DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
With time day charging enabled, after charging is completed, if a door (not sure if it matters which one) is opened BEFORE the EVSE is unplugged the MME throws a fault and the "Service Vehicle Soon" message appears. As soon as the door is opened you can hear the "thunk" as the EVSE is connected. Maybe opening the door causes the MME to visit the charging status? (Noticed this behavior with other BEVs sans the fault). If the EVSE is unplugged and then the door is opened the car doesn't throw a fault.

Not a huge deal since no real harm done and the message disappears the next time the MME is started, but definitely annoying. Has anyone else encountered this?
Sponsored

WhiteFang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My wife and I have also noticed this same issue, both with home charging and with DC fast charging. It also sends us an error in the Fordpass app. Same for us: it's not a big deal since turning the car off and on clears the fault, and we'd rather not have the car taken away from us to figure it out at the dealer. Curious to hear if others are having the same issue, or if it's just limited to these two cases.

With time day charging enabled, after charging is completed, if a door (not sure if it matters which one) is opened BEFORE the EVSE is unplugged the MME throws a fault and the "Service Vehicle Soon" message appears. As soon as the door is opened you can hear the "thunk" as the EVSE is connected. Maybe opening the door causes the MME to visit the charging status? (Noticed this behavior with other BEVs sans the fault). If the EVSE is unplugged and then the door is opened the car doesn't throw a fault.

Not a huge deal since no real harm done and the message disappears the next time the MME is started, but definitely annoying. Has anyone else encountered this?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

I didn't put 2+2 together with the door thing but that would explain why I've seen this myself - I sat in the car for all three DCFC and all three had this behavior (cf. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/hey-i-have-a-car.4919/post-155712).

so, no, you're not alone!

OP
OP

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I didn't put 2+2 together with the door thing but that would explain why I've seen this myself - I sat in the car for all three DCFC and all three had this behavior (cf. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/hey-i-have-a-car.4919/post-155712).

so, no, you're not alone!
When I unplugged the power line adapters all faults on charging disappeared. I had an adapter on the inside wall, on the other side of which was the garage. I'm thinking opening the door is a trigger but not a cause?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
When I unplugged the power line adapters all faults on charging disappeared. I had an adapter on the inside wall, on the other side of which was the garage. I'm thinking opening the door is a trigger but not a cause?
Power line adapters anywhere in the house are an issue for the MME.

The trigger can be a few things but all revolves around the same thing.

interference

Ford is aware and working on it.

CBrock12

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MachE4X
Occupation
Automotive Sales Consultant for Ford
Country flag
Power line adapters anywhere in the house are an issue for the MME.

The trigger can be a few things but all revolves around the same thing.

interference

Ford is aware and working on it.
It is my second day with the MachE and I got this error. What should I do?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It is my second day with the MachE and I got this error. What should I do?
Do you have any power line adapters at home?

Can you provide more info such as where this is happening and does the MME drive fine with no other issues?

CBrock12

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MachE4X
Occupation
Country flag
Do you have any power line adapters at home?

Can you provide more info such as where this is happening and does the MME drive fine with no other issues?
I’m charging it with a regular outlet, no JuiceBox or anything. I came out to the garage this morning and started it to go to work and it had the “service vehicle soon” notification. It drives fine with no issues at all.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I’m charging it with a regular outlet, no JuiceBox or anything. I came out to the garage this morning and started it to go to work and it had the “service vehicle soon” notification. It drives fine with no issues at all.
This could be because you have a bad outlet and the voltage is too low. Do not use any extension cords. You should have a 240V charger installed. Also, having the dealer perform TSB 21-2171 will update the software so this error won't happen again in the future.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Did you get a red ring around the charge light when you disconnected it? Did the error clear after returning to the car at work?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This could be because you have a bad outlet and the voltage is too low. Do not use any extension cords. You should have a 240V charger installed. Also, having the dealer perform TSB 21-2171 will update the software so this error won't happen again in the future.
The MME works fine at 120V if that is all the he or she has available.

Why are you saying this error is tied to TSB 21-2171?

I don't agree but it's your recommendation I guess.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 4.32.37 PM.png

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The MME works fine at 120V if that is all the he or she has available.

Why are you saying this error is tied to TSB 21-2171?
Yes, 120V will work if it's a good outlet providing good voltage. However, many household 120V outlets are poorly wired or worn out, so the 120V can quickly drop below 100V when a large load such as an electric car is applied. The low voltage will cause an error with the charger, slow charging, or possibly the outlet to melt. This is why I recommend 240V over 120V unless you know the outlet is the first one in the chain wired directly to the main panel with 12 gauge wire (yellow Romex).

The TSB mentions voltage issues on customer premises, which is what I explained above. The software likely changes the voltage thresholds so errors are no longer as likely to be triggered. Performing the TSB is a good idea anyway so you get the latest software on the powertrain modules.

CBrock12

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MachE4X
Occupation
Country flag
I’m not using an extension cord. Thanks for the input!

CBrock12

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MachE4X
Occupation
Country flag
Did you get a red ring around the charge light when you disconnected it? Did the error clear after returning to the car at work?
I didn’t get a red ring. It has not gone away.

CBrock12

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MachE4X
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, 120V will work if it's a good outlet providing good voltage. However, many household 120V outlets are poorly wired or worn out, so the 120V can quickly drop below 100V when a large load such as an electric car is applied. The low voltage will cause an error with the charger, slow charging, or possibly the outlet to melt. This is why I recommend 240V over 120V unless you know the outlet is the first one in the chain wired directly to the main panel with 12 gauge wire (yellow Romex).

The TSB mentions voltage issues on customer premises, which is what I explained above. The software likely changes the voltage thresholds so errors are no longer as likely to be triggered. Performing the TSB is a good idea anyway so you get the latest software on the powertrain modules.
I’m not using a 120, im on a 240.
Sponsored