Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Last month we drove up the highest paved road in North America. That's Mount Evans Scenic Byway in Colorado if you didn't know. My goal was to see how much battery we would use going up and then how much we would regen when coming down.

The drive up was spectacular! It is a narrow road with views for miles and miles, but no guardrails. Of course, one of the benefits of an EV is that you don't lose horsepower at elevation like you do in an ICE vehicle.

Going back down, we were getting a lot of regen. It was really cool seeing the range and battery percentage go up as we went down the mountain.

Unfortunately, we hit a snag on the decent. The car threw a One Pedal Mode fault and then eventually a bunch of others. It was a nerve racking time getting back home! But... in the end, Ford analyzed the car and did a bunch of updates. Car checks out and we have since driven 2,400 miles with some milder descents with no issues at all.

Here's the whole long video. (If you want to just skip the the problems, it is just past the 28:30 mark.)

Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
How long into the descent before it threw the errors?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
So is the car not capable of accepting the speed of regen on that type of descent in much the same way it can't take more than 150kW of speed from a charger???

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
So is the car not capable of accepting the speed of regen on that type of descent in much the same way it can't take more than 150kW of speed from a charger???
It can. I believe it was a software glitch and the car has since been updated. It seems like this is related to the problem some cars had in Norway.

Since the update, I have gone over multiple 10,000 ft mountain passes with long descents and had no issues.

BTW... the car actually peaks at up to 162kW when charging on a 350kW charger.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the vid, nice ride up and then the downhill regen issue reared its ugly head. :( Have you guys gone back to Mt. Evans to retest or any plans to?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Thank you for your videos and feedback. Exactly like you said in the video, we want this car to be successful and the best way to do that is to constructively bring the issues to light so they can be addressed.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the vid, nice ride up and then the downhill regen issue reared its ugly head. :( Have you guys gone back to Mt. Evans to retest or any plans to?
We haven't had a chance yet because we took a two week road trip. We'll do Mt Evans or Pikes Peak in early August if we can. I'm really curious to see how the regen does. Even with everything that happened it was cool to see that we used 0% battery to go from Mt Evans back home (65 miles).

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When charging, that power goes directly to the battery and does not run through the motor. During regen the motor is providing that power and can possibly overheat. Not that it should, but maybe it is tripping some temperature sensor of limit inthe software.

Consider the fact that other manufacturers like Tesla and Rivian have clearly stated you cannot flat tow EVs behind an RV, because is could overheat the motors. The cooling needs to be working to the motors. If you tow an ICE vehicle, even in neutral, you can overheat and damage the automatic transmission.

Ford also states you must use a flatbed for towing in case of a breakdown.

Elduke

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E I wish
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
It can. I believe it was a software glitch and the car has since been updated. It seems like this is related to the problem some cars had in Norway.

Since the update, I have gone over multiple 10,000 ft mountain passes with long descents and had no issues.

Thank you for your informative videos! You guys added all the insight I needed in order to invest in such a fantastic vehicle. Even have my screen protector ready to be applied from your guys suggestion.

I just received delivery of my Mach E last week, there is definitely a learning curve.

Unfortunately I switched off the 1 pedal drive while driving and heard a clicking noise. No warning signs and 1 pedal drive seems to be just as effective in my drives since that incident.

Should I be concerned about the health of the regenerative braking process, since this incident happened?

Also is there a way to measure just how much energy has been accumulated due to 1 pedal driving’s regenerative braking process?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for your informative videos! You guys added all the insight I needed in order to invest in such a fantastic vehicle. Even have my screen protector ready to be applied from your guys suggestion.

I just received delivery of my Mach E last week, there is definitely a learning curve.

Unfortunately I switched off the 1 pedal drive while driving and heard a clicking noise. No warning signs and 1 pedal drive seems to be just as effective in my drives since that incident.

Should I be concerned about the health of the regenerative braking process, since this incident happened?

Also is there a way to measure just how much energy has been accumulated due to 1 pedal driving’s regenerative braking process?
Hmmm... A clicking noise is concerning. I am not sure what to think about that.

On a basic level, I could see the battery percentage move upward from 63 to 71 percent as I descended. There are also ways to monitor the regen activity using something like Torque Pro with ODB2 scanner. I'm just learning that stuff right now and other on the forum have more knowledge about that.

Elduke

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E I wish
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
Hmmm... A clicking noise is concerning. I am not sure what to think about that.

On a basic level, I could see the battery percentage move upward from 63 to 71 percent as I descended. There are also ways to monitor the regen activity using something like Torque Pro with ODB2 scanner. I'm just learning that stuff right now and other on the forum have more knowledge about that.
It was a clicking noise just when I turned off the 1 pedal Driving while going about 10 mph. The clicking noise has not resurfaced other than that initial hiccup. I will keep an eye on how the 1 pedal driving feels but so far so good (
I believe I am being overly concerned in that the 1 pedal driving is just as responsive as before the hiccup)

Keep the videos coming! Thank you

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag

Wonderful to hear! One of my concerns is that it supposedly can't charge at faster than 150kW. Also, how do you like the Grabber Blue? That's what I ordered but I have yet to see the MME in person in that color. I love the RRed, but am a little wary of ordering yet another red car

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Wonderful to hear! One of my concerns is that it supposedly can't charge at faster than 150kW. Also, how do you like the Grabber Blue? That's what I ordered but I have yet to see the MME in person in that color. I love the RRed, but am a little wary of ordering yet another red car
The first one I saw was Grabber Blue while at the LA Auto Show. I actually put in a reservation for Rapid Red Premium, but I really didn't want another red car. But my wife really wanted blue and it kept nagging at me. So last August when Ford did the Mach Drop promotion to open up more First Editions, I went for it and got switched to the Grabber Blue.

TBH, both colors are really awesome if you like "flashier" colors. I'm really happy with the Grabber Blue and think it looks even better in person. But then again, I really think all of they colors look better in person. Ford has done a good job with the Mach-E paint.
Sponsored