Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Back when I had my Focus Electric, I needed to use an EVgo station and a Tesla was parked in the space so I flagged down the security patrol guy in his golf cart and convinced him to call a tow truck. The Tesla was on the hook when the owner came running out.
What if you had called the police?
Sponsored

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I doubt the police would get involved. It's not a legal thing like parking in a handicapped space. The property owner can order them to leave, but has to give them the ability to actually leave.

It is situations like this where emotions blow up and a minor issue becomes a major one quickly. The LEOs that I know are all focused on de-escalation for a reason like this.

To add some color to some of the other comments - there are assholes and "special" people everywhere.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
My biggest beef with the EA stations (which I otherwise find fairly reliable) is their lack of utility for an after-hours charging session. I was on the road from Cleveland back to SE Michigan last week, and I stopped at an EA station at 9:15 pm for a 30-minute charge. The station worked ok, but I was hungry and needed to use the bathroom. The adjacent grocery store had just closed and the closest fast food chain (Arby's) was drive-through only, which meant I couldn't access their bathroom.

I'd really like to see what is happening in Norway; inclusion of charging stations at gas stations and travel plazas. That way you have a relatively safe and reliable stop where you know you can find a bathroom. I'm honestly no fan of charging at the outside edge of a Walmart or Sam's Club; this is a really unappealing way to charge.

Fortunately, EA is adding charging stations at the Ohio Turnpike travel plazas; that is a great start and fantastic diversion from the Walmart parking lot model.
Totally agree with all of that. I will say though, that one of the few gas stations with EA’S I have used was a total nasty dump. The highway rest areas should be a no-brainer.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
My comment was meant to counter those calling for law enforcement action as a way to address homelessness. Sorry if that's too political for you. :)
Not directed at you, this got derailed way back lol

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
It seems clear to me that people in California, with a huge population of Teslas, experience things that we elsewhere don't experience.

Should be fairly simple to research the ownership of that piece of real estate, and complain to them about the homeless person as well as the accosting. We have a strip mall with Home Depot, Kroger, Belle Tire, and a few others, and it had huge potholes, especially by the entrances. Swallow up car sized. We contacted the Township it was in and asked if they could exert some influence. They did, telling the owner that they'd cite him for the condition, AND they repaved the entrance on their side of the property where there were potholes. Took a lot of nagging them, but it got done. Also pushed because one exit had a left and a right turn lane, but the indicators were worn off the pavement, and people sat in the wrong lane block traffic. Got that repainted also.

As to putting chargers at the rear of the stores, that's a horrible idea. I would call most back of strip mall parking lots "very unsafe". At the majority of EA / Walmart locations we've been to, the EA chargers are well out in the parking lot. One exception was the ever-poor-performing Huber Heights, Ohio location.

Some EA locations in Massachusetts were in bad locations. One was in a mall parking lot at a Sears store that was closed, we were the only vehicle in site. I wouldn't charge there at night. Another was in a mall parking lot in the dark ground floor of a parking structure. Ditto. A third, and poorly performing location was in the back parking lot of a Bank of America. I believe all of these locations are fairly old.
I had a great experience yesterday at the Huber Heights Walmart location. Plug and Charge worked perfectly. Charged from 35 to 80% quickly. I was using station 2. There was also a Bolt charging. No icing or homeless. I was visiting my father in Dayton. I live in Auburn, IN which is north of Fort Wayne and there are no fast chargers in the Fort Wayne to Dayton corridor.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I took my new GTPE to the nearest EA station to my house today to try DCFC on it for the first time, and to see if Plug & Charge would work.

I got far more than I bargained for, as out of the 6 spots, one had an ID.4 charging, one had a broken charger, and 3 were taken up by 2 Teslas shopping at Walmart, and one by a homeless person living in their van parked permanently at an EA stall.

One of the Tesla owners (I think it was a Plaid? who cares) had the entitled attitude enough to come over to my car and go into a Teslarage as I waited for him to put his shopping in and leave. He was a big dude and was looking for a fight. (Hear his delightful banter here: )

I called EA while charging, and they basically told me they couldn't care less about the ICEd charger or the fear I expressed for my personal safety at this location.

I just gotta say that I'm glad I didn't have my family in my car, and that these fundamental ownership experiences need to be improved if Ford and EA want to legitimately compete.

IMG_20211105_164259.jpg

IMG_20211105_165907.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-05 9.27.34 PM.png
Really sorry your area seems to have more than its share of ICE-holes.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is why these stations belong at highway rest stops or next to existing gas stations. Not hidden behind a Walmart.
I’ve charged at many Walmart EAs and never had an ICEing problem. I do think EA Needs to position the chargers well away from the entrance, though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My biggest beef with the EA stations (which I otherwise find fairly reliable) is their lack of utility for an after-hours charging session. I was on the road from Cleveland back to SE Michigan last week, and I stopped at an EA station at 9:15 pm for a 30-minute charge. The station worked ok, but I was hungry and needed to use the bathroom. The adjacent grocery store had just closed and the closest fast food chain (Arby's) was drive-through only, which meant I couldn't access their bathroom.

I'd really like to see what is happening in Norway; inclusion of charging stations at gas stations and travel plazas. That way you have a relatively safe and reliable stop where you know you can find a bathroom. I'm honestly no fan of charging at the outside edge of a Walmart or Sam's Club; this is a really unappealing way to charge.

Fortunately, EA is adding charging stations at the Ohio Turnpike travel plazas; that is a great start and fantastic diversion from the Walmart parking lot model.
I’ve seen a number of Sheetz gas stations getting EA chargers lately. They have decent food, rest rooms, and are open 24x7.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Given the paucity of charging locations even in california, that seems like a very poor solution indeed. While it was an ordeal to get a charge there, you were able to get a charge. Had you been on a road trip would you prefer running out of juice or dealing with assholes?
Difference is assholes can end up killing you and we see enough "rage" every single frigging day. Running out of juice isn't going to get you killed.

Honestly, this could have ended VERY differently if the OP was as much of a hot head as the Tesla owner. Easily a physical fight, then easily guns get used because again, get two people having a bad day or pissed off day and people getting shot.

Probably recent pandemic making a lot more shootings for whatever reason.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Difference is assholes can end up killing you and we see enough "rage" every single frigging day. Running out of juice isn't going to get you killed.

Honestly, this could have ended VERY differently if the OP was as much of a hot head as the Tesla owner. Easily a physical fight, then easily guns get used because again, get two people having a bad day or pissed off day and people getting shot.

Probably recent pandemic making a lot more shootings for whatever reason.
No one said you had to escalate it. If you are in that situation and need the charge to get to the next station then wait for the dirtbags to come out of the store, get in their car, and leave. When they do you take the spot and start charging. Confronting and escalating is optional

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not sure. I bet they wouldn't care being private property. Mall security was patrolling anyway so I just flagged him down and pointed out the issue and suggested he have it towed. After analyzing the situation (with unsolicited input from me)....he decided to call the tow truck.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I doubt the police would get involved. It's not a legal thing like parking in a handicapped space. The property owner can order them to leave, but has to give them the ability to actually leave.

It is situations like this where emotions blow up and a minor issue becomes a major one quickly. The LEOs that I know are all focused on de-escalation for a reason like this.

To add some color to some of the other comments - there are assholes and "special" people everywhere.
Here in AZ there is a legal statute involving parking in EV spaces. Last time I looked it said EV plates are required but that has probably been revised since new PHEVs don't qualify for Alternative Fuel plates yet they have every right to park and charge same as a BEV would. Or they SHOULD have the same rights....
Sponsored