Homelink or other method of allowing remote control of garage doors and neighborhood gates

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Some cars come with Homelink - usually built into the front inside roof area - above the rearview mirror. This allows the driver to control gates and garage doors remotely. Could also be done by the Sync system I suppose - does anyone know if this is a feature of the car or the new Sync system? Thanks
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Some cars come with Homelink - usually built into the front inside roof area - above the rearview mirror. This allows the driver to control gates and garage doors remotely. Could also be done by the Sync system I suppose - does anyone know if this is a feature of the car or the new Sync system? Thanks
Looks as though all Mach-Es come with Homelink.

No idea if there is any SYNC integration, but I am doubtful.

I'm mildly bummed. My community is gated (blyech!) and I am *finally* getting a car with Homelink, so the HOA decides it's time to upgrade the 20-25 year old gate controllers with new ones that use RFID. And the RFID strips are apparently stickers we're supposed to attach to the driver side headlight. Possibly this one?

Sounds really tacky to me, and I won't get to use Homelink to open the community gate. The better solution would have been to remove the community gates. :)

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Based on user metrics, Homelink is the least used feature of a vehicle. Maybe the 5 people in the Homelink users group can chime in, lol...

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Based on user metrics, Homelink is the least used feature of a vehicle. Maybe the 5 people in the Homelink users group can chime in, lol...
What makes you say Homelink isn't used very much? I had it on the car before my last and loved it, new model that I currently own doesn't have it and I hate having to use the garage door remote. Personally will be very happy to have it back with the Mach-E.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
One of the 5 here I guess. I use it on both cars to open my garage door, so am happy it's available.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
What makes you say Homelink isn't used very much? I had it on the car before my last and loved it, new model that I currently own doesn't have it and I hate having to use the garage door remote. Personally will be very happy to have it back with the Mach-E.
Actual usage data. If you like Homelink, make some noise about it, because it is close to being killed off.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
All 3 cars in my household have Homelink, and it’s used every day to open and close the garage door.

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Looks as though all Mach-Es come with Homelink.

No idea if there is any SYNC integration, but I am doubtful.

I'm mildly bummed. My community is gated (blyech!) and I am *finally* getting a car with Homelink, so the HOA decides it's time to upgrade the 20-25 year old gate controllers with new ones that use RFID. And the RFID strips are apparently stickers we're supposed to attach to the driver side headlight. Possibly this one?

Sounds really tacky to me, and I won't get to use Homelink to open the community gate. The better solution would have been to remove the community gates. :)

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Actual usage data. If you like Homelink, make some noise about it, because it is close to being killed off.
I mean the current integration in the driver mirror is "dumb" right? So there's no reporting back to Ford if it's ever used.

But if it was integrated directly into SYNC (similar to how Tesla does it) then they could actually get usage statistics.

I really wouldn't want to own a car without Homelink.

What I particularly love is that Tesla automatically pops up the Homelink button when the GPS knows I'm within range. It feels like the car is "welcoming me home" and I like that a lot.

PS20221

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Santa Fe, ordered MME premium, x rwd, in carbonized grey
Country flag
I can’t imagine anyone who would not use homelink, unless they don’t have a garage. I have two garage doors, so my homelink is programmed to both, along with my mother’s garage door. I would not want to carry around 3 garage door remotes in my car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Those who use it, use it regularly. It doesn't work on my carport -- no door!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Order Guide lists
  • UniversalGarageDoorOpener(UGDO)

You'll note that it is distinctly separated from the Sync 4A system. We have no idea if the two are integrated.

Attachments

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
The Order Guide lists
  • UniversalGarageDoorOpener(UGDO)

You'll note that it is distinctly separated from the Sync 4A system. We have no idea if the two are integrated.
I know the buttons are on the visor. Maybe there will be another screen option, but doubtful.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have always used homelink on every car I owned that had it. I had a 2000 Mazda Miata that didn’t have homelink, so I had the factory mirror replaced with an auto dimming mirror that has homelink.
I bought the chamberlain kit that makes their garage doors HomeKit compatible - utter garbage. Despite spending hours on the phone with useless chamberlain support and multiple resets of the two separate boxes required for the system, I’ve only had it work successfully for about a week out of the 2 years I’ve owned it - even though it randomly sends me HomeKit alerts telling me my garage door has opened or closed, when nothing has happened.
I doubt the Ford homelink will be integrated in any way with Sync 4A, but it would be nice ?
Sponsored