Home Level 2 Charger Issues

Moogly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
On the advice of another forum member, I started reading this thread over again. I realized something: At my house, I have a whole house power conditioner, surge protector, circuit monitor direct wired on my incoming 240 V power. Within a couple of months after installation, there was a red light on one 120V leg. Thought it was a defective device, but electrician who installed it said it was on the Edison side. Everything still worked inside the house regardless of power side in the panel - because the device was making up the difference and although Edison was only providing 95 V on one leg, all power inside my house was still at 120V per leg. Edison came out a few days later and then spent half a day rewiring an underground transformer that served 4 houses including mine. Voltage went back to where it should be - however, Edison was supplying about 245 V most of the time, but inside my house was always steady at 240 V. OP mentions in first threads seeing 256 V across the two legs. A power regulator might help get the voltage to 240 V. Still doesn't answer the question why other EV brands did not have problems, though.
That's good to known. Can you please provide additional details about the Power Conditioner you have at your house?
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On the advice of another forum member, I started reading this thread over again. I realized something: At my house, I have a whole house power conditioner, surge protector, circuit monitor direct wired on my incoming 240 V power. Within a couple of months after installation, there was a red light on one 120V leg. Thought it was a defective device, but electrician who installed it said it was on the Edison side. Everything still worked inside the house regardless of power side in the panel - because the device was making up the difference and although Edison was only providing 95 V on one leg, all power inside my house was still at 120V per leg. Edison came out a few days later and then spent half a day rewiring an underground transformer that served 4 houses including mine. Voltage went back to where it should be - however, Edison was supplying about 245 V most of the time, but inside my house was always steady at 240 V. OP mentions in first threads seeing 256 V across the two legs. A power regulator might help get the voltage to 240 V. Still doesn't answer the question why other EV brands did not have problems, though.
As noted in a previous post I also did wonder if someone wanted to try an avr to rule that out. You have an avr and it is providing clean 240V but not in the right geographical area.

Could be something similar to my problem and the schedule? Instead of resetting to defaults all the time however, it just ignores that time frame and refuses to charge on the weekend schedule even if defaulted? One poster noted it worked once which could be hit and miss like my experiences with the charging schedule (random resets). Appears also this inconvenience is like mine and not a quick fix or not that important. Charging and the charging schedule appears to be geographically tied; this based on most not having similar problems running the same software. This vehicle may phone home more than what is good for it adding complexity to something that should be simple.

Curt

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Went to my Florida dealer to ensure my case was at least logged. The service tech started talking about the plug being properly seated in the mobile charger. I talked the sales guy into letting me take another Mach-E to my house to try and charge to see if the problem is unique to my vehicle. They couldn't find the key to the one they have on the lot, they'll call me when they find it. You can't make this stuff up.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
Went to my Florida dealer to ensure my case was at least logged. The service tech started talking about the plug being properly seated in the mobile charger. I talked the sales guy into letting me take another Mach-E to my house to try and charge to see if the problem is unique to my vehicle. They couldn't find the key to the one they have on the lot, they'll call me when they find it. You can't make this stuff up.
My dealer asked me to try another mobile charger (which I'm sure they took out of another MME). Told them I already did that with another MME owner nearby before I brought the problem to their attention. I know my local guy is trying, but they just don't have a sense of urgency and despite coaxing seem reluctant to escalate beyond the dealership.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My dealer asked me to try another mobile charger (which I'm sure they took out of another MME). Told them I already did that with another MME owner nearby before I brought the problem to their attention. I know my local guy is trying, but they just don't have a sense of urgency and despite coaxing seem reluctant to escalate beyond the dealership.
Mine also is not a charger problem with two tested same problem; just does not work. Can't workaround something with no workaround. Shows me that when an EV does not charge right how much of a hassle it becomes for the owner. Dealer/Ford seem to like to imply I settings to death the hardware ? ??. Right could never format and reinstall to get rid of a users settings. Those settings just would crippled the cpu and the ram now that is too funny.

No problems with the go part but the charging all around has been less than stellar. After close to 2 months it has become a bit of a constant hassle for sure and would really like it fixed.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Dealer/Ford seem to like to imply I settings to death the hardware ? ??. Right could never format and reinstall to get rid of a users settings. Those settings just would crippled the cpu and the ram now that is too funny.
No, the real problem is that you drive the car. If you didn't do that you wouldn't need to charge it and you wouldn't have any issues.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That's good to known. Can you please provide additional details about the Power Conditioner you have at your house?
Intermatic Panel Guard, Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor, Model IG1240RC. Installed about 15 years ago, there are newer models available now.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Mine also is not a charger problem with two tested same problem; just does not work. Can't workaround something with no workaround. Shows me that when an EV does not charge right how much of a hassle it becomes for the owner. Dealer/Ford seem to like to imply I settings to death the hardware ? ??. Right could never format and reinstall to get rid of a users settings. Those settings just would crippled the cpu and the ram now that is too funny.

No problems with the go part but the charging all around has been less than stellar. After close to 2 months it has become a bit of a constant hassle for sure and would really like it fixed.
Sorry, if this was answered in one of the earlier 500 posts in this thread: Has the Dealer reflashed the charging control module? My dealer told me there are 10 to 12 individual control modules that operate the car. All of my control modules were "updated" the day I picked up my car, by the dealer. Took about 3 hours. Kind of like re-installing an app on your phone or computer when it is acting up because something got corrupted.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Sorry, if this was answered in one of the earlier 500 posts in this thread: Has the Dealer reflashed the charging control module? My dealer told me there are 10 to 12 individual control modules that operate the car. All of my control modules were "updated" the day I picked up my car, by the dealer. Took about 3 hours. Kind of like re-installing an app on your phone or computer when it is acting up because something got corrupted.
I've asked the dealer about reflashing modules, and the response was a puzzled look. Perhaps the next dealer will understand what I mean.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The dealer would not provide the work order when I asked. It was in for 4 days 2 weekend days for this problem with no fix. They told me I have all the latest and greatest firmware on all modules as of a couple of weeks ago. It now lights up on approach before it did not. They told me my schedule was ignored and did not work there either. Still operating in good faith nothing in writing. Not too interested in hearing again it was my settings that caused the problem that it never worked from day one. Certain process when they are able to speculate stupid user but that time frame has come and gone. The schedule will hold on every stage sometimes (random) but will never run two and of course not three consecutively triggers. Resets to defaults as soon as plugged in, once charging is triggered and once charging is complete. Even if you stop charging it will reset and charge whenever it likes to 100%. It will eventually reset to default and charge immediately and to 100%. There is no stopping it from charging to 100% if left plugged in and there is no way to schedule off peak charging times. Basically scheduling does not exist except to tease you it may work this time. It does not.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just came back from dealer who just had a 14-50 outlet installed. And of course my mobile charger works there.

Their next step is to contact their zone/district service manager for guidance/next steps. And still haven't heard back on the hotline case which apparently is still under investigation with the Engineering team.

I'm also going to open a case with Customer Relations as another means to bring visibility to this issue.

For setting expectations for everyone as owners with issues.....local service departments will NOT work outside the box regarding any requests for escalation. They will only work through the processes they know. When I've tried to persuade them to escalate, It's like I'm speaking a foreign language. When asked who at the dealership has a voice to do any escalation.......crickets.

Stay tuned.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Just came back from dealer who just had a 14-50 outlet installed. And of course my mobile charger works there.
As has been pointed out, a dealership typically only has 3-phase power provided by the utility which would result in a 208 V NEMA 14-50 outlet which isn't a good representation of what you have in your house, which is likely a split-phase 240 V outlet. So I wouldn't call that test conclusive, especially if high voltage sensitivity has anything to do with it (still speculation at this point but there certainly is evidence towards this from an outsider's perspective).

When I've tried to persuade them to escalate, It's like I'm speaking a foreign language. When asked who at the dealership has a voice to do any escalation.......crickets.
If you're getting crickets for that, good luck explaining the difference between 3 phase 208 V and split-phase 240 V at the outlet. ?

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
Just had my car checked by a Ford engineer at my dealership, here is the message I received from the service department:
Unfortunately, we know what the problem is, but Ford has to build an over the air update program and then your problem will be solved. This is in the process, but not ready as of yet. Should have a better idea later part of next week as to exactly when this can be done.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just had my car checked by a Ford engineer at my dealership, here is the message I received from the service department:
Unfortunately, we know what the problem is, but Ford has to build an over the air update program and then your problem will be solved. This is in the process, but not ready as of yet. Should have a better idea later part of next week as to exactly when this can be done.
Which dealership are you working with?

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
As has been pointed out, a dealership typically only has 3-phase power provided by the utility which would result in a 208 V NEMA 14-50 outlet which isn't a good representation of what you have in your house, which is likely a split-phase 240 V outlet. So I wouldn't call that test conclusive, especially if high voltage sensitivity has anything to do with it (still speculation at this point but there certainly is evidence towards this from an outsider's perspective).

If you're getting crickets for that, good luck explaining the difference between 3 phase 208 V and split-phase 240 V at the outlet. ?
3 Phase power has 2 different systems, WYE = 120/208 DELTA =277/480
If they have DELTA they would use a transformer to step it down to
120/240. This is common everywhere.
Sponsored