Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Driving down the highway to work this morning and hit some trash. I didn't have time to avoid it because I didn't even see it until the last moment due to the car right in front of me driving through it without even pumping the brakes.

When I arrived at work, I noticed a scraping sound while rounding corners in the garage. The only trash I found was a cigarette butt lodged in the trim (disgusting pigs). It appears that the only damage, and cause of the scraping sound, is this: at the bottom of each wheel well, just ahead of the tire, there is a small plastic flap ("wheel spat"?) held in place by two fasteners. Here is a picture of the undamaged flap from the rear driver-side wheel well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? IMG_0335

On the rear passenger-side wheel well, the fastener circled in red above is missing, and the flap was hanging down by the one remaining fastener. I'm in work clothes so I couldn't get any closer for a better look, but I'm hoping that all I have to do is replace the fastener. Anybody know what that part is?
Sponsored

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
it is part of the aerodynamics package on the car. It directs the airflow around the tires. uses a plastic push pin to hold it in place.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it is part of the aerodynamics package on the car. It directs the airflow around the tires. uses a plastic push pin to hold it in place.
Thanks. If I go into an auto parts store, what do I ask for? Is there anything more specific than plastic push pin?

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks. If I go into an auto parts store, what do I ask for? Is there anything more specific than plastic push pin?
No, just plastic push pin. but they come in different sizes so they would have to match something up.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It looks like the same plastic push pins that are found with the front trunk divider. Available at almost any auto parts store. 👍

20221129_084656.jpg

Jtbuster

First Name
Brian oConnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Driving down the highway to work this morning and hit some trash. I didn't have time to avoid it because I didn't even see it until the last moment due to the car right in front of me driving through it without even pumping the brakes.

When I arrived at work, I noticed a scraping sound while rounding corners in the garage. The only trash I found was a cigarette butt lodged in the trim (disgusting pigs). It appears that the only damage, and cause of the scraping sound, is this: at the bottom of each wheel well, just ahead of the tire, there is a small plastic flap ("wheel spat"?) held in place by two fasteners. Here is a picture of the undamaged flap from the rear driver-side wheel well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20221129_084656

On the rear passenger-side wheel well, the fastener circled in red above is missing, and the flap was hanging down by the one remaining fastener. I'm in work clothes so I couldn't get any closer for a better look, but I'm hoping that all I have to do is replace the fastener. Anybody know what that part is?
I know, it is part of you gas tank!

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
@Mirak Did you find a suitable replacement? I ran over something on the highway at night and it broke the pin at the exact same location as in your original post.

I'm thinking this is a design feature to protect your tire from debris at the cost of a single pin. Smart, but now I need a pin :) this zip tie is only going to hold for so long.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Mirak Did you find a suitable replacement? I ran over something on the highway at night and it broke the pin at the exact same location as in your original post.

I'm thinking this is a design feature to protect your tire from debris at the cost of a single pin. Smart, but now I need a pin :) this zip tie is only going to hold for so long.
I used a zip tie and forgot all about it. :) I probably need to get that properly fixed sometime soon.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
@Mirak I braved the zip tie method for a whole six hours before finding a very close match to the original pin. Here's what I found at Advance Auto down the street. The new one is ever so slightly longer, made no difference on install.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20230215_195751

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20230215_195754
Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20230215_195805

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20230215_200307
Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20230215_200238

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
@Mirak I braved the zip tie method for a whole six hours before finding a very close match to the original pin. Here's what I found at Advance Auto down the street. The new one is ever so slightly longer, made no difference on install.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hit trash on highway, help me identify this part? 20230215_200238

Those look like the fasteners used on the dividers in the frunk of some early Mach-Es that shipped with those dividers because the emergency release button inside the frunk didn't work yet or whatever the reason was.