Julianne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Stylist
Country flag
I purchased my Mustang Mach-E GT December 21, 2022 when my HOV sticker came it was for the next generation of stickers which is green. My car is metallic cyber orange. The yellow sticker would’ve been so much better. Can I exchange it for the yellow sticker?
That’s the one I should’ve had for when my car was purchased anyway. Really I don’t want to even put this on my car as we know it doesn’t look all that lovely does it?
But it would be nice to drive in the carpool lane when it’s moving faster LOL
Sponsored

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I purchased my Mustang Mach-E GT December 21, 2022 when my HOV sticker came it was for the next generation of stickers which is green. My car is metallic cyber orange. The yellow sticker would’ve been so much better. Can I exchange it for the yellow sticker?
That’s the one I should’ve had for when my car was purchased anyway. Really I don’t want to even put this on my car as we know it doesn’t look all that lovely does it?
From what my Cali friends have told me, you're SOL unless you trade with someone under the table 😆 you will also lose a year of HOV use if you do that.

It's used for quick reference to see if your use of the HOV is valid. I believe Cali only allows new EVs up to 5 years.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
From what my Cali friends have told me, you're SOL unless you trade with someone under the table 😆 you will also lose a year of HOV use if you do that.

It's used for quick reference to see if your use of the HOV is valid. I believe Cali only allows new EVs up to 5 years.
It is for a maximum of 4 calendar years. The year in which you get the car/sticker, and then a full 3 years after that.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
The sticker color is based on when the sticker was issued, not when you picked up the car. You are basically out of luck. My advice, put the rear stickers on the black plastic part behind the wheel. In the front you'll have to put it on top of the existing cyber orange paint.

This is how I did mine:

I also used PPF to make it easier to put the stickers on and be able to reposition them, and eventually remove them when they expire.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I've heard that all Carpool stickers expire in 2025 anyways.

You can always get precut magnets and put the stickers on those. Then you can remove the magnets when you're not planning to use the carpool lane.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
people used to steal those stickers, maybe not anymore though? making them removable would really facilitate that.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'd be careful with using PPF for the stickers. I bought PPF from Amazon and twice I lost one of the stickers in touch-free car washes. Had to replace the stickers (which can be done). I ended up removing the PPF and reinstalling the stickers directly on the car. Hated doing that, but I didn't want to risk continuing to lose them and I also realized that they were actually quite easy to steal.

As for location, I put them in the same spots as David (@devmach-e).

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I'd be careful with using PPF for the stickers. I bought PPF from Amazon and twice I lost one of the stickers in touch-free car washes. Had to replace the stickers (which can be done). I ended up removing the PPF and reinstalling the stickers directly on the car. Hated doing that, but I didn't want to risk continuing to lose them and I also realized that they were actually quite easy to steal.

As for location, I put them in the same spots as David (@devmach-e).
With PPF, its all about surface prep. Have to make sure it's completely clean and free of any wax. I had mine on for 1 year now without any problems.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
With PPF, its all about surface prep. Have to make sure it's completely clean and free of any wax. I had mine on for 1 year now without any problems.
I think I wasn't clear in my comment. The PPF stayed on the car. I had completely cleaner the area of the car with alcohol per the PPF instructions before installing it.

The problem was that the HOV decal came cleanly off the PPF!

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Apparently all HOV stickers expire at the end of the Federal fiscal year (September) in 2025.

The placement locations are specified in the packet you get when you get the stickers.

I've seen some weird placements. Oddly, once, on the same drive, I saw the same incorrect placement on two different cars. I'm guessing the cops don't care that much as long as they can see them.

I bought PPF stickers from Amazon in eager anticipation of my HOV sticker's arrival. I'm disappointed that the combination may fail.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
i've had HOV stickers since my 2006 prius. i hated putting them on the car. almost immediately after affixing them someone rear ended me on the freeway and i had to go thru the whole process of getting new stickers. it is a pain in the butt. they make you remove all the remaining stickers and send them in before they will issue new ones. since then i've put the back bumper sticker on the tailgate/trunk of the car to avoid a fender bender requiring new stickers.

but i think that placement stopped sometime in 2015 or so. as you can see now they want two stickers on the front bumper and two on the rear sides. still doesn't help if you rear-end someone else.

anyway getting one or more stolen is the same thing - you're supposed to send in the remainders and so it adds another month or so to the whole process. so i've just swallowed hard and actually affixed the stickers to the car. i actually put PPF film over the stickers in an attempt to prevent theft.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I think I wasn't clear in my comment. The PPF stayed on the car. I had completely cleaner the area of the car with alcohol per the PPF instructions before installing it.

The problem was that the HOV decal came cleanly off the PPF!
I've had the stickers on the car for over 9 months now. No signs of coming off of the PPF, or the PPF coming off of the car. Then again, I haven't tried putting the car through a car wash (touchless or otherwise).

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
So many cars around AZ have those HOV stickers people her must think they need them. We have Blue License Plates for the HOV stuff. But we stupidly also have one that's very very similar thats just a blue plate with a different cloud. Doesn't really matter as we don't have police doing anything with idiots in the HOV lane anyway.

That said my silver FFE has permanent ghost marks from those stickers.
Sponsored