Home charging options replacing Tesla charger

MachGeo

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 AWD LR; Mach E GT (on order)
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Good morning, first post here after lurking for over a year. I’m currently a model 3 owner (since mid 2018), am definitely all in on EV’s, and I have been looking at the Mach E since it was announced. I just ordered Friday so I have quite a ways to go before it’s actually here…but the preparing is also fun ?

So my first question revolves around my home wall charger. I currently have a hardwired Tesla Gen 2 charger in my garage. The dedicated circuit is 60A. I was originally just planning on getting an J1772 adapter for the charger but the more I think about it the more I think I may just get a new hardwired one. I don’t have any conveniently placed plugs for the one that comes with the Mach E.

Now to my question…as someone who can follow directions and not afraid to get a little dirty with electrical work, but also definitely no expert either…anyone have experience replacing a Tesla charger with another using the existing wiring? Or am I being foolish even considering it and should I pay an electrician? And secondly, knowing the draw currently to the Tesla charger, any specific chargers I should look into that would not require any modifications other than swapping them out?

Excited to become part of the community and appreciate any advice or thoughts you have!
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Welcome! Since you have a 60 amp circuit, you should get a 48 amp EVSE. I recommend the ChargePoint Home Flex if you’re not in a hurry since it’s out of stock everywhere. If you want something soon, I’d go with the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. If you’re comfortable with wires, it would be very easy to swap to either of these. I have one of each and installed them myself with no issues.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I went with a Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A myself. They also make a 48A version which is hardwired only, as are all other 48A units. The 1.25' cable that comes with the 40A Wallbox was too short to reach my wall stud, so I replaced it with a 6'. Like yourself, I too am no electrical expert but am willing to get dirty. Effectively it's the same procedure as swapping out your hardwired Tesla wall charger, which is simply swapping out the red/black/green wires. Main difference being you gotta make sure you flip off the breaker to your 60A circuit.

I can only speak for myself regarding charging current on a regular basis. 32A is enough for my regular use, but with the Wallbox I have the flexibility to up it to 40A when I do need it. Do you absolutely require 48A charging speed on a regular basis? Makes no difference in your case since you're strictly hardwiring your EVSE. Also like yourself, I came from a 2018 model 3. I bought a Gen 1 Tesla UMC which is 40A before the car even arrived, thinking I'd always want the faster charging speed. I charged the car at full 40A speed for the first two years with about 32k miles on the car. The GOM in my model 3 slowly and steadily dropped over the two years, down to a low of 270 miles. As an experiment, I slowed the charging speed to 32A. Over a period of 3 months or so, the GOM slowly and steadily crept up to 292 miles. By the time I traded the car, it was at 296 miles (just never mind what I actually got out of it, lol). On my MME, I saw no ill effects charging at 40A, with the GOM still showing 230 miles (I have the 211 miles version). I've since changed it to 32A, upping it to 40A as needed.

wallbox2.JPG

wallbox1.JPG

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
A Enel X JuiceBox 48 would work well also.

Biggest challenge is finding the charger. Our installer was a JuiceBox dealer, and had a few. No one else (including JuiceBox or ChargePoint) have any.

Also check rebates where you live. I had the choice of buying the above two brands, and getting $500 back from my electric company, or getting nothing back if I bought something else.

Last edited:

OP
OP
MachGeo

MachGeo

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
thank you so much guys. Lot of food for thought and exactly what I was looking for. The good news is I'll probably be waiting quite a while for delivery (first to ever say that???) so I've got plenty of time to plan it out.

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Another advantage of the Wallbox Pulsar Plus is that it supports power sharing, so if you get another EV and want to install another EVSE, you can setup a second Wallbox Pulsar Plus on the same circuit and the two units will share the circuit. What makes the Wallbox Pulsar Plus kind of unique is that you can do it after the fact (unlike the Clipper Creek units) and the power sharing can happen offline without an internet connection (unlike the Enel X units).

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Good morning, first post here after lurking for over a year. I’m currently a model 3 owner (since mid 2018), am definitely all in on EV’s, and I have been looking at the Mach E since it was announced. I just ordered Friday so I have quite a ways to go before it’s actually here…but the preparing is also fun ?

So my first question revolves around my home wall charger. I currently have a hardwired Tesla Gen 2 charger in my garage. The dedicated circuit is 60A. I was originally just planning on getting an J1772 adapter for the charger but the more I think about it the more I think I may just get a new hardwired one. I don’t have any conveniently placed plugs for the one that comes with the Mach E.

Now to my question…as someone who can follow directions and not afraid to get a little dirty with electrical work, but also definitely no expert either…anyone have experience replacing a Tesla charger with another using the existing wiring? Or am I being foolish even considering it and should I pay an electrician? And secondly, knowing the draw currently to the Tesla charger, any specific chargers I should look into that would not require any modifications other than swapping them out?

Excited to become part of the community and appreciate any advice or thoughts you have!
1. Check with your local electricity provider to see if they have any rebates for installing an EVSE. If they do, sometimes they have a limited list that are qualified for the rebate. Also if installed by end of this year, you qualify for federal tax credit. I am not sure if it has been extended beyond 2021 tax year.
2. You can probably pay for any costs of the new EVSE by selling the Tesla Wall Charger. They are in demand even used, especially if your gen 2 has the 24 ft cable.
3. It might be less expensive to buy a TeslaTap J1772 adapter to use and then you can use it at Tesla Destination chargers on road trips. Just buy one that is rated for 60 amps or more since you have 60 amp wall charger and the Mach-E can handle up 48 amps, same as your Model 3. I use one to charge my MME and have had no issues at all.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Geoff and Andy,

I'm interested in why both of you chose a MME over a Tesla Model Y? I have a GT PE on order, but have seriously considered the Model Y performance edition, but I just don't like the look of the Tesla compared to the MME. Now, if Ford would enable Sentry mode recording.....

OP
OP
MachGeo

MachGeo

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
1. Check with your local electricity provider to see if they have any rebates for installing an EVSE. If they do, sometimes they have a limited list that are qualified for the rebate. Also if installed by end of this year, you qualify for federal tax credit. I am not sure if it has been extended beyond 2021 tax year.
2. You can probably pay for any costs of the new EVSE by selling the Tesla Wall Charger. They are in demand even used, especially if your gen 2 has the 24 ft cable.
3. It might be less expensive to buy a TeslaTap J1772 adapter to use and then you can use it at Tesla Destination chargers on road trips. Just buy one that is rated for 60 amps or more since you have 60 amp wall charger and the Mach-E can handle up 48 amps, same as your Model 3. I use one to charge my MME and have had no issues at all.

1. I did, nothing that I can see for Duke energy here in Tampa (please anyone correct me if you know otherwise)
2. I was thinking that as well...it's a gen 2 with 24 foot cable.
3. It for sure will...but I just know the OCD in me will have issues with a Mach E and aTesla charger lol

Geoff and Andy,

I'm interested in why both of you chose a MME over a Tesla Model Y? I have a GT PE on order, but have seriously considered the Model Y performance edition, but I just don't like the look of the Tesla compared to the MME. Now, if Ford would enable Sentry mode recording.....
Well let me first say that my experience over the past 3+ years with the model 3 has been overwhelmingly positive, a few hiccups for sure, but been a great car. And it definitely sold me on EV's for the rest of my life (until, at least, we come out with nuclear fusion cars or whatever... :p). But in my heart of hearts, I know Tesla isn't a car company. They are going to be here way beyond selling AI and battery technology to everyone else, but I sincerely doubt they're selling cars a decade from now. Plus, I've had 8 cars in my life, and 4 of them have been Ford/Lincolns. I love the brand, have had great experiences with them, and looking forward to coming back home. Plus, I like I bet a lot here...like new stuff lol. Honestly the only thing that I've been reading here the last few days that's giving my pause is the PaaK issues. But since I probably won't be seeing my GT until early 2022...I'm going to bet they will have it all sorted out by them with OTA updates. Because everything else aside...I am never going back to carry keys or a FOB again.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Welcome! There are lots of good posts about chargers, and everyone has a preference. I have a ChargePoint on a 60A circuit running at 48A, and I like it. Not a hard swap for most.

I bought a TeslaTap plug, so I can charge at Tesla Destination Chargers, and since you have one in place now, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to pick one up and use what you have?

OP
OP
MachGeo

MachGeo

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I bought a TeslaTap plug, so I can charge at Tesla Destination Chargers, and since you have one in place now, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to pick one up and use what you have?
that certainly would make the most sense cost wise, but let’s be honest, most here are probably not terribly deterred by a couple hundred dollars.

honest two reasons I’m considering swapping:

1. I’m under the impression that using an adapter full time might not be the best idea and also concerned about the ease of fitting

2. my OCD of having a Mach E in the garage and Tesla charger will eventually explode lol

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
that certainly would make the most sense cost wise, but let’s be honest, most here are probably not terribly deterred by a couple hundred dollars.

honest two reasons I’m considering swapping:

1. I’m under the impression that using an adapter full time might not be the best idea and also concerned about the ease of fitting

2. my OCD of having a Mach E in the garage and Tesla charger will eventually explode lol
So, what is on your short list of chargers? Lots of posts about options and not that many main stream choices.

OP
OP
MachGeo

MachGeo

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
So, what is on your short list of chargers? Lots of posts about options and not that many main stream choices.

Right now I'm heavily leaning toward the hardwired 48A Wallbox. Chargepoint is probably 1-B... Since I won't see my car for at least a few months (wishful thinking)...gonna probably wait and see if any Black Friday sales before I pull the trigger.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Right now I'm heavily leaning toward the hardwired 48A Wallbox. Chargepoint is probably 1-B... Since I won't see my car for at least a few months (wishful thinking)...gonna probably wait and see if any Black Friday sales before I pull the trigger.
Generally speaking, the charger hardware isn't the differentiator with any of these. Short of an inferior quality unit, they are very similar. The thing that sets the units apart, in my opinion, is their application. If you don't need/want application functionality, it is an easier choice. If you want to be able to track energy usage and other things like that, take a look at the app available for a particular charger you are interested in to help you decide. If, for some reason, you would want to charge at a lower rate, it is an easy change within the ChargePoint app vs. moving jumpers on the unit. I don't know how others handle that, so it might not be a differentiator at all.

I think Ford's charger has the advantage of being integrated within FordPass. I would have purchased one if it was available when I got my Mach-E (it wasn't). You still can schedule your charge times/percentage within FordPass regardless of brand, so it might not matter to you. That is why I suggested keeping what you have... there really isn't much to the "guts" of the unit that separates one from another.

For me, my energy provider offered incentives for JuiceBox and ChargePoint, and JuiceBox was back-ordered. It made things pretty simple for me.
Sponsored