Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Be careful on the Pikes Peak drive. Our youngest son totaled our car coming home 3 weeks ago, so it has to be bad mojo on the mountain. Of course, he also totaled my 2003 M3 years ago swerving to avoid a deer too. Horrible luck this kid has. Sigh.....
Sponsored

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Be careful on the Pikes Peak drive. Our youngest son totaled our car coming home 3 weeks ago, so it has to be bad mojo on the mountain. Of course, he also totaled my 2003 M3 years ago swerving to avoid a deer too. Horrible luck this kid has. Sigh.....
Is he getting the keys to the GT?

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
It was a clicking noise just when I turned off the 1 pedal Driving while going about 10 mph. The clicking noise has not resurfaced other than that initial hiccup. I will keep an eye on how the 1 pedal driving feels but so far so good (
I believe I am being overly concerned in that the 1 pedal driving is just as responsive as before the hiccup)

Keep the videos coming! Thank you
The clicking noise you going to hear when you take sharp turns going down a mountain on winding roads. The outside wheel has to travel or take extra revolutions in order to catch up with the inside wheel on sharp turns. One motor with one shaft connected to the rotor even though the shaft floats in the independent suspension setup. No worries damaging the vehicle but the sound can be unsettling.
Ford said that the problem with the Norwegian Mach E was that the motors got overheated due to regenerative energy and a software update was in the works to fix that with an OTA update but for now you have to go to the dealership to update.
Now.....I am not bashing Tesla but that is the advantage that Ford has with servicing the Mach E. Short trip to the local dealership.

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
It can. I believe it was a software glitch and the car has since been updated. It seems like this is related to the problem some cars had in Norway.

Since the update, I have gone over multiple 10,000 ft mountain passes with long descents and had no issues.
What's frustrating is the fact that dealers won't apply these software updates under warranty at a customer's request. It is my understanding that these type of updates are only authorized as warranty claims by Ford after the customer documents the problem.

In my case, we drive between Phoenix and Flagstaff, with an elevation change of 6,000 feet. Coming back to Phoenix (downhill) I'd like to be aggressive and recapture some of the energy I used going up the hill, but Patrick's experience makes me hesitant to do so.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, is the TL;DR workaround to avoid bricking your car when on long downhill stretches to simply turn off one-pedal?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
What's frustrating is the fact that dealers won't apply these software updates under warranty at a customer's request. It is my understanding that these type of updates are only authorized as warranty claims by Ford after the customer documents the problem.

In my case, we drive between Phoenix and Flagstaff, with an elevation change of 6,000 feet. Coming back to Phoenix (downhill) I'd like to be aggressive and recapture some of the energy I used going up the hill, but Patrick's experience makes me hesitant to do so.
I believe you'll be fine. You'll be on an interstate highway and it won't be quite as steep. @dbsb3233 and I have both traveled up and over 11,000 foot passes on I-70 with no problems. I think it may have been the steeper descent on Mount Evans with switchbacks that triggered the errors.

We also have members like @SnBGC and/or @macchiaz-o may have made that Phoenix to Flagstaff trip with no issues.

musgang

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I am planning on taking a similar trip. Can ford dealerships help update my version to the latest to avoid having to deal with this?

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Last month we drove up the highest paved road in North America. That's Mount Evans Scenic Byway in Colorado if you didn't know. My goal was to see how much battery we would use going up and then how much we would regen when coming down.
Thanks for posting the video. Personally, I think the passengers you picked up at the peak sabotaged your car...either that, or you accidentally sealed over the front-end louvers with your DIY PPF ;)

MarleysMME

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Last month we drove up the highest paved road in North America. That's Mount Evans Scenic Byway in Colorado if you didn't know. My goal was to see how much battery we would use going up and then how much we would regen when coming down.

The drive up was spectacular! It is a narrow road with views for miles and miles, but no guardrails. Of course, one of the benefits of an EV is that you don't lose horsepower at elevation like you do in an ICE vehicle.

Going back down, we were getting a lot of regen. It was really cool seeing the range and battery percentage go up as we went down the mountain.

Unfortunately, we hit a snag on the decent. The car threw a One Pedal Mode fault and then eventually a bunch of others. It was a nerve racking time getting back home! But... in the end, Ford analyzed the car and did a bunch of updates. Car checks out and we have since driven 2,400 miles with some milder descents with no issues at all.

Here's the whole long video. (If you want to just skip the the problems, it is just past the 28:30 mark.)

I had same experience. Ford needs to get on this. It's really very dangerous!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/going-downhill-car-won’t-start.7455/post-200767

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I believe you'll be fine. You'll be on an interstate highway and it won't be quite as steep. @dbsb3233 and I have both traveled up and over 11,000 foot passes on I-70 with no problems. I think it may have been the steeper descent on Mount Evans with switchbacks that triggered the errors.

We also have members like @SnBGC and/or @macchiaz-o may have made that Phoenix to Flagstaff trip with no issues.
If you were descending mount evans right now would you recommend, as some people on the forum are doing, to put the car in Neutral and exclusively use the friction brakes for your descent?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

musgang

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I had a chat with Ford about getting these OTA updates before we encounter the issues. I was told the whole downhill problem is only for vehicles built before June 2021. My car was build on June 1st and I am covered apparently. However, they still wanted me to stop by a dealership to be sure.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Just did that drive this weekend, used whisper mode without one pedal and it worked fine. I also took the Mach E up the road to Snowbowl (Mt. Humphreys) and back down with whisper mode and one pedal engaged, never used the brake pedal at all. It worked fine on that mountain.

This was all part of a trip to the Grand Canyon. Going up from Phoenix to GC, I got 3.0mile/KWH, coming home I got 4.4mile/KWH. Did a 25 minute fast charge in Williams on the way and no charging stops on the way home.
Sponsored