Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MachE4X
Occupation
Automotive Sales Consultant for Ford
Country flag
Did you get a red ring around the charge light when you disconnected it? Did the error clear after returning to the car at work?
Sorry, I just got in it again and it is gone now. Should I just forget about it?
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yes, but if it comes back again I think you should take it in.
You are providing bad advice which can lead to many wasted hours at the dealer. Yes having the latest update is good but does not solve every problem.

A powertrain failure is a generic message and there is an instance where a device in ones home can cause it. Ford was working on a fix but not sure they released it yet.

I will direct message Cbrock12 and get more information.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You are providing bad advice which can lead to many wasted hours at the dealer. Yes having the latest update is good but does not solve every problem.

A powertrain failure is a generic message and there is an instance where a device in ones home can cause it. Ford was working on a fix but not sure they released it yet.

How is it bad advice? There's a TSB out for his exact problem—it wouldn't charge at home and he got a wrench light. That's why I recommended he go in and have that done. I don't think you've read the TSB, I'm not just making this stuff up.

The TSB is supposed to fix that exact problem if that's not clear here.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag

The TSB which I have posted on this forum (along with all others owners should see) says this exact problem happens and to update modules to fix it. Sounds like an easy fix having it updated to avoid future headaches.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The TSB which I have posted on this forum (along with all others owners should see) says this exact problem happens and to update modules to fix it. Sounds like an easy fix having it updated to avoid future headaches.
Okay

Did he say it would not charge?

If so I digress and apologize.

The TSB refers to 220 and not being able to charge.

In the end I agree he should have the dealer apply the latest updates and see if it resolves it.

Also can pull codes which you know all to well.

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
How is it bad advice? There's a TSB out for his exact problem—it wouldn't charge at home and he got a wrench light. That's why I recommended he go in and have that done. I don't think you've read the TSB, I'm not just making this stuff up.

The TSB is supposed to fix that exact problem if that's not clear here.
The advice is fine to go to the dealer and get updated, we agree. I’m just calling out that the TSB noted might not be the issue as he is able to charge.

I had this similar problem early on and the issue turned out to be interference. Many visits to the dealer and long calls with Ford Engineering resulted in uncovering a bug. I believe it’s been fixed with a recent update and I will ask my engineering contact tomorrow.

not trying to get into an argument, sorry

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I assume you had the issue pre-TSB?

Also if OP sends me his VIN I can pull his codes remotely.

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select Dual Motor Standard Range
Country flag
The advice is fine to go to the dealer and get updated, we agree. I’m just calling out that the TSB noted might not be the issue as he is able to charge.

I had this similar problem early on and the issue turned out to be interference. Many visits to the dealer and long calls with Ford Engineering resulted in uncovering a bug. I believe it’s been fixed with a recent update and I will ask my engineering contact tomorrow.

not trying to get into an argument, sorry
I seem to be having the same interference problem, and the car did go in for TSB-21-2244. Any idea if there was an update for the interference bug?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I seem to be having the same interference problem, and the car did go in for TSB-21-2244. Any idea if there was an update for the interference bug?
I haven't asked for a follow up, I just removed the offending device and the issue went away. Ford Engineering directly told me they had a fix ready, but I am not sure if they pushed it out or not. It requires updates to chip firmware so the MME ignores the interference (something like that, don't quote me).

Does your MME have all the latest updates?

A76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD Extended Range MME Premium
Country flag
I haven't asked for a follow up, I just removed the offending device and the issue went away. Ford Engineering directly told me they had a fix ready, but I am not sure if they pushed it out or not. It requires updates to chip firmware so the MME ignores the interference (something like that, don't quote me).

Does your MME have all the latest updates?
Sorry to jump in late on this thread but I am experiencing a similar issue. After charging (Level 2) I put everything away, get in my car to leave, and get the "Service Vehicle Soon" message.

I am in Chicago so the heat isn't too oppressive. I have only owned the car for 5 days, and the build date was in July 2021.

I have had this "Powertrain Malfunction" issue twice now... once at the dealership taking delivery with only 31 miles on her and once this morning leaving for work with 360 miles. Both times the error message and wrench went away after powering the car off and restarting it.

The car drives fine while the error message is lit up.

I get the following error in the FordPass app:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home charging: MME throws a fault and gives the "Service Vehicle Soon" message Screenshot_20210824-143811_FordPass
Sponsored