Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, First Edition rapid red
Occupation
retired (it's great)
Country flag
I saw the thread on the Ford home charging unit. I looked at it for $800 and charging at 30 miles per hour. Also, I considered the Juice box at $619 and 26 miles per hour charging. My question though is with the cable that comes with the Mach E, you get 20 miles per hour of charging. If you just use it for 10 to 12 hours a night you get 200 to 240 miles of range. Why spend the $600 to $800?
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I saw the thread on the Ford home charging unit. I looked at it for $800 and charging at 30 miles per hour. Also, I considered the Juice box at $619 and 26 miles per hour charging. My question though is with the cable that comes with the Mach E, you get 20 miles per hour of charging. If you just use it for 10 to 12 hours a night you get 200 to 240 miles of range. Why spend the $600 to $800?
The included charger is just fine, it supports up to 32 AMPS (7.2 kw), that alone is enough. I doubt you be using the MME for a daily 200+ mile commute. The only thing you need is a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage. Other wise it's 1.3 kw at 15 amps (NEMA 15), however many folks are looking to take advantage of the charger rebates.

OP
OP
jdk22

jdk22

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired (it's great)
Country flag
The included charger is just fine, it supports up to 32 AMPS (7.2 kw), that alone is enough. I doubt you be using the MME for a daily 200+ mile commute. The only thing you need is a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage. Other wise it's 1.3 kw at 15 amps (NEMA 15), however many folks are looking to take advantage of the charger rebates.
Yes, I'm getting a 240v outlet installed in the garage and I was thinking I would get one of the units discussed, but the more I thought about it, it seems like an unnecessary expense.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
We have a ton of topics on this already, as you can probably imagine :) Some people like it, but it's absolutely not necessary.
I have the Grizzl-E charger.

I suggest you check out the topics in this forum to catch up on the discussion:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/forums/battery-charging.8/

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
We have a ton of topics on this already, as you can probably imagine :) Some people like it, but it's absolutely not necessary.
I have the Grizzl-E charger.

I suggest you check out the topics in this forum to catch up on the discussion:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/forums/battery-charging.8/
yup and agreed, the advantage would come from a smart charger that links to an app with more detailed output and or control. Not needed as the included charger is really good enough.

JayDoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey , BMW 320i
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
although a home charger is not an insignificant cost, pulling the portable charger in and out of your vehicle for months and years is likely to get old. I'm planning on leaving the provided charger in the "frunk" for use when I'm out and about.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
although a home charger is not an insignificant cost, pulling the portable charger in and out of your vehicle for months and years is likely to get old. I'm planning on leaving the provided charger in the "frunk" for use when I'm out and about.
This..

and the fact that 14-50 really aren't designed for constant insertion/removal of the plug.

OP
OP
jdk22

jdk22

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired (it's great)
Country flag
I just discovered that my power company (east TN) gives a $500 credit toward that purchase. Looks like I'm getting a wall unit.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I just discovered that my power company (east TN) gives a $500 credit toward that purchase. Looks like I'm getting a wall unit.
That'll cover the price of Grizzl-E. You can have them set the switches to the right amperage for your circuit. In Tennessee, you don't need the premium cable.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That'll cover the price of Grizzl-E. You can have them set the switches to the right amperage for your circuit. In Tennessee, you don't need the premium cable.
Interestingly, I ordered the standard cable, and they still sent me the super thick premium cable. I don't really mind, though.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This..

and the fact that 14-50 really aren't designed for constant insertion/removal of the plug.
The Leviton Home Depot $10 outlet isn’t good for constant removal but the Hubble one for EV use is. However if one is new to EV’s I can understand the thinking that carrying around the cable will come in handy but I would wait till you have it for a bit. Also the Ford supplied one has a pig tail, you can remove the pig tail and not the 14-50 plug. There’s no need to carry the 14-50 around, your not likely to find it readily available for use. If one is able to get a rebate then it makes more sense otherwise it’s just another expense.

I get the idea of carrying one around but I can say from personal experience I rarely use it. I own a few from prior EV’s.

226ra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium (RWD)
Country flag
I leave the portable charger supplied with my Honda Clarity plugged into my garage wall outlet. I’ve never needed it when out and about. Just use a public charger in those instances. I think it’s fantastic that Ford is providing us with a Level 2 charger with the car.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interestingly, I ordered the standard cable, and they still sent me the super thick premium cable. I don't really mind, though.
The super thick one is the standard. The premium one is more flexible and designed not to harden below -10C

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Leviton Home Depot $10 outlet isn’t good for constant removal but the Hubble one for EV use is. However if one is new to EV’s I can understand the thinking that carrying around the cable will come in handy but I would wait till you have it for a bit. Also the Ford supplied one has a pig tail, you can remove the pig tail and not the 14-50 plug. There’s no need to carry the 14-50 around, your not likely to find it readily available for use. If one is able to get a rebate then it makes more sense otherwise it’s just another expense.

I get the idea of carrying one around but I can say from personal experience I rarely use it. I own a few from prior EV’s.
YEah. I found carrying around the portable charger is damn near useless. Most commercial chargers have a j1227. If you go to private residences, most people don't have an empty 14-50 or 6-50 socket lying around. Usually it's L1 120V so charging on site is really slow.

That leaves teh occasional trip to camp grounds that might have a plug.

If I was using teh Ford supplied charger, I would just leave it plugged in teh wall.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
The primary use case for faster charging is when one comes home late at night with essentially an "empty" battery, and has to get up early and go a long distance. I guess a secondary use case is the scenario of two EV's, and one place to charge.

I've got a Clipper Creek HCS-40 which supplies 32 AMPS. If I'm going to go through the hassle of upgrading, it'll be to an HCS-80 with 64 AMPS so I can skip this exercise for my next vehicle, which undoubtedly will be able to accept more than 48.

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/64-amp-rugged-evse?sort=p.price&order=DESC
Sponsored