Holiday weekend road trip adventures -- wish us luck!!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Hey -- Mach N Cheese is about to embark on a long Christmas weekend adventure to the Sierra Mountains near Yosemite! We're hoping to get in some sledding, snow tubing, ice skating, and general relaxing -- although it appears like it's going to be 60 degrees out. Oh well.

Historically, mountains haven't been the ideal terrain conditions for my car, so this will be the ultimate test of the redesigned HVBJB! Can it handle swinging temperatures, elevation, and low SOC? .... and while the car wears a ridiculous red nose and antlers?

And also -- we were going to have to do this trip with an ICE rental car .... we're going into a DCFC dead zone, nothing nearby. We're only able to make this happen without any stress through the amazing graciousness of a suprise guest from this very forum!

We'll post more later (and of course, my GoPro is mounted and batteries charged for a video!), but in the meanwhile, anyone else taking a notable road trip in their MME for the holidays?
Sponsored

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
.... and while the car wears a ridiculous red nose and antlers?
forum policy is you’re not allowed to make a statement like that without pictures!

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
anyone else taking a notable road trip in their MME for the holidays?
I am leaving tonight to rice farming country for a duck hunt. Hoping my car doesn’t get stuck in the mud. 🤪🐩 It’s just a quick head up there, sleep, sit around in a hole in the ground looking at the sky, then drive back. It should require a couple of DCFCs. I’m told there is a 110v outlet I can use overnight too. 😊🐩

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Hey -- Mach N Cheese is about to embark on a long Christmas weekend adventure to the Sierra Mountains near Yosemite! We're hoping to get in some sledding, snow tubing, ice skating, and general relaxing -- although it appears like it's going to be 60 degrees out. Oh well.

Historically, mountains haven't been the ideal terrain conditions for my car, so this will be the ultimate test of the redesigned HVBJB! Can it handle swinging temperatures, elevation, and low SOC? .... and while the car wears a ridiculous red nose and antlers?

And also -- we were going to have to do this trip with an ICE rental car .... we're going into a DCFC dead zone, nothing nearby. We're only able to make this happen without any stress through the amazing graciousness of a suprise guest from this very forum!

We'll post more later (and of course, my GoPro is mounted and batteries charged for a video!), but in the meanwhile, anyone else taking a notable road trip in their MME for the holidays?
Which forum member owns as DCFC? Haha

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I am leaving tonight to rice farming country for a duck hunt. Hoping my car doesn’t get stuck in the mud. 🤪🐩 It’s just a quick head up there, sleep, sit around in a hole in the ground looking at the sky, then drive back. It should require a couple of DCFCs. I’m told there is a 110v outlet I can use overnight too. 😊🐩
Duck hunt?! I didn't know poodles were duck hunting doggies.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Duck hunt?! I didn't know poodles were duck hunting doggies.
It’s been in our heritage for a few thousand years. 😊🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Holiday weekend road trip adventures -- wish us luck!! 501A2EAD-1767-4B53-A11E-0D5B7DE09B2C
Ford Mustang Mach-E Holiday weekend road trip adventures -- wish us luck!! 212F7BA6-7754-4430-9DEB-6BB8F0E73A50
Ford Mustang Mach-E Holiday weekend road trip adventures -- wish us luck!! 84758AA0-C930-4F8D-9904-C03FA4A15CE0

Yep, there’s a goose in there. Yummy! 😊🐩

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Our ridiculous red nose and antlers (with little bells on them!) guided us to our stop and a splash of electrons today with ..... the master mechanic tinkerer and all around super nice guy, @markboris !!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Holiday weekend road trip adventures -- wish us luck!! IMG_2538.JPG

And our extra-beefy, robust HVBJB continues to have no problems, and performed like a champ, taking our fully-loaded Mach-N-Cheesey MME up to our destination at 4800 ft near Yosemite. Yay!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Holiday weekend road trip adventures -- wish us luck!! IMG_2539.JPG

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm assuming Blippi was banned for this trip out of an abundance of caution?
Oh no, we have to make it a full stresser for the vehicle and driver!

Although seriously, the "Disney Holiday" playlist on Apple Music was on deep rotation the whole time. Nothing like Mickey and Goofy singing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" to accompany the terrain!

mrsiegfried

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag

Reversing my one day Denver-Chicago trek from two weeks ago… except without a human co-pilot and, uh, slightly colder weather (though it was a balmy 11 °F at our first charging stop and 8 °F on the road in NE Colorado on the drive out). Will I get stranded in Iowa? Who knows!

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Reversing my one day Denver-Chicago trek from two weeks ago… except without a human co-pilot and, uh, slightly colder weather (though it was a balmy 11 °F at our first charging stop and 8 °F on the road in NE Colorado on the drive out). Will I get stranded in Iowa? Who knows!
Brrrr.... Your DCFC chargers are working in the cold?

mrsiegfried

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
Brrrr.... Your DCFC chargers are working in the cold?
Well, N=1 worked at 11 °F two weeks ago 🤷‍♂️ First DCFC stop is close enough that I can abort if need be. No rush except to make sure the house isn’t flooded when Denver thaws tomorrow. I’m somewhat optimistic, but I’ll report back. At least EA stations will be empty since we all think they don’t work in the cold, right?

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well, N=1 worked at 11 °F two weeks ago 🤷‍♂️ First DCFC stop is close enough that I can abort if need be. No rush except to make sure the house isn’t flooded when Denver thaws tomorrow. I’m somewhat optimistic, but I’ll report back. At least EA stations will be empty since we all think they don’t work in the cold, right?
Kyle O'Connor / Out of Spec did a whole video today complaining that none of the new EA units whereever he is in Colorado were working with the sub-zero temps -- good luck!
Sponsored