Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid Have ordered Mach-E
Occupation
semi retired
Country flag
Just received build date (Week of May 8th) and I figure it is time to start planning for home charging station. Ford has their product but I see that there are alternatives. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I'm happy with my Chargepoint Flex. You can configure it at different Amperages for plugged in mode (max out at 40A limit for the NEMA-14-50 outlet), or if hard wired you can max out at 50A I believe.

I somewhat wish I had gone with a EA home charger option, since Ford contracts with them and I wouldn't have to download another app for charging, but the Flex provided much better flexibility that I needed.

Atxsw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium Std Range MME, Prius
Country flag
Just received build date (Week of May 8th) and I figure it is time to start planning for home charging station. Ford has their product but I see that there are alternatives. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Emporia one is what I got, its been solid and tends to be one of the cheaper ones I think around $400 now

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are several good ones. I have a ChargePoint but if I ever get a new one it will be a cheaper one as I found I really do not use the intelligent features. Also check with local utility in case they have any incentives.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Clipper Creek
Aforementioned EVSEs as well as all legitimate EVSEs incorporate some Clipper Creek technology.
Clipper Creek is now owned by Enphase. Food for thought: Enphase has introduced its bi-directional EVSE, release date has not been announced. However, I would wager it will be user friendly, unlike the Ford/Sunrun/Lightning attempt.
Stay away from Ford supply equipment. The supply cords/equipment that came w/ your car are not useful. They are definitely not for regular use.
The Clipper Creek EVSEs function flawlessly (5+ years for me). There are no "intelligent" features that get in the way.
We used the EVSE for the first 3 years. We then finally correctly configured our solar and have since used L1 to supply electrons directly from solar. Rotate two EVs, one is plugged most of the time when the sun shines. We rarely use EVSE now - only to make sure it still functions properly.
Have never used DC fast charging. Ford refuses to replace the defective HVBJB and therefore, unfortunately, puts a stop to any road trips.
Recommend staying away from utility company. They want control. Ill advised.

Do not suggest cheap as an option - once you start down the EV path you will most probably stay on it.

Search the forum for "intelligent" EVSEs if you actually think you want one. It will help you decide.

Have fun

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
There are several good ones. I have a ChargePoint but if I ever get a new one it will be a cheaper one as I found I really do not use the intelligent features. Also check with local utility in case they have any incentives.
I, too, have a ChargePoint and no problems two years in. Definitely check for utility rebates. Saved me $500.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Great new resource for this question:

Reactions: ATL

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
The most powerful you can install, I’d suggest, and future proof yourself. Not sure of your domestic supply in the US but in UK some of lucky enough including me have 3-phase so can install 22kw charger instead of 7.5kw for single phase which means full zero to full charge takes just over 7 hours all on cheap(er) off peak rates.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
I recommend evaluating and charting your driving routes, mileage both daily and spanning several days. Know how many longer trips you take weekly, bi-weekly, etc. Reason: You may need only the Ford mobile charger. Although I do recommend charging at the 240V/32A level 2. So, if your driving needs do not require charging faster than the Level 2 Ford mobile charger, no need to spend $400+ on another charger.

Part of your evaluation should also include knowing how quickly you might need to charge to have sufficient range on short notice for a longer trip. Example: I try to charge overnight consistently up to 80% just in case we need the distance for an unexpected longer trip. My wife does not always do this, so if the battery level is at 30% but we need to drive another 100 miles on short notice, we would need to charge right away at a DC fast charger. Only one DC fast charger is near our home so we don't have options.

If you need to be prepared for longer drives on short notice, then installing at your home a faster 3rd-party charger may be needed.

Hope this helps.

MachyGary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e California Route 1 2023
Country flag
Then basic Grizzl-e without wifi has been wonderful. The ford app takes care of the wifi piece.

Starscrean

First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Chargepoint.
So far its been very reliable. Hardwired outdoor.
I like the hard rubber material the plug in has and the swivel ball holster

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Tom Moloughney has another great video that answers the question that should precede the question of which charger to get: which charger do you need?

Sponsored