Homelink or other method of allowing remote control of garage doors and neighborhood gates

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I can’t imagine anyone who would not use homelink, unless they don’t have a garage. I have two garage doors, so my homelink is programmed to both, along with my mother’s garage door. I would not want to carry around 3 garage door remotes in my car.
I think a lot of people with visor based Homelink don't know what those random buttons even are and don't read the manual.

If it was integrated into SYNC I think that'd be a different story.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have always used homelink on every car I owned that had it. I had a 2000 Mazda Miata that didn’t have homelink, so I had the factory mirror replaced with an auto dimming mirror that has homelink.
I bought the chamberlain kit that makes their garage doors HomeKit compatible - utter garbage. Despite spending hours on the phone with useless chamberlain support and multiple resets of the two separate boxes required for the system, I’ve only had it work successfully for about a week out of the 2 years I’ve owned it - even though it randomly sends me HomeKit alerts telling me my garage door has opened or closed, when nothing has happened.
I doubt the Ford homelink will be integrated in any way with Sync 4A, but it would be nice ?
I have a pretty "smart" home, including my garage door. It's a Z-WAVE unit that works well, but I still prefer to have an easily accessible button to push. It's less cumbersome than activating whatever smart assistant and asking it to open the door (I could use smart automations to make it easier, but I don't trust having my garage door on any automations).

Mostly use the smart garage door opener when I'm not in my car and need to open it - those times make it worth it.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Based on user metrics, Homelink is the least used feature of a vehicle. Maybe the 5 people in the Homelink users group can chime in, lol...
HomeLink is one of my most desired features. Have had it in every car for maybe 20 years. Was not happy when it was not included with the Bolt EV. Looking forward to having it on Mach-E. Are you suggesting that most people want to carry around a garage door opener device or am I missing something. By the way, having a garage door opener that can be stolen inside the car is a home entry risk factor. I can use MyQ with my garage door opener but much prefer just pushing a button in the car rather than needing to use MyQ from my watch or phone.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Use it on both current cars, and on all previous car that had it.
I wonder what “usage data” reflects otherwise as I don’t see how anyone would know whether I use the feature or not except by survey.

SONEWBE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We use homelink everyday to open and close our garage door. I wish our driveway gate had it. We have to use a separate remote for it. I sure hope it does not become obsolete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Macchiaz-o. and ChasingCoral for the information - glad to know that Homelink is in the car - I guess I'm ok with it not being in the Sync system - its just a quick button push which is easily accessible - all of the the cars that we have had that have had Homelink have 3 buttons max.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Are we talking about those buttons on the sun visor? If so, we used them on our Explorer and C-Max. I could use them on my F-250 and Focus because I carry two remote controls around with me now. One for home and the other for work.
Nice to hear the MME will have that feature. :)

Benken

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE, 2019 Q5, 2006 999, 2012 Diavel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What makes you say Homelink isn't used very much? I had it on the car before my last and loved it, new model that I currently own doesn't have it and I hate having to use the garage door remote. Personally will be very happy to have it back with the Mach-E.

Benken

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE, 2019 Q5, 2006 999, 2012 Diavel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t think it’s your problem. There are definitely software issues. we all need to raise the issue to customer service Or better yet the executive complaint department. Not sure how I got there nor can I find it again. Will keep looking And post if I find it again.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
I mean the current integration in the driver mirror is "dumb" right? So there's no reporting back to Ford if it's ever used.

But if it was integrated directly into SYNC (similar to how Tesla does it) then they could actually get usage statistics.

I really wouldn't want to own a car without Homelink.

What I particularly love is that Tesla automatically pops up the Homelink button when the GPS knows I'm within range. It feels like the car is "welcoming me home" and I like that a lot.
If you have the Chamberlain/LiftMaster Homekit Home Bridge installed a button pops up when you approach your home.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Homelink or other method of allowing remote control of garage doors and neighborhood gates IMG_0279

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I've been using Homelink in all my cars, I can't believe anybody who has it working wouldn't use it.
My garage door opener also connected to internet, so Chamberlain app on the phone can open/close garage, gives notifications, and keeps record. Amazon is also using it for in-garage deliveries.
Sponsored