Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I believe it is true that there is more negative environmental impact when manufacturing a BEV vs a traditional ICE vehicle. The kicker is that the break-even point is about 20k miles - after which the BEV is much better for the environment. (I recently either read that or saw it on youtube, can't remember where so take it with a grain of salt).
That information is generally correct. The exact breakeven point is determined by how clean the electricity put into the battery is generated. The average is around 15k to 20k miles, but can be higher or lower if you're in west virginia or have solar panels. Here's a website with comparitive analysis: https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

I would not do anything else for a living. 80% of my job is showing compassion and listening.
I initially didn't want to comment because I didn't want to sound condescending or pretentious, but what you do is far more important than what I do. It takes a special sort of person to be able to do what you do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
That information is generally correct. The exact breakeven point is determined by how clean the electricity put into the battery is generated. The average is around 15k to 20k miles, but can be higher or lower if you're in west virginia or have solar panels. Here's a website with comparitive analysis: https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

I initially didn't want to comment because I didn't want to sound condescending or pretentious, but what you do is far more important than what I do. It takes a special sort of person to be able to do what you do.
Thank you.❤ You guys made my day better.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
funny post, Tanya! I’ve been through the stupid comments too. I call it, curious envy. 🥹👍 ever wonder where they read these things? 😉

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
funny post, Tanya! I’ve been through the stupid comments too. I call it, curious envy. 🥹👍 ever wonder where they read these things? 😉
Back of a cereal box?🤷🏾‍♀️

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xE HA/Range Rover Sport SVR/Audi A7
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
@TonyaE - There are a lot of people in this world that you interact with that will suck the energy from you for various reasons. And there are a rare few that you meet that have enough positive energy that a little bit rubs off on you after interacting with them and you walk away feeling replenished.

My guess is that you are one of the rare few and the world thanks you for the energy that you give back!

Have a wonderful day!

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
@TonyaE, you inspired me. I thought it was so nice of you to show your appreciation to your service department who worked hard to figure out your issue. I have come to realize that these vehicles have been challenging to the service techs sometimes. I too recently had an issue that I could tell was frustrating, but was finally fixed. So this am I got some breakfast for them. I brought it myself though so there would be no mix-ups.
Hope you have started a trend with your attitude of gratitude. 🙂

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
@TonyaE, you inspired me. I thought it was so nice of you to show your appreciation to your service department who worked hard to figure out your issue. I have come to realize that these vehicles have been challenging to the service techs sometimes. I too recently had an issue that I could tell was frustrating, but was finally fixed. So this am I got some breakfast for them. I brought it myself though so there would be no mix-ups.
Hope you have started a trend with your attitude of gratitude. 🙂
I love it!❤

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
@TonyaE - There are a lot of people in this world that you interact with that will suck the energy from you for various reasons. And there are a rare few that you meet that have enough positive energy that a little bit rubs off on you after interacting with them and you walk away feeling replenished.

My guess is that you are one of the rare few and the world thanks you for the energy that you give back!

Have a wonderful day!
You guys really are a wonderful group of people. Thank you❤

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I agree people naturally resist change. That is human nature. But a lot of what people are saying has truth behind it.

I am not saying that a 1950s diesel truck has a similar impact on the environment as a brand new MME, but it is a fact that any 5,000 pound object that you move from point A to point B is going to impact the environment. In fact, BEVs have some environmental impacts that ICE cars do not have, and they should not be shrugged off. And when people bring up those valid issues, we should not just discount them.

The MME is a fast car that uses a lot of energy. It is debatable whether or not a SMART car (that tiny death trap) has less of an environmental impact than my MME. I bet a SMART car has less of an impact. Or a motorcycle. I am sure a motorcycle has significantly less of an environmental impact than my MME.

Some of these posts sound a little arrogant, like those ICE driving idiots don't know anything and we are so smart. I don't agree with that at all.
an econo ice car is actually the most environmentally friendly currently. But if battery recycling is in the picture, BEVs are.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
It's funny, I haven't had a comment yet about battery longevity. I've had insane discussions about how "electric isn't actually better for the environment". One of by friend's boyfriend's tried to say that his 94 Cummins diesel was about as environmentally friendly.
Tell him "nice diseasel"
Sponsored