awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Help! My home charger is amber and won’t charge.
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the vehicle? Have you tried turning the circuit breaker that feeds the ESVE off for a minute then back on? Have you tried contacting the manufacturers help line?

jimhill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Malcontent
Country flag
Help! My home charger is amber and won’t charge.
I've gotten that a couple of times. Unplug it from the power source, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. Should be blue and GTG.

OP
OP

awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the vehicle? Have you tried turning the circuit breaker that feeds the ESVE off for a minute then back on? Have you tried contacting the manufacturers help line?
Yes, yes and yes. When I unplugged and plugged back it worked. Thanks!

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Saw the amber light come on for the first time today. I reset the breaker and it is now blue again. So far no issues with charging in my garage on 240.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thanks! It worked!
for future reference. always a good idea to check whether the 240v or 120v pigtail is firmly plugged in to the evse. The owner's manual has a very helpful list of various combinations of warning lights for the evse. the long list of warnings starts on page 155

William

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Mach-E
Country flag
I plug my Ford Mobile Charger into a 110v duplex outlet regularly. I've been doing this for about 3 months. Recently, the first LED showed Amber. The pigtail to the charger was also very warm. I plugged the charger into another duplex outlet located even farther from the breaker box than the one that I normally use. 24 hours later it was just fine and the pigtail was not warm. I read a note on a MME thread that it could be the outlet itself, the connections loose. I turned off the breaker and removed the 53 year old outlet to find it was a duplex 110v Leviton outlet that was installed by pushing the 14 gauge wires into it. The wires appeared somewhat tarnished. I purchased a heavy duty Leviton 110 duplex requiring me to attach the wires with screws. I polished the wires with some emery paper, bent the wires with my needle nose pliers, attached them firmly to the outlet with the provided screws, re-installed the outlet into the wall and finally flipped the 15 amp breaker closed. All seems well, the pigtail is not hot, the three LEDs are all blue and the charger is drawing 11 amps as I expected.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I plug my Ford Mobile Charger into a 110v duplex outlet regularly. I've been doing this for about 3 months. Recently, the first LED showed Amber. The pigtail to the charger was also very warm. I plugged the charger into another duplex outlet located even farther from the breaker box than the one that I normally use. 24 hours later it was just fine and the pigtail was not warm. I read a note on a MME thread that it could be the outlet itself, the connections loose. I turned off the breaker and removed the 53 year old outlet to find it was a duplex 110v Leviton outlet that was installed by pushing the 14 gauge wires into it. The wires appeared somewhat tarnished. I purchased a heavy duty Leviton 110 duplex requiring me to attach the wires with screws. I polished the wires with some emery paper, bent the wires with my needle nose pliers, attached them firmly to the outlet with the provided screws, re-installed the outlet into the wall and finally flipped the 15 amp breaker closed. All seems well, the pigtail is not hot, the three LEDs are all blue and the charger is drawing 11 amps as I expected.
Yes THIS! Anybody with more than a 20 year old outlet should replace it for charging use IMO. Outlets are wear items that need to be periodically replaced! They are very cheap compared to a fire. Luckily the charger has the thermal sensor in the cord which worked as designed to shut down charging before the outlet melted. If you 120V charge every day, check your outlet! Heat = bad connection. Thanks for sharing to raise awareness of the worn outlet issue.
Sponsored