Chuck518

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
I took my MME on our first road trip from my home in the Adirondacks (Ray Brook, NY, elevation ~1.900 ft) to NYC, with a refueling stop in Albany (elevation ~400 ft). I had planned the trip with the Ford App. I was delighted to see that on my dashboard there was an indication of how many miles left to my refueling station, and how many miles I had left on my battery> I thought of the differences as my "available margin." During that entire drive, the margin stayed remarkably constant. Then, on our return trip, I refueled at the same place, and kept calculating the margin. It also stayed totally constant. That's with about a 1,500 foot elevation difference. So, since it stayed as constant on the descent as it did on the ascent, I infer that Ford built altitude differences into their calculations of how many miles are left in the battery on a planned route. Does anybody know if this is true?

Next question -- how reliable will this be on future trips, when the weather is substantially different? On our trip, it was in the 60sF, and no precipitation. Should I expect that the GOM will give me less reliable information in winter temperatures and/or snow?

By the way, I used to make frequent trips to and from Ray Brook and NYS in my ICE car. It took me two extra gallons to ascend into the Adirondacks than it did to descend into the NYC metro area.
Sponsored

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
The navigation does take elevation difference into account (as well as road speed). As temperatures change and your habits are taken into account, those will also adjust its guesses over time.