Ho-Hum, Tesla Again, If Anyone Cares

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Oh please. Maybe disconnect yourself from Faux News?

That's the most stupid comment to post but it's a typical thing for some people to say I guess, I don't watch TV, I certainly don't watch the news, If I get an hour or two free per month, I'd be watching Top Gear on Netflix.
Sponsored

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Is that a question or a statement?
This issue is not new, it's old, matter of fact it's very old, it shouldn't take them 4 years to investigate " people's deaths due to faulty systems "
Yes, it should. This is all pretty new technology. I’d like for these systems to be investigated carefully and thoroughly. Especially, the ML-based systems where there’s no algorithm to verify.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is that a question or a statement?
This issue is not new, it's old, matter of fact it's very old, it shouldn't take them 4 years to investigate " people's deaths due to faulty systems "
It was a question (denoted by the ? At the end). You avoided answering whether you have concern over a system that killed people and continues to do so, as recently as last month.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Yes, it should. This is all pretty new technology. I’d like for these systems to be investigated carefully and thoroughly. Especially, the ML-based systems where there’s no algorithm to verify.
I'd like things like this to be investigated immediately, not sleep on it 4 years and wake up two weeks after company owner declare he's voting with the other party and not with this administration.
Fishy as hell.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
Still doesn't answer why Elon has been oh so very quiet when it comes to China's lockdowns. Is he suddenly mute?

Also lets face it, the reason why he likes Obama was because of the billions Obama threw his way so Tesla/SpaceX wouldn't go belly up.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Did you actually read the article, or just rely on the Google machine to find appropriate article titles?
Kangaroo courts refused to convict Lois Lerner. That doesn’t change anything

Engelbert

First Name
Engelbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR AWD
Country flag
I'd like things like this to be investigated immediately, not sleep on it 4 years and wake up two weeks after company owner declare he's voting with the other party and not with this administration.
Fishy as hell.
Not really.

One of the best ways to doom a NHTSA vehicle safety defect investigation before it even gets started is to open its preliminary steps before there is enough data to ward off the inevitable naysayers who claim for one pet reason or another that the agency is "going to war" against the automaker in question.

Meanwhile, the "war" you don't see involves the oft-deployed army of automaker lawyers dispatched at the earliest signs of trouble to stall, stymie, deflect, flat-out-deny, bully, or club into oblivion any consequences the affected automaker may eventually face. This reaction has changed in nature over the years, and interestingly has varied a lot between automakers. Sometimes it has seemed more like education in one direction or the other (or both), or even flat-out cooperation at times. But corporate attorney brigades aren't generally dispatched to foment cooperation, especially when huge dollar figures or long-lasting public perception hang in the balance. Tesla is IMO not particularly likely to buck this trend anytime soon, to say the least.

Bulwarking against all of the above noise, and more besides, to produce a robust and responsible investigation can take a ton of time, particularly when the agency needs to rely on reports from the public (or less commonly from lawyer groups, other groups, or even automakers themselves) to gather the stats underpinning the analysis in the first place. Those reports only come in as quickly as they come in. And what happens if the agency does "too much" to solicit reports about a particular automaker or car, in order to get a better sense for the numbers and speed things up a bit? That's right, apparently they're "going to war" again. :rolleyes:

The timing of any announcement like this is driven by a lot of work that was done months and often years before. Investigating new and frequently changing tech like self-driving takes longer than looking into windshield wipers or powered minivan doors. That would put the lion's share of NHTSA's Tesla work squarely in pre-Elon-GOP-lovefest territory on the calendar.

It's good to insist that any regulatory agency collect proper data and do their homework before publicly announcing initial-stage or full-out investigations of automakers. But if we want them to be more efficient about it, one great way to help that happen is to avoid hyperbolic overreactions, both from ourselves and our elected representatives, whenever NHTSA sets about doing their jobs.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I always thought the “Faux News” thing was funny because that’s not how you pronounce “faux.” Anyway, here’s what I think about people getting in a pissing match about x y z cable news network being more or less trustworthy….

[choose any one of a bazillion facepalm gifs]

Now back on topic, Tesla’s autopilot and FSD are pretty great. They’re not perfect, but are in many ways better than anything Ford offers. They also require big sacrifices. You’ve got to own a Dumpy Looking Tesla, and in the case of FSD you’ve also gotta fork over an extra 12 Gs.

I’m just saying, let’s be factual and give Tesla its due. It’s the least we can do for all our Tesla bros driving those androgynous lumps around town (when they’re not waiting in line for a Supercharger).

Whining about how Full Self Driving isn’t really Full Self Driving is embarrassing for our Mach E Community. Consider this a PSA.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I always thought the “Faux News” thing was funny because that’s not how you pronounce “faux.” Anyway, here’s what I think about people getting in a pissing match about x y z cable news network being more or less trustworthy….

[choose any one of a bazillion facepalm gifs]

Now back on topic, Tesla’s autopilot and FSD are pretty great. They’re not perfect, but are in many ways better than anything Ford offers. They also require big sacrifices. You’ve got to own a Dumpy Looking Tesla, and in the case of FSD you’ve also gotta fork over an extra 12 Gs.

I’m just saying, let’s be factual and give Tesla its due. It’s the least we can do for all our Tesla bros driving those androgynous lumps around town (when they’re not waiting in line for a Supercharger).

Whining about how Full Self Driving isn’t really Full Self Driving is embarrassing for our Mach E Community. Consider this a PSA.
Why don’t we just wait and see what the investigation uncovers before drawing conclusions one way or another. Whether you base a conclusion on a “brothers in arms” argument, an “I hate spaceX argument”, or an “I get my news from xxx” argument, you still are drawing a conclusion before all the facts are known.

Last edited:
OP
OP

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Whining? Please enlighten me. Tesla claims to have Full Self Driving capability in some vehicles it makes. They charged their customers over $10,000 for that option.

Then it becomes public knowledge that some Tesla vehicles have had a tendency to crash into Emergency Vehicles stopped at the side of the road. Stopped, as in not moving.

NHTSA opened their investigation around August of 2021, long before Musk started his political whining in 2022.

Since the start of the investigation in 2021, NHTSA has discovered that even more crashes involving FSD and Tesla Autopilot have occurred.

The agency said it was upgrading its earlier investigation to an engineering analysis after identifying new crashes involving Autopilot and emergency-response vehicles.
NHTSA also said it has expanded its examination of Autopilot to include a wider range of crashes, not only those at emergency scenes. The agency said it would further assess how drivers interact with Autopilot and the degree to which it might reduce motorists’ attentiveness.
Please read Post #1.

So, seriously, how many Tesla's crashing into Emergency Vehicles that are stopped would you need to see before the NHTSA should open an investigation? Anyone?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Whining? Please enlighten me.
I tried to run a search for all posts of “full self driving isn’t really full self driving” and derivations thereof but it overloaded the servers. I’m sorry for that brief outage, everyone.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
For what it is worth, among the 392 crashes involving ADAS use (defined by NHTSA as within 30 seconds of the crash) among all automakers since July 2021, Tesla Autopilot accounted for 273.
Sponsored