Home Charging - ChargePoint (6-50 vs 14-50) or the JuiceBox ( 40 vs 48 and plug in vs. Hardwire) ?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
If you aren't going to use the charger that comes with the MME you will likely have to hardwire it. The national code now requires a GFCI breaker on the circuit if you are using a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet. Since the EVSE already has a GFCI, and since two GFCI with different sensitivities on the same circuit can result in unwanted tripping, you'll want to hardwire it. Of course state codes lag the national code, and then there are local codes, so this may not be required where you are. Note that even if it does, the MME charger apparently will work with a GFCI breaker, so you could use a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet with this charger.

I would not bother with charging above 30A. The more amps the less efficient the charging, and 30A will get you about 20 miles an hour. Given cars usually sit for 10 hours a day, and given your commute is 300 miles a week, 30A will give you enough charging and then some. (Also note that buying an EVSE which supports higher charging than you need isn't that wise. EVSE won't last forever, so buying more EVSE than you need is like buying a pair of pants for you son that he'll need if five years.)

Note there are three parts of the circuit. The outlet, the wire, and the breaker. These do not have to match. Since outlets and breakers are easy to change but wire isn't, if you are going to "future-proof" the circuit, concentrate on the wire. However, I wouldn't bother to run #2 copper wire. It would be large and expensive and total overkill. I'd run #6 which would support 40A at about any expected temperature.

Also note that while the saying is "the breaker protects the wire", the breaker also protects the EVSE. Given the wire will be more robust than the EVSE, the breaker should match the EVSE.
Sponsored

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I have a 90 mile round trip commute each week day. I found that the charger that came with the vehicle plenty sufficient for my needs. I have it plugged into a 14-50 that an electrician put in. I only need to charge it every other day. If I so happen to need an extra few dozen miles, I just drive over to the fast D/C charger and spend about 5 or 10 minutes to "top if off."

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Code states 80% for continuous loads, so your 80 is good for 64A. Nothing wrong with a little extra margin!
Actually no. Since he hardwired ChargePoint, it will max out at 50A.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I am new to this EV world, and the MME will be my first EV vehicle. (*** So please be gentle with me***)

I want to install a home charger but I dont know which is better and which is needed for the amount of miles I drive for my weekly commute. *50 miles one way 3x times a week.

It is between the ChargePoint (6-50 vs 14-50) or the JuiceBox ( 40 vs 48 and plug in vs. Hardwire)

I am open to either hardwiring or a plug in, I just want to be sure I am able to make it to and from work, factoring in stop and go traffic. Nor am I moving anytime soon, if this plays a factor in the hardwiring advise.

Please help.........
Depending on your local electric code you might need a GFCI breaker for a 14-50 outlet. In 2 counties in CA where I installed a Grizzl-e charger no GFCI was required. A 14-50 outlet gives maximum flexibility at the cost of 25% longer charging time, but still quicker that the Included mobile charger. After you try the mobile charger then you could decide if you want a faster EVSE. I don’t see the need for a fancy intelligent EVSE since the car is smart and any future car is also likely to be even smarter. In the future you will see cars and EVSEs that will be able to put power back into the grid or your house.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I have a 2-car garage that a previous owner wired with a 240-volt 50-amp sub panel. The Mach-E is currently my only EV, but there is the potential for 2 EVs in the future. So I wired two 14-50 sockets and purchased a JuiceBox 40 Plug-in.
  • Lots of flexibility to move the JuiceBox between 14-50 sockets, or use the mobile charger on the off chance the JuiceBox has an issue.
  • JuiceBox has a load-sharing feature; if I get a second JuiceBox, they can time-share the single 50-amp circuit.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Love my new CP! I plug it in at 40A so, if there is ever a problem with the unit, I can easily swap it out. App is great too, only place to see your charging KW. both CP and Juicebox are available at Home Depot.

Moogly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I am new to this EV world, and the MME will be my first EV vehicle. (*** So please be gentle with me***)

I want to install a home charger but I dont know which is better and which is needed for the amount of miles I drive for my weekly commute. *50 miles one way 3x times a week.

It is between the ChargePoint (6-50 vs 14-50) or the JuiceBox ( 40 vs 48 and plug in vs. Hardwire)

I am open to either hardwiring or a plug in, I just want to be sure I am able to make it to and from work, factoring in stop and go traffic. Nor am I moving anytime soon, if this plays a factor in the hardwiring advise.

Please help.........
I would watch this video from Inside EV - .

Based on your commute you will be fine with any of the mentioned options.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

that looks familiar... oh, I know why :)

this was posted about an hour after the original post:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ultimate Charging Guide | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

I think it's useful to reference it here because some of what is being asked about is indirectly addressed. (The specific model charger isn't but hardwire vs. not and buy versus just use the Ford one are.)

Actually no. Since he hardwired ChargePoint, it will max out at 50A.
I took the statement to mean "you could draw up to 64A on the circuit safely" not "you will draw 64A".

OP
OP
Mhood

Mhood

First Name
Myia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Implementation Project Manger
Country flag

Yes, This video helped ALOT! Thanks!

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I personally had a Nema 14-50 installed with the wiring with a large enough gage to up it to a 60 amp breaker later. My home charger is a Grizzl-e.
My reasoning for the wiring is that is the most expensive part. My home power supply could not support me putting an 80 amp breaker with out a massive upgrade so that is a non option for me.
Either way the nema 14-50 should provide you plenty of power for your daily charging at 30 miles an hour.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Lots of good info here, but I'll add my $0.02. First, check if your electric company has a credit/rebate/discount and look into those units. If not, start with a 14-50 outlet and the included mobile charger that will come with your MME. That will get you about 20 miles/hr of charging, so an overnight charge will easily cover your commute.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I took the statement to mean "you could draw up to 64A on the circuit safely" not "you will draw 64A".
And with ChargePoint you could only draw 50A. And if you use it to charge MME, you could only draw 48A. So I just don't see how "you could draw up to 64A on the circuit".

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And with ChargePoint you could only draw 50A. And if you use it to charge MME, you could only draw 48A. So I just don't see how "you could draw up to 64A on the circuit".
you're reading much too far into it.

The point was, 50A < 64A and 48A < 64A. I don't believe anyone was saying that this particular case would be a 64A draw, just that in theory some hypothetical device would be allowed to draw 64A and still be safe and in code. Therefore there's nothing to worry about here.

Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have a 2-car garage that a previous owner wired with a 240-volt 50-amp sub panel. The Mach-E is currently my only EV, but there is the potential for 2 EVs in the future. So I wired two 14-50 sockets and purchased a JuiceBox 40 Plug-in.
  • Lots of flexibility to move the JuiceBox between 14-50 sockets, or use the mobile charger on the off chance the JuiceBox has an issue.
  • JuiceBox has a load-sharing feature; if I get a second JuiceBox, they can time-share the single 50-amp circuit.
The CPF50 has the same feature. I have looked at the CPF50 and the CPHF side by side and they appear to be identical so I presume the CPHF can circuit share as well.

I haven't played with the JP too much (yet) but I will. The CP can circuit share in a variety of ways. When circuit sharing.....they deliver 24 amps to each vehicle from a single 240v 40A circuit. Which I think is weird but that is when using a 3 phase 120/208 distribution panel. A 120/240 home panel might only allow 16 amps to each vehicle (when 2 are connected at once). I need to learn more about this electricity stuff. The more I learn.....the more I realize I don't know anything. :)
Sponsored