How does Tesla handle customer complaints/questions/service without a dealer network?

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First off, I freely admit to being a Tesla ignoramus, never paid much attention to them because they seem very pricey and focused on California customers. I do admire Musk and his achievements. Add to that the big pile of gripes on this forum about Ford dealers who are no help with BEV customers.

So my question is: How does Tesla handle customer complaints/questions/service without a dealer network?
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
They have a service center network.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They have service centers to handle vehicle issues. In states that allow direct delivery, those locations also serve as delivery centers.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
First off, I freely admit to being a Tesla ignoramus, never paid much attention to them because they seem very pricey and focused on California customers. I do admire Musk and his achievements. Add to that the big pile of gripes on this forum about Ford dealers who are no help with BEV customers.

So my question is: How does Tesla handle customer complaints/questions/service without a dealer network?
They have corporate-owned outposts scattered around, largely along the coastal states. So they have essentially what look like "dealerships" and "service centers," but they're all Tesla corporate owned with Tesla employees therein.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag

They have corporate-owned outposts scattered around, largely along the coastal states. So they have essentially what look like "dealerships" and "service centers," but they're all Tesla corporate owned with Tesla employees therein.
Tesla also has mobile service, especially used for owners that live a distance away from the service centers. When you call or schedule service in the app, Tesla will determine if mobile service can be sent based on the requested service. I actually had my FSD computer upgraded from version 2.5 to version 3.0 done by a mobile technician in my garage. The biggest issue is many times the first available times are 2 to 3 weeks away, especially if has to be done at the service center.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I searched and found there are only four service centers in Ohio, the closest is an hour away, with only four in the whole state.
How do owners get questions answered? Is there some kind of tech support system?

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I searched and found there are only four service centers in Ohio, the closest is an hour away, with only four in the whole state.
How do owners get questions answered? Is there some kind of tech support system?
They have to call the support number. There is one common number, not separate numbers. Hopefully the agent answering can forward to the closest service center. Can also schedule ahead in the app, Tesla will send text message to you after reviewing the request and you can communicate through this means, not always the best way if you have some expedited or not normal service issue. Last would be to visit the service center yourself during normal open hours. (They are not open on weekends). For me it is not a big issue as I have only needed service 3 times over the 3 years and the service center is about 14 miles away. Living a greater distance would definitely make this a very inconvenient issue and would hope that a mobile service technician could handle the issue at my house.
Having a Mach-E serviced would be easier once you find a competent Ford dealer you trust with your service because in most cases they would be closer than a Tesla Service Center.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
They do it either through mobile service people, or they have service centers.

Again as folks stated, these are at a much higher concentration on the coasts, then they are in the middle of the country. Tesla has three service centers in the DC area. Likely going to be a fourth soon. They are very popular cars in DC. But electric cars are popular in DC in general.
Sponsored