Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We're getting lots of questions from BEV newbies in here, often asking the same questions over and over rather than searching. To help with that, let's pull together some central data gathering on home charging here. I'll start with some polls regarding charging type, charger brands, charging rate, etc.

Here's the first one: What charger are you using? I know we have lots of different chargers in use. I've made this a Wiki post so hopefully folks can add additional brands I didn't include.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Where’s the option for L2 Ford Mobile Charger?
That’s the “Ford Connected Charging Station” option on the poll.

But maybe poll should be edited to have L2 “Ford Mobile Charger” option, I think lots of people use the included mobile charger with a 240v outlet.

EDIT: I just reread this and think I misunderstood the post as you are asking about what I meant in the second paragraph of my post.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Thanks for this one. Maybe we can pin it?

As far as Charge Point. Is the home flex the preferred option?

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks for this one. Maybe we can pin it?

As far as Charge Point. Is the home flex the preferred option?
Yes, Charge Point Flex.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m rocking the Ford mobile charger.

Pros:
(1) Free
(2) All anybody really needs

Cons:
(1) Nothing I can think of

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Grizzl-E is supposed to be releasing the boards to upgrade your dumb charger in a couple months, I got it verified from them directly.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’m rocking the Ford mobile charger.

Pros:
(1) Free
(2) All anybody really needs

Cons:
(1) Nothing I can think of
The one con I can think of is that it’s plugged into the wall, which makes it more difficult for the charger to be mobile (add in the disconnect/reconnect cycles and their propensity to eventually make the receptacle fail). Of course, this is not a problem if all you do with the car is commute and know where all of your charging possibilities are. ?‍♂?

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
The one con I can think of is that it’s plugged into the wall, which makes it more difficult for the charger to be mobile (add in the disconnect/reconnect cycles and their propensity to eventually make the receptacle fail). Of course, this is not a problem if all you do with the car is commute and know where all of your charging possibilities are. ?‍♂?
I went with the Grizzl-e for this reason. To be honest though, the Ford charger is still in it's original packaging in the frunk where it's sat undisturbed for the last 6 months. I also wasn't sure of the durability of the included charger. I could have gone without getting another charger, but it does give me some piece of mind, just in case of some random unlikely situation where I'm stranded with only access to a regular plug... Maybe it will be a collector item someday :)

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I went with the Grizzl-e for this reason. To be honest though, the Ford charger is still in it's original packaging in the frunk where it's sat undisturbed for the last 6 months. I also wasn't sure of the durability of the included charger. I could have gone without getting another charger, but it does give me some piece of mind, just in case of some random unlikely situation where I'm stranded with only access to a regular plug... Maybe it will be a collector item someday :)
Same for me, except I tested it to make sure it worked. I will be using it on trips.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Same for me, except I tested it to make sure it worked. I will be using it on trips.
I used the Ford charger for a couple weeks before I installed my 48 Amp Emporia. I now have it in my frunk and have used it several times on trips, like when I visited my mom 340 miles away. I put a 50 Amp outlet in her garage so I can get decent charge when I visit. It would take too long with L1 and an overnight trip would require more public charging. Now I can get it up to 100% before leaving the next morning.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I still need to find a 14-50 outlet to ensure mine works Since I have an EVSE that’s plugged into an 6-50R. ??
Sponsored