Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Setting Temp to 67, turn on seat and steering wheel heaters, turn eheat off—-all help. 1 pedal allowing Regen breakung helps. After that, even in warm temp SoCal, i hardly ever hit 3.1 mi/kwh, more like 2.7 to 2.8, since i cant refrain from 80 mph highway and fast acceleration.
Once you turn off E-Heat, you can set the cabin temp to anything you want because you’re not going to get heat anyway.
Sponsored

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
MME Select: My Dec-Jan morning commute of ~45 miles is typically at 28-39 degrees F and with wind/driving rain some mornings. I always precondition cabin and use e-heat at 65-70 F. As the rural winding roads mean slower speeds, I’m usually averaging 45-50 mph over the hour trip time. End result is my winter average from December 1st dead-on 3.0 M/KWh. Of note.. my summer average is 3.7 M/KWh though I can probably push that to 3.9 M/KWh by getting route use over 95%. Headwinds & speed can really mess with energy use.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yeah, it's the heater that kills most of the range, well and excessive gunning. I'm doing pretty good with just the seat on low and steering wheel heater 20-30's still close around 225-250 on my GT at average of 68 mph with a bit of passing speeds here and there. 50's and above closer to 270. I'm hoping even better again next Spring/Summer.

5bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Automotive
Country flag
I knew I would take a hit in cold weather, but this was on the higher side of what I thought I would lose on my GT. Fortunately I do 99% of driving in Metro area and exclusively plug in at home. So the car is everything I need. I still love the car and have no complaints and no issues quality wise. I do wonder if I should have leased instead of buying as tech will improve in the next 2-5 years. Regardless , still love my MME. Pic was taken at outside temp of 25F.

Edit - Yes I know this is the GOM ,but it is what most people use as reference point for there range. It should be "kind of " close.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Horrible mileage GT IMG-4144

SilverBullet

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
CFO
Country flag
Not sure what to say spent $63,000 on a car that is not even close in range. Don’t understand how Ford can advertise 270 I can’t even get 170. I know it’s cold out. Car sits in a heated garage at night what else can a guy do?
I
Having similar results in southern illinois with a cold weather range of 170 miles. Even before it got cold, range was around 215-220 miles. I know I bought a GT, but honestly didn’t expect the range to be falling this far short of the 250-270 advertised. I really like the car in all other aspects, but feel misled by the range estimates provided by both Ford and the EPA. Hoping it doesn’t affect resale value in 2-3 years when I trade in for a car with newer technology (maybe a Lincoln) and hopefully better range.

dgilles428

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e GTpe, 20 Lincoln Corsair,19 Ford T350HD
Occupation
retired IT manager
Country flag
Not sure what to say spent $63,000 on a car that is not even close in range. Don’t understand how Ford can advertise 270 I can’t even get 170. I know it’s cold out. Car sits in a heated garage at night what else can a guy do?
I
That is about the same range I get in Illinois ... glad I have a couple ICE vehicles to drive any distance of more than 50 miles from home.

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag
Range will likely be much better on a road trip when you stringing DC charging stops together. Repeated fast charging warms everything up and makes the car more efficient. Around town cold EV range is universally horrible.

When winter road tripping my EV from up here in MN try to start the day with a good charge and drive a while before DC fast charging, and it will change much faster and more consistent range between subsequent stops.

Also cold air is much denser so speed & wind matter even more - if tight to the next charger, pull a safe distance behind a semi and range will improve a lot!
What were your charge times when you made stops? We road tripped and had to make 2 stops each way in the summer, and each one was about 30-40 minutes. I just worry if we do it in the winter that will turn into 3 stops and over an hour each.

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag
Having similar results in southern illinois with a cold weather range of 170 miles. Even before it got cold, range was around 215-220 miles. I know I bought a GT, but honestly didn’t expect the range to be falling this far short of the 250-270 advertised. I really like the car in all other aspects, but feel misled by the range estimates provided by both Ford and the EPA. Hoping it doesn’t affect resale value in 2-3 years when I trade in for a car with newer technology (maybe a Lincoln) and hopefully better range.
How long have you had the car? I don't have a GT but my Premium AWD is a 270 range as well and after about a month of driving it (local driving, occasional highway, with a couple longer drives) I was up to 320 range. The second cold weather hit, I shot to 170 range at 90%. I think Ford's calculations weights cold much more than it needs to just to be cautious. 170 range is likely closer to 200.

If you were expecting much more than 200 range in bitter cold conditions, then you didn't do enough research on electric cars.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I wondered the same thing. If I put a heater in my garage, would the GOM increase?
I now think not, because the system knows of the car's location, and the GOM is likely based (as it should be) on the average temperature for your area, because once you're out of your garage your vehicle is exposed to the actual temperature and so is the battery.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Horrible mileage GT GRAN SENOR

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag
That is about the same range I get in Illinois ... glad I have a couple ICE vehicles to drive any distance of more than 50 miles from home.

I'm in Illinois as well and I just drove my premium AWD about 25 miles at a temp of around 15 degrees. I got to work with 80% battery and 134 estimated miles left.

Two things:

1. Are you preconditioning your car before you leave? If you aren't, you need to start doing that. Heating up your car on the charger will help you a lot.

2. You can't blast the heat. I generally set my seat warmer to 3 which honestly is too hot at times, even on a day like today. I set my heat to 72 and put it on the lowest auto setting. If you are blasting heat on 3 you are killing your efficiency.

You should still be getting around 2.3 miles per KWH even in cold conditions. This morning I got 2.7 and I wasn't driving like a grandma. I will still floor it when I feel like it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I'm in Illinois as well and I just drove my premium AWD about 25 miles at a temp of around 15 degrees. I got to work with 80% battery and 134 estimated miles left.

Two things:

1. Are you preconditioning your car before you leave? If you aren't, you need to start doing that. Heating up your car on the charger will help you a lot.

2. You can't blast the heat. I generally set my seat warmer to 3 which honestly is too hot at times, even on a day like today. I set my heat to 72 and put it on the lowest auto setting. If you are blasting heat on 3 you are killing your efficiency.

You should still be getting around 2.3 miles per KWH even in cold conditions. This morning I got 2.7 and I wasn't driving like a grandma. I will still floor it when I feel like it.
This is exactly my experience with my GT as well. The GOM is not accurate, and even the mi/kWh trip efficiency is not that accurate. I compared it to actual battery used with my OBDII reader and there are significant differences.

The bottom line: if you drive like a normal person and keep the climate use at a minimum, your efficiency will be pretty good. You will get much better range than the predicted 170 miles on the GOM.

I put my climate temp on 67 degrees and the fan on the lowest setting and the car is very comfortable. The climate use is pretty small at that setting.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
To hopefully make some Mach E owners feel a bit better: For reference, my 2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD+ which claimed 300 miles range got more typically 265** or so on long highway drives at ~70 mph in 70-80 degree weather, and it's range estimator more commonly left me more nervous when pushing limits to next charge as it was overly optimistic early on and got more accurate as I approached 0. My 2021 Mach E RWD (Premium, standard battery, EPA 230 miles of range) got typically around 260 miles at moderate temperature 70 mph drives, and the conservative Ford GOM left me less nervous when pushing limits to next charge (apart from worries about charging stations being available and working). Ford estimator is more conservative (like the EPA ratings) which looks bad at first but better when you are getting closer to discharged.

I miss the better highway DCFC charging infrastructure of Tesla, being able to finish the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds on a mere AWD+ car, and the smoothness of the interface on the Model 3, but my Mach E has much better build quality, better tactile controls for so many things, less of that annoying TSLA highway phantom braking, and full doors that close far more solidly. Oh, and I was even able to do super smooth/slow donuts in the snow after disabling traction control last weekend! :)

** - I couldn't stand the 1970s corolla hubcaps on Model 3 so removed them, possibly resulting in 3-7% lower highway range

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
This is my experience as well. My MME is my first EV, and the only time I plan before driving is if I am driving more than an hour away. Because chargers are not on every corner, it does require more planning than ICE, but even ICE requires you to make sure have enough gas to get where you want to go. And I love how I can refuel at home.

I took my wife's ICE car out and it was almost out of gas, which forced me to take an unplanned stop at a gas station. That never happens with my MME. I never leave the house without enough charge. So awesome.
I should have been clearer, as I agree with you both - the only time I would need to "plan" would be for a trip, not locally, since I can plug in every night and I will rarely exceed the range of the Mach-e, even in winter, over the course of a day.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I
If the dash displayed 600 miles at 50% would you feel happier? More importantly would you actually believe it?

Didn't think so. Now do yourself a favor and actually USE 50% of the pack with actual real world driving.

I think you'll find that what's displayed on the dash, and what you can actually get I the real world are two very very different things.

Lastly READ, and RESEARCH before contributing to the hundreds of posts just like this one that end up being complaints NOT about what you actually achieve, but rather how a number displayed on a screen makes you feel.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
I
Not worry about it. You plug in each night? Just enjoy the no gas, the sweet power, the sexy design & if you need a long road trip, charge up to 100%, reset your history and hit the road! It’s a whole different world in EVs and lots of us are new to this game. Ford is too of course.