Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hi,
This might be easy but I have searched for the setting and not found it. Is there a way to have the Mustang Mach E lock automatically but not honk the horn?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Hi,
This might be easy but I have searched for the setting and not found it. Is there a way to have the Mustang Mach E lock automatically but not honk the horn?
Yes. I believe it is under walk away lock.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Yes, and I agree it's the most annoying setting to have on.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Actually disagree here. I like the audible confirmation that the vehicle is locked and lets anyone around know it is also.
I do like that Ford is giving you the option to leave on or turn off as to your liking or not.

Last edited:

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Actually disagree here. I like the audio confirmation that the vehicle is locked and lets anyone around know it is also.
I do like that Ford is giving you the option to leave on or turn off as to your liking or not.
The "anyone around" is the issue here. Honking a horn when locking the vehicle may be to your liking or not, but what about everyone else? It's really annoying to walk by a car in a parking lot and suddenly have it honk at you. The horn is supposed to be a device used to get attention and alert people of danger. It's really aggravating to hear one when driving through a parking lot and find yourself instinctively reaching for the brakes for no reason, and it also desensitizes people to its actual intended use.

It's also annoying at home. I thankfully live in a rural area now where it's not an issue, but I was frequently woken by "lock honks" back when I lived in a suburban apartment. It's a selfish feature that doesn't need to exist. Manufacturers could easily engineer a feedback mechanism such as a beep or haptic vibration into a fob or phone app to provide feedback without bothering everyone else in the area.

Bit of a rant, but that is one feature that gets under my skin... Now don't get me started on the GM cars that frequently make me slam on my brakes in parking lots when I see their reverse lights come on with no brake lights, thinking they're about to back into me!

edit: Back on the actual topic, note that if you hear the horn honk twice when leaving the vehicle, and have disabled the audible feedback, it probably means you've left the car on.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
The "anyone around" is the issue here. Honking a horn when locking the vehicle may be to your liking or not, but what about everyone else? It's really annoying to walk by a car in a parking lot and suddenly have it honk at you. The horn is supposed to be a device used to get attention and alert people of danger. It's really aggravating to hear one when driving through a parking lot and find yourself instinctively reaching for the brakes for no reason, and it also desensitizes people to its actual intended use.

It's also annoying at home. I thankfully live in a rural area now where it's not an issue, but I was frequently woken by "lock honks" back when I lived in a suburban apartment. It's a selfish feature that doesn't need to exist. Manufacturers could easily engineer a feedback mechanism such as a beep or haptic vibration into a fob or phone app to provide feedback without bothering everyone else in the area.

Bit of a rant, but that is one feature that gets under my skin... Now don't get me started on the GM cars that frequently make me slam on my brakes in parking lots when I see their reverse lights come on with no brake lights, thinking they're about to back into me!

edit: Back on the actual topic, note that if you hear the horn honk twice when leaving the vehicle, and have disabled the audible feedback, it probably means you've left the car on.
My last car (a Honda) would do a small chirp if I double pressed the lock button. So if I was worried about the lock then I could press the button twice and it wasn't too loud or annoying like a horn.

I think you have a great idea for an option to put some feedback on the phone that lets you know if for some reason you left it unlocked. They have those types of notifications for front door locks and garage doors so it should be simple to setup.

OldBlueMME

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Ext, 2023 Yamaha MTO9
Country flag
My last car (a Honda) would do a small chirp if I double pressed the lock button. So if I was worried about the lock then I could press the button twice and it wasn't too loud or annoying like a horn.

I think you have a great idea for an option to put some feedback on the phone that lets you know if for some reason you left it unlocked. They have those types of notifications for front door locks and garage doors so it should be simple to setup.
I also have a 2020 CX-5 that has walk away lock and folding mirrors. It has just a little beep when you walk away and it locks. I will say it locks much quicker than the Mach E. I turned the horn off but there were times that I couldn't see the car depending on where I was and I didn't know for sure if it locked, which meant digging in my pocket for the fob to make sure. I do wish it had a beep instead of the horn blowing. I can't tell you how many times that damn horn has scared me when I have been at home and I unlocked the car but was still in the garage doing something and it would lock back. May try just locking it on the outside door panel and see how that works, really don't like the horn blowing.

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand your feelings there, but...
The other evening we went out to eat with another couple (it's so great to be getting back together again, post vaccination) and we both were showing off our new cars. I went first, and after a bit of oohing and aching, we walked over to our friends' new car. While walking over, I heard my MME beep the horn, indicating the walk-away lock.

We were so caught up in the moment, we walked away without locking up first. It happens. I can certainly see a parent being attentive to active kids and also forgetting to lock up due to the higher attention priority.

Surely, the walk-away lock is an excellent feature to have. For me, I guess I like the beep as a reminder that I should have been more attentive in the first place. For others who may simply to want it to work for them every time they walk away, I guess I understand that the beep can be annoying.

Talking this out, I've come to understand the aggravation better. It depends on your use case, I guess. I like to hear the beep on the occasion that I forget, but others who use the feature as a normal thing could easily be aggravated.

Sorry for the ramble!

smp

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hopefully one of the OTA updates will allow this to be disabled by location as well on just on / off. When I took delivery of my Model 3, the behavior of walk away lock was just like this is, horn sounded and you could only enable / disable it. Finally in one of the updates Tesla added option to disable at home or work locations (only 2 places that can be saved for now). While it has never bothered me, many on the Tesla boards were very happy as they did not care for the car to lock while parked in garage at home.
Sponsored