How are you hunting for cars that are dealer stock/refused by initial order?

tmblue

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Audi Q5, 1986 IROCZ, Mach-E
Country flag
My local dealer may play some games and I'm ready to walk away from the car. But I'm seeing others finding dealer stock or other, is it luck, do they simply reach out on the weekly to dealers, is there a better site than others to check current inventories etc?

Just curious, if I decide not to order again and pick up something on the ground.

Not a done deal, still hoping the dealer comes around when I car is delivered but will see.
Sponsored

Keyk4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Country flag
My local dealer may play some games and I'm ready to walk away from the car. But I'm seeing others finding dealer stock or other, is it luck, do they simply reach out on the weekly to dealers, is there a better site than others to check current inventories etc?

Just curious, if I decide not to order again and pick up something on the ground.

Not a done deal, still hoping the dealer comes around when I car is delivered but will see.
Ford Mustang Mach-E - Search Inventory - Change zipcode and radius

New Ford Mustang Mach-E for Sale in Windsor, CO - CarGurus - Change zipcode and radius

I'm sure there are other sites...

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I am sure there some MMEs available from dealers if one is willing to search hard and willing to move fast. My dealer had received about 12 so far in about last two weeks snd I was told they had two or three refused abd sold quickly with quite a bit of ADM.

I have heard autotrader or eBay as two often mentioned sites but best is to contact dealers and inform them if your intentions snd ask they contact you when one shows up.

bcraven01

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range Battery - AWD
Occupation
Cyber Security
Country flag
I was able to find a couple for saie by taking the sheet "MachEWithoutNames" that can be found in another thread. Filtered that by all the dealer names in my area. Then pulled VIN's and searched to determine if they were shipped. Contacted the dealer to determine if they would be for sale.
Long process but was able to find a few MME's and had more info than the dealer in every case. ;)
Of course most on this forum know more than the dealers. In the end I decided to keep my original order.
Good Luck!

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Got mine on Autotrader. Refreshed every 30 minutes, posted at 5pm Monday, first draft of sales order by 9pm, final draft signed at 9am Tuesday, delivered by 5pm Wednesday. Xplan pricing. Can be done. I got lucky with the dealer.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
I also found mine on auto trader, got lucky and sniped a canceled order off a lot. One thing to note, there seems to be a lot of demo cars being listed. One even offered to let me put a deposit down on one until it reached a certain amount of miles.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I also found mine on auto trader, got lucky and sniped a canceled order off a lot. One thing to note, there seems to be a lot of demo cars being listed. One even offered to let me put a deposit down on one until it reached a certain amount of miles.
One unofficial way to check - I've noticed all the local dealer demos are "low" VINs, all in the 1000-4000 sequence number range, which makes sense as they were all built sort of at once, and there's about 2-3,000 EV-certified dealers. So if the VIN sequence # is under 4,000ish, there's a high chance that's going to be a demo car. Above 4,000 and the probability drops.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
I have been quasi hunting for a Premium/FE using the Ford inventory search and calling a few dealers. I don't think I will have any luck for another few months, but by then I will be much closer to the GT I reserved so will stick with it.

This past week I was in contact with a dealer in the Seattle area that was trying to sell me an FE. He wouldn't budge off the $5k ADM. They received it yesterday and sold it with a $7k ADM in 45 min. Bidding war?

Mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had my order in with one dealer and I also had called one other dealer that was showing a dealer car and told him to call me if one came in for retail. He called last Saturday said they had a RT1 went Monday drove it all over town and went home with it that afternoon. Called my original dealer and canceled my order thru them.

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I made hunting for a Mach E sort of a full time job for about 3 weeks. Once the cars started arriving at the dealerships in mid January I tried a combination of multiple tactics.

LISTS
I started out first by making a list of every Ford dealership within 250 miles. Was shocked to find that there are so many of them. These lists would ultimately get updated with the name of the salesman, manager, and the Mach E trim/color that may be available at that dealership.

AUTOTRADER etc
This is the quick and easy way to see cars that are physically at the dealership. I also used Cars.com and Ford's inventory tracker, but AutoTrader almost always had more cars listed.

After finding the car I wanted I'd use the VIN Tracker on our site (https://www.macheforum.com/site/pages/tracker/) to see if the vehicle was a retail order or a stock order. Stock orders end in (S) and Retail in (R). Stock orders are most likely dealer cars that won't be sold.

DEALERSHIPS
After grabbing a few VIN numbers that are retail numbers, I 'd call the dealership and ask about that car specifically. I'd always communicate that I knew that the car was order only but that I was hopeful for a customer cancellation. From that point forward, the sales guy would typically work pretty fast to find out if the car was reserved or available.

No matter what the result of the conversation, I always told the salesman that I wanted him to call/text me first if another Mach E became available. It worked really well this way. I began receiving texts almost daily from at least 7 dealerships. I was able to cherry-pick which trim/color I wanted.

The final part of the game was to physically be available to make it in to the dealership before anyone else when a car became available. I missed 4-5 Mach E's just from arriving too late and someone else purchasing before me.

DEPOSITS
Hilltop Ford in Richmond allowed me to actually take over a customer cancelled reservation by placing a $1000 deposit. It was a Grabber Blue FE that they planned to charge $2000 ADM. The deposit was fully refundable, and they knew and were happy with the idea that I might find one at another dealership sooner. It was a win-win. They got a high-potential buyer and I got first right of refusal. I ultimately wanted a red or gray FE and so I cancelled the deposit as soon as I found my red FE. They refunded the deposit no problems.

There may be other dealerships that have the same process if they are already aware of customer refused cars.

Like I mentioned earlier, this took a lot of time between work and play but I loved it. The "hunt" was on for a cool toy. I actually came across many reputable salesmen and women in the process and can give you the names of the guys that were very honest, communicative, and up-front.
Sponsored