Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Just asking what others are seeing as charging efficiency. I am using an Evelx JuiceBox 40 Amp charger (Costco version) at home. I topped the car to 90% and set up preconditioning. Took a trip this morning - 18.7 miles each direction including a ittle fun with another GT PE on the freeway on the way there and eating a Mustang GT who decided to get his ass whooped at a red light coming home. It was pretty cold, so I had the seat heat at medium and used the steering wheel heat both ways.

Got home and plugged back in. The charger says it gave the car 17.226 kWh to bring it back to 90%. The car says it got 14 kWh in FordPass. Interesting in that the trip details for the return trip says 7.9 kWh used. Simple calculation shows that charging the car is 81.27% efficient with 18.73% lost.

What effectiveness are you seeing? If you can include the charger model, I'll start a spreadsheet to share. Perhaps add your state so we can see if weather/temperature is playing into the effectiveness.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint home flex set to 40A and have been seeing 90% efficiency.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
What was the temperature when you were charging?

The car does have a heater for the battery pack ... I wonder if the difference between what the charger supplied vs. what the car says it added to the battery might be the amount of energy used to run the battery heater?

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
What was the temperature when you were charging?

The car does have a heater for the battery pack ... I wonder if the difference between what the charger supplied vs. what the car says it added to the battery might be the amount of energy used to run the battery heater?
It was 38 when I left the garage here, so I am guessing 50 in the garage. The temp when I left the appointment from parking outside it was 41.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Apples, oranges, and bananas.

Make sure you're looking at the right numbers. And remember, rounding is not your friend for accuracy.

When you plug in your JuiceBox, it will show ONE session for the entire time. Charging the car to 90%, conditioning the car to drive, etc. Then, when you get back and plug it in again, that's a separate session.

So your trip shows 7.9kWh used coming home. You did math x 2 and figured you used 15.8kWh that your charger delivered to the vehicle, right? What about regeneration...?

FordPass says the car was charged to 90%, but maybe it was really 89.51% (78.7kw). Or 90.44% (79.6kw)

To answer your efficiency question, the JB is going to provide electricity to 3 decimal places. FordPass is providing it to zero. So, that 14 could really be 13.501 or 14.444.

1 - 13.501/17.226 = 21.6% lost
1 - 14.444/17.226 = 16.2% lost

I posted here - https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...dollar-is-this-right.11774/page-2#post-290480

that I lost 13.39%. Or 11.93%. Or 14.86%.

I use 12%.
Sponsored