Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
My MME is finally in production this past week, and I am looking at home charging options. Obviously, Ford recommend the Ford Connected Charge Station. I’ve read several threads about this option, and plenty of people seem happy. I’ve also read of other options like ChargePoint Flex.

I only have 110 in my garage, and the outlets are either on the ceiling (for the openers) or poorly placed. I’ll have to upgrade the electrics in the garage anyway, so I figure I’ll just install L2.

What do people generally recommend for home charging stations?

Thank you in advance for any input or perspectives!
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The bottom line is there are several good ones so it is just up to you. There are some good reviews of various EVSE’s on YouTube. Check them out. Also check to see if your local utility has any rebates on specific ones. Finally ensure that when you install your 240V outlet that it is high quality. Plenty of threads about installation here on the forums.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I use the Ford mobile charger included with the car. I only charge once every week or even two. I’ve had the car for over a year and a half. I leave the charger mounted and plugged into an electrician installed NEMA 14-50 plug in the garage. I’ll take it with, me just in case, on a long road trip. I’ve never had to use that option in extremis but I have used it, maybe three times for opportunity charging as a bonus. I get the yellow light (search for charger here and you’ll find it.) I figure I’ll keep using it till it either fails or just before three years are up. That’s the low-cost, low-stress option. There are plenty of other opinions on this. Again, search for it here and you’ll find lots to read. Good luck.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Its a great charger. I would recommend a plug in charger if you ever move you can unplug it and take it with you. Or if it fails down the road you can unplug and buy a new charger. Hardwired ones in most cases require a electrician to install unless your brave enough to install it yourself.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Lots of threads on this. First, check for available rebates from your electric provider. That could narrow the field. Second, consider the features you want—smart, dumb. I have a ChargePoint HomeFlex which I had decided on then found out was eligible for a utility rebate. Decision made. No regrets after a year. PS. I did have to hire an electrician to wire and install a 50 amp, 220 volt 14-50 outlet. I sleep better knowing I had a professional do it (hopefully right).

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I used to recommend the ChargePoint Flex, but now suggest staying away from it. I switched from the Juicebox 40 (original one we got in 2016) to the ChargePoint Flex, and was happy with it for a couple weeks. Then they removed the feature to adjust amperage from the app and made it where you have to call them so they can change it remotely.

I don't intend to adjust amperage a bunch, but have solar so being able to adjust it down on lower production days was a killer feature that they just removed without saying anything. I only found out when I was trying to figure out where it went and found a Reddit thread about it.

So don't support companies that just without word remove features from expensive devices like this. Who knows what else they will strip away.

The hardware itself is fantastic, which somehow makes it even worse because I was so much happier with the ChargePoint app over the Juicebox app. Until they made that change.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I personally like the plug-in chargers. You get slightly slower max charging rate, but you can take it on the road for L2 charging at friends/family which can be pretty nice on road trips. For this scenario it’s pretty important to have adjustable amperage, but you don’t need to spend extra for 48A. I almost bought a ChargePoint Flex but thankfully noticed they removed the adjustable amperage feature. I definitely would not buy that (premium priced) product for that reason. I have both a Juicebox and OpenEVSE and I really like them both.
Edit: probably best to stay away from the no-name brands on Amazon. Spend extra on UL Listed models. Emporia is a popular option because it’s both cheap and UL Listed.

Jay_in_Austin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The two features I would look for are adjustable current and time of charge. You probably don't need a high charging current unless you have a long commute on a regular basis. We typically drive 50 miles or less per day. We recharge at 9 amps, 240 volts, every night and that takes about 5 hours. Being a power system engineer, I designed and built our charging stations so don't know any to recommend. I would probably go with the OpenEVSE since they are repairable.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I used to recommend the ChargePoint Flex, but now suggest staying away from it. I switched from the Juicebox 40 (original one we got in 2016) to the ChargePoint Flex, and was happy with it for a couple weeks. Then they removed the feature to adjust amperage from the app and made it where you have to call them so they can change it remotely.

I don't intend to adjust amperage a bunch, but have solar so being able to adjust it down on lower production days was a killer feature that they just removed without saying anything. I only found out when I was trying to figure out where it went and found a Reddit thread about it.

So don't support companies that just without word remove features from expensive devices like this. Who knows what else they will strip away.

The hardware itself is fantastic, which somehow makes it even worse because I was so much happier with the ChargePoint app over the Juicebox app. Until they made that change.
I like our Emporia. Allows you to adjust in one amp increments from 6 to 48 amps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Charging Options Screenshot_20221015_112317

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I will probably go with the Emporia because I already have one of their 16 breaker monitors installed, and its a great product. We also have solar so it can be configured to send surplus production to the EV before the grid.

Plan B would be just go with a 32a charger with good reviews. There are a few available for under $250.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I will probably go with the Emporia because I already have one of their 16 breaker monitors installed, and its a great product. We also have solar so it can be configured to send surplus production to the EV before the grid.

Plan B would be just go with a 32a charger with good reviews. There are a few available for under $250.
I just installed the 16 circuit home energy monitoring system as well. It’s very good and I’m becoming pretty impressed with this company.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I'll be getting a $549 JuiceBox 40 from Costco as I get cash back with their free visa card.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I like our Emporia. Allows you to adjust in one amp increments from 6 to 48 amps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Charging Options PXL_20220929_191907561
Just purchased an Emporia to replace my GrizzlE. The 5%machE code may still work on their site. Another way to get a discount is make an account and put a charger in your cart and leave it. Emporia may send you a 5% code to finish checkout in a day or so.