How do you turn off the express lane?

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I've started having a new issue with the built in nav after power up 2.3.0.
It has started explicitly telling me when to enter and exit the express/carpool lane on the interstate. On the surface this doesn't sound like an issue, but it's a pain (and somewhat dangerous) because by the time it tells you to exit the express lane, you only have .5 miles to cross 6 lanes of traffic to the exit.

I figured I could adjust the avoidances to stop this but no luck. Turning off the carpool lane does nothing, and turning off fees/tolls just results in the system telling you to exit the interstate entirely.

I can't tell if this is user error, a bug, or just bad design. Has anyone else noticed this or know how to fix it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I've started having a new issue with the built in nav after power up 2.3.0.
It has started explicitly telling me when to enter and exit the express/carpool lane on the interstate. On the surface this doesn't sound like an issue, but it's a pain (and somewhat dangerous) because by the time it tells you to exit the express lane, you only have .5 miles to cross 6 lanes of traffic to the exit.

I figured I could adjust the avoidances to stop this but no luck. Turning off the carpool lane does nothing, and turning off fees/tolls just results in the system telling you to exit the interstate entirely.

I can't tell if this is user error, a bug, or just bad design. Has anyone else noticed this or know how to fix it?
Change to another driver profile and see what happens. I have carpool lane turned on and sometimes it wants me to move over to the right for freeway interchanges but the carpool lane has its own exchange lane to the left. So I just ignore it and the car corrects itself. For me this is fine because I know my area and which freeways have HOV exchange lanes and which don't. If I was driving somewhere unfamiliar such as Southern California then it could get annoying for sure.

Turning off the carpool lane in the settings should disable the HOV lane guidance. Strange that isn't happening with your car. (Whichnis why I am suggesting you try another driver profile)

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Haha, back up in the early 80’s while at UCI I drove weekly to Cal State Fullerton in a ‘62 VW bus. 5 effing freeways with one switcheroo requiring to move from an on-ramp across 4 lanes to a left side off-ramp in less than a mile. Yikes.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Change to another driver profile and see what happens. I have carpool lane turned on and sometimes it wants me to move over to the right for freeway interchanges but the carpool lane has its own exchange lane to the left. So I just ignore it and the car corrects itself. For me this is fine because I know my area and which freeways have HOV exchange lanes and which don't. If I was driving somewhere unfamiliar such as Southern California then it could get annoying for sure.

Turning off the carpool lane in the settings should disable the HOV lane guidance. Strange that isn't happening with your car. (Whichnis why I am suggesting you try another driver profile)

Well that's the dumb thing, HOV/Express lane guidance doesn't even make sense in Utah, it's just a dedicated lane on the same freeway. No dedicated exchanges, no separation either. It's literally just painted lines that indicate specific sections where you're allowed to enter and exit that lane (you can guess how many people respect that).

Because it's literally on the same trajectory as the rest of the highway the gps can't even tell if you're in that lane or not, it just gives you the direction and hopes you do it ?

I'll try going to a different profile and toggling the setting

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Well that's the dumb thing, HOV/Express lane guidance doesn't even make sense in Utah, it's just a dedicated lane on the same freeway. No dedicated exchanges, no separation either. It's literally just painted lines that indicate specific sections where you're allowed to enter and exit that lane (you can guess how many people respect that).

Because it's literally on the same trajectory as the rest of the highway the gps can't even tell if you're in that lane or not, it just gives you the direction and hopes you do it ?

I'll try going to a different profile and toggling the setting
Similar here in Phoenix as well. Most of the freeways here have the far left lane painted for HOV use but no physical barrier or separator of any kind. The majority of the time, the HOV lane is just another lane and available to all vehicles. They are only restricted for a few hours during morning rush and a few more during evening commute home. All other times of the day, weekends and holidays are wide open to all vehicles.

Requirements to use that lane during restricted rush hours are two or more occupants in the vehicle or alternative fuel license plates (which BEVs get here).

Since I have HOV lanes enabled in Sync, it seems to account for shorter drive times using the HOV lane which is what I like about the system. What I don't like is the NAV doesn't seem to know about the dedicated exchange lanes that exist for people in the HOV lanes when switching freeways. I see them on the screen......but the nav doesn't direct me in those lanes unless I am downtown Phoenix. For some reason it does know about the left side exits and HOV splits in the major city area.

Coincidentally, those areas are also the same places where the auto zoom by speed will go down to the 100ft view with specific lane by lane detail. I wonder if that is a clue??

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I tried using a different profile and got the exact same behavior :/

I feel like it's kind of odd that it assumes you will be using the express lane if you're on the interstate..

Torchwood

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-e Premium AWD
Country flag
It's helpful in the sense that in Atlanta you can only enter and exit the Carpool lanes at certain points and so the route guidance gives you a good heads up. However this still makes me a bit crazy. Especially since at junctions the direction you turn in the carpool lane may be different than in the regular lanes. I have not found a way to turn it off though. Hopefully someone smarter than me will figure it out, or someone from Ford will go for a drive in Atlanta, go the wrong way, and fix it

bbachrac

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium Nite Pony 2023
Occupation
NA
Country flag
I haven't yet found if it is possible to turn off express lane navigation notices. They are not helpful.
In the Bay Area, what were free Car Pool lanes for EV with stickers have been converted to toll Express Lanes with surge pricing. An EV counts as 2 passengers and one gets half price which is still expensive. Free requires 3 occupants as set by the Tag Transponder setting. Sensors with displays monitor the settings which the police often monitor and the tickets are expensive. I now seldom use these express lanes.
To show how greedy they have become with these systems, they moved the pricing display beyond an alternate route exit so one couldn't judge how backed up traffic had become based on the pricing.

For ICE, HOV lanes actually cause more pollution because they are not well utilized and they cause more stop and go traffic in the other lanes.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
For ICE, HOV lanes actually cause more pollution because they are not well utilized and they cause more stop and go traffic in the other lanes.
Yes, I've always wondered if anybody in charge of setting up HOV lanes actually take the time to see the two lanes of stop/go traffic burning up more fuel, while the HOV lane has the ocassional car whoosh by.

I've also wondered what percentage of HOV users are actually changing their behavior (carpooling with people that would otherwise take separate cars) vs. people that would have passengers anyways (kids/families traveling together).

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Yes, I've always wondered if anybody in charge of setting up HOV lanes actually take the time to see the two lanes of stop/go traffic burning up more fuel, while the HOV lane has the ocassional car whoosh by.
Don't be ridiculous, why would they ever do that?
I've also wondered what percentage of HOV users are actually changing their behavior (carpooling with people that would otherwise take separate cars) vs. people that would have passengers anyways (kids/families traveling together).
The percentage is very, very low.

Glad I could clear up those questions for you!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yea, my car’s navigation system always tells me to get into the express lane. I ain’t doing it, since I am a frugal dog. The car usually complains a couple of times at me then shuts up if I don’t. Sometimes I have to abort the navigation system because it won’t shut up. 🤷‍♂️🐩

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I‘m unfamiliar with an “express lane”. I’m also unfamiliar with “6 lanes of traffic“.
Bah! I see your 6 raise you 2 and a splitting HOV lane with a left exit to another freeway. Take that BrueCruise! In AZ we don't believe in standards.

AND if you're lucky enough to be in Tucson. lets take the median lane(7th lane) of a 6 lane (3 lanes each way) road (Speedway Blvd) and change the direction of it being another useable lane (in the morning eastbound, in the evening rush hour west bound), except tell that you can no longer turn left (going either direction) at certain hours of the day. Aptly named "suicide lane" as there's always one person every mile or so trying to turn left, almost getting rear ended and causing a stack up of cars and symphony of horns and fingers.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
That's a setting in navigation.

Open navigation, towards the middle of the screen on the left is a wrench/hammer icon (if I remember)

tap that and go to AVOID

Tap avoid HOV/Express lanes.

Noise goes away.
Sponsored