Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Guys, my (Iphone 10) can only last on the wireless charger for about 40-45 min before the phone gets so hot that the phone shuts down and hence so does Apple Car Play. I was just watching a review of the Rivian R1T and he had the same issue; although he says it craps out after 30 min.

Am I alone in this? Is it just the Apple Phones or certain Apple models; are the Androids doing the same?

It does not affect me much as I generally have a charged phone everyday; but the biggest issue is when taking a trip and using Apple Car Play (Waze or Apple Maps). I do love the wireless option but will begrudgingly have to use a wired option on trips.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Guys, my (Iphone 10) can only last on the wireless charger for about 40-45 min before the phone gets so hot that the phone shuts down and hence so does Apple Car Play. I was just watching a review of the Rivian R1T and he had the same issue; although he says it craps out after 30 min.

Am I alone in this? Is it just the Apple Phones or certain Apple models; are the Androids doing the same?

It does not affect me much as I generally have a charged phone everyday; but the biggest issue is when taking a trip and using Apple Car Play (Waze or Apple Maps). I do love the wireless option but will begrudgingly have to use a wired option on trips.
There's a TSB for this: TSB 22-2265 - Wireless Accessory Charger Inoperative/Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones

Basically your dealer can update the WACM module. The phone will not get as hot after the update. It still gets warm but not enough to shut down post update.

Not having the main display on CarPlay also helps (streaming video takes way more power than operating in the background).

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My iPhone 12 mini does this also. I plug into the usb instead. The wireless charger doesn’t add much charge at all. It’s really useless.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Inductive charging is grossly inefficient and creates a ton of waste heat. Bluetooth connections create heat. Using GPS creates a lot of heat. Streaming music creates heat. So wireless carplay with navigation or streaming will overheat your phone. You don’t notice how terrible inductive charging is anywhere else because you’re not using GPS at the same time. Solution is to plug the phone in and charge without the resistance of induction, or use a magsafe charger if your phone is capable of such. The wireless charging pad sounds cool, but it’s slow and inefficient at best.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Inductive charging is grossly inefficient and creates a ton of waste heat. Bluetooth connections create heat. Using GPS creates a lot of heat. Streaming music creates heat. So wireless carplay with navigation or streaming will overheat your phone. You don’t notice how terrible inductive charging is anywhere else because you’re not using GPS at the same time. Solution is to plug the phone in and charge without the resistance of induction, or use a magsafe charger if your phone is capable of such. The wireless charging pad sounds cool, but it’s slow and inefficient at best.
Yup.

Had phones with wireless charging at one point. What a waste of electricity that is, as compared to plugging in. But, it did prolong the life of the charging port, before USB-C at least.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
Inductive charging is grossly inefficient and creates a ton of waste heat. Bluetooth connections create heat. Using GPS creates a lot of heat. Streaming music creates heat. So wireless carplay with navigation or streaming will overheat your phone. You don’t notice how terrible inductive charging is anywhere else because you’re not using GPS at the same time.
While you're mostly right, you're also wrong because I've driven other cars that don't have this problem...

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I just put this in instead, problem solved, no TSB or dealer visit required. CarPlay works great for 9 hours with my iPhone on this Anker MagSafe charger.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HOT (OVERHEAT) PHONE using wireless charging in Mach-E 4A1BCE81-B7B8-43D2-91B2-6190506BC2FD

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I don't use the wireless charger if that phone is what is connected to CarPlay.

The rubber mat in the MME plus the thickness of whatever case you're using is a pretty big gap/thickness of material, which is super inefficient and causes a ton of heat.

One of our phones has a thick case and we have to take it out of the case to use the wireless charger or else it gets super hot.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
I just dropped mine off for the TSB. My issue was that the phone would only charge for a minute or two and then stop. I don't use carplay daily so I don't experience any heat.
iPhone 12 Pro with mag safe case.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I just dropped mine off for the TSB. My issue was that the phone would only charge for a minute or two and then stop. I don't use carplay daily so I don't experience any heat.
iPhone 12 Pro with mag safe case.
The TSB should fix the issue of it stopping charging. But it will still get hot.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
While you're mostly right, you're also wrong because I've driven other cars that don't have this problem...
Maybe didn’t have wireless CarPlay? So you weren’t using the GPS and streaming? or had a lower power inductive charger?

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
The TSB should fix the issue of it stopping charging. But it will still get hot.
Sadly my car build was one week after the TSB so they didn't update. They gave me a two page print out of DTC codes and want it back in a few weeks.... 😨

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sadly my car build was one week after the TSB so they didn't update. They gave me a two page print out of DTC codes and want it back in a few weeks.... 😨
What's your build date? They've extended the TSB date a couple of times.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
What's your build date? They've extended the TSB date a couple of times.
26 Apr '22 build date.
The latest TSB I could find says on or before 4/17/2022. Sounds like they keep releasing TSB for this so maybe the next one will include my build.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I was intrigued by this question nd some responses so I did a little experiment with wireless charging my iPhone SE 22 with 69% charge, medium thick case and 82 miles of driving on today's errands. I finished at 82% charge with no overheating, not even warm.
Sponsored