEx (or UPS) heavyweight standards.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
There is a possibility.

Roughly a week ago, a long haul truck driver carrying hazardous materials, rear ended a FedEx truck in Mesquite Texas on some interstate or another. The FedEx truck was not carrying dangerous goods. The long haul truck caught fire.

If the battery was in Texas, I’d lay odds on it being that accident. It would also explain how FedEx got in the conversation.

In reality if Ford is shipping you a whole new battery pack, that’s not only big, but heavy. Probably shipped on a truck line rather than a “delivery service.” Those things are heavy, even by FedEx (or UPS) heavyweight standards.
::emoji columbo:: did I do this right?

LadyGator

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Ext. Range
Country flag
DM'd Ford and they created a ticket with their escalated SUV support team today so hopefully they can help move this along. ?

Still no update on my MME from the dealer, but for the other MME that was in the shop at the same time, it seems that 2 battery cells were replaced due to a rupture in the outer shell. ? Hoping it's not systemic or due to the Texas heat...
Thank you so much for chronicling all of this. You can add me to the list of Texas people this is happening to. I have a P-RWD ER in Houston. Bought in May, build date I believe December, have 3000 miles on it. Did leave it unplugged without driving it for 2 weeks in June and it was fine. Its not in a garage but in a car port and only have ever charged it on a 110 regular wall outlet. Left for 5 days, 2 weeks ago, again with it unplugged, and when I got back all of the same warnings you had. Called rhe dealer and I will say they have been great. Don't love my Escape loaner but happy to have one at all. They called this past Monday, after 5 days of having the car, and said they need to replace the entire battery. They aren't sure what happened to cause this failure, but the batteries are on backorder with preference being given to new vehicles headed to showrooms. I asked about Texas heat, if cells ruptured, and if I should have had it plugged in, and they were not sure. They only knew that when they disconnected the HV battery and connected to another system, the car went back to working fine. This is my first Ford, first EV, so I'm not sure of terminology here. While I think I may have needed to have it plugged in for the cooling feature, I need a car that can be in a parking lot, at my work for 8 hours a day, even in August. I'm hoping that when we get our MMEs back this wont just happen again. I DO NOT want to go back to ICEs, but this is making me very nervous!

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@LadyGator sorry to hear about another TX MME facing the same issues, but misery loves company ? Hopefully your battery comes in soon, and that we'll get a better idea of root cause for those of us having these battery pack issues! I agree... Definitely don't want to go through this again. Maybe it's just us December builds or maybe the heat, but really curious what the commonalities are for the battery issues...

VJ2021

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Country flag
@dliunatic thanks for documenting all this.. unfortunately looks like I am in the same boat. Our MME looks to have hit the same/similar issue . Power train malfunction and power train warnings about high volt battery. Got the car towed to dealer and they have just started investigation ?.

Also I am not in TX but in NC.. we have had a high temps (90-95 F) last week but no where like TX heat.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Fascinating thread, and sad and scary at the same time. Thank you for chronicling your experiences.

I just wonder if the recent recall has anything to do with this.......

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
@dliunatic thanks for documenting all this.. unfortunately looks like I am in the same boat. Our MME looks to have hit the same/similar issue . Power train malfunction and power train warnings about high volt battery. Got the car towed to dealer and they have just started investigation ?.

Also I am not in TX but in NC.. we have had a high temps (90-95 F) last week but no where like TX heat.
Do you know what your car build date was? I hope they get everybody's car fixed a quicker than they have been.

VJ2021

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Country flag
Do you know what your car build date was? I hope they get everybody's car fixed a quicker than they have been.
It was one of the early builds.. in late Dec (24 or 27), and they had delayed the delivery for extra checks.. and was delivered in mid Feb.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag

Curious what part of NC. I'm in Hendersonville and working on a house in Tryon. There's the long descent on the highway right before you get to the Tryon exit and I'm wondering if that would cause overheating from charging. I don't have my MME yet but I think about it every time I go down that part of 26.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Wowsa I am just coming upon this thread and so sorry to hear about all the drama. My first edition left me stranded on two separate occasions, but in both situations the dealership had it for about 9 days which seems so nice in comparison to your experience. They were able to get a Ford engineer on site within about 5 days of receiving my car and he was able to fix the battery connector which was the issue in my case and I had the car back a few days after that. Apparently he had to bring the parts with him and was the only one who knew how to fix the car. I was lucky enough to get a loaner from my dealership for the entire time but I was still really bummed about the whole experience since the car left me stranded and I had to walk home. I don't know if the relative quickness in which my car was fixed had anything to do with the fact that I tweeted at Jim Farley to express my frustration. I was nice about it I am told him how much I love the car but how sad I was that it stranded me twice, and he responded the same day and we DMed where he asked me for more details about my vehicle and what dealer it was at. Not sure if I had anything to do with the speed in which they fixed it but it was nice to get a response from him and at least feel like some attention was being given to the problem. My dealer is a certified EV dealership and even they had no idea how to fix it but at least they were nice about it and did a full detail on my MME for me before I picked it up. After two incidents I am definitely wary of doing any long road trips but luckily I work from home and hardly ever leave the city so I will still drive with confidence for now. Car is back to working 100% at this point. Looking forward to hearing additional updates on this issue and to find out when the full resolution comes. Sending good vibes your way...
Sponsored