how do you recover a totally empty high voltage battery?

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
Did you run your battery already empty? I mean, like, till the car stopped.
What did it take to get it running again?
Would you just plug it back in? Or does the 12V need a charge as well? Was level 2 enough?

I read about a few people who needed a tow. So, I am pretty sure someone has an answer.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think it would just be like a dead cell phone, you would have to charge it back up, and you risk significant degradation in terms of the battery’s max capacity and ability to hold a charge if you leave it depleted like that for a substantial period of time.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Did you run your battery already empty? I mean, like, till the car stopped.
What did it take to get it running again?
Would you just plug it back in? Or does the 12V need a charge as well? Was level 2 enough?

I read about a few people who needed a tow. So, I am pretty sure someone has an answer.
The entire HVB capacity is not available for owner use so when the battery shows 0% on the display, it actually has a small charge remaining.
Plug it in to charge back up in a normal fashion is all that is required.

The 12v battery should remain at normal charge even with HVB at 0% (as shown on the display)

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the HVB battery runs to 0% and the car stops, plug it in and get it charged from an AC (110 or 240 VAC) charger until you have enough to get it off the road to charge it back to 80-90% charge. Just like running an ICE vehicle out of fuel.

This is the reason I always carry my Ford Mobile charger in the MME. It will always be there if I need it. i only have to find a viable outlet.

Deleted member 9461

a few years back had to help kill a leaf battery to get the warrantee replacement. if you discharge the 12v battery, the car won't charge, cause any power going into an EV (except early roadsters) had to get a 12v signal before shifting the onboard charger. My Transit connect got turtle, and killed dead, to the point where had to push, still had 12v equipment. As long as you don't discharge the 12v you can plug in, tow-charger, hand crank charge. all EV's i've owned, we experimented with light power/acceleration to see how far in turtle you can get before you brick the car. the Leaf stated 1/2 mile, we nursed 2 out of it, the transit, nursed 2 out of it, the bolt we managed to get 5 (some got 20 but that's reduced power) haven't turtled the Ford yet (i call it the Banshee)
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: