How does the Ford Pass charging network work?

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I've only had my Mach-E for a day, so I apologize for the basic question, but how do the FordPass in-network charging stations work? I had read that you get two years of free charging in the Ford Pass network. So anything that comes up in the in-network search will be free?

Does the Ford Pass network include any DC fast chargers?

When I use my Mach-E's computer to search for in-network, it includes some Electrify America stations - but I thought I only got 250kwh on those before I started having to pay.

Can anyone point me to more information on the two years of free in-Ford-Pass-network charging? Did I misunderstand it?
Sponsored

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I've only had my Mach-E for a day, so I apologize for the basic question, but how do the FordPass in-network charging stations work? I had read that you get two years of free charging in the Ford Pass network. So anything that comes up in the in-network search will be free?

Does the Ford Pass network include any DC fast chargers?

When I use my Mach-E's computer to search for in-network, it includes some Electrify America stations - but I thought I only got 250kwh on those before I started having to pay.

Can anyone point me to more information on the two years of free in-Ford-Pass-network charging? Did I misunderstand it?
You just get 250 kWh of free charging. I used up 40 of mine at an EA station today.

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see this two-year complimentary access described in two places:

a Ford website ("You won’t need to pay or sign up for multiple charge networks. Ford gives you two years of complimentary access to the FordPass Charging Network for easy pay-as-you-drive charging")

a Charged EVs article ("Mustang Mach-E customers also get two years of free charging at stations participating in the FordPass Charging Network. This includes over 13,500 charging stations belonging to various networks, including Electrify America.")

The article is from June 2020, so it's admittedly a bit old, but the Ford website is still up.

Is anyone successfully getting complimentary charging in the FordPass network?

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Two things are being mixed up. You get two years complimentary access to the Ford charging network.

You get 250 kWh free at Electrify America stations.

I have charged at an EA station for free.

Once the 250 kWh is used up all charging on the Ford network is pay as you go. The advantage of the Ford network is you don't have to carry RFID cards or their apps on your phone for all of the networks.

I have RFID cards for Chargepoint, EVGo, and Greenlots.

Most of my charging will be in my garage.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Still trying to figure it out for myself but I’m sure someone else will chime in! I am gearing up for a road trip next month and my main concern is the functionality of it. I have used EA several times now and each time ended up with a “ Charge Station Fault! “ Tried Plug and Charge yesterday for the first time and it did NOT work automatically as advertised!!

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, all! I’ve successfully used the free EA charging but it’s really surprising to me that the FordPass network is just a way to use different chargers without setting up separate accounts. That’s a useful feature, but not a huge deal.

And the fact that it’s only two years suggests that, two years from now, it will no longer be complimentary and I’ll have to start paying just to use single-payment?

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
I think in order to use plug n charge after two years free there will be some sort of subscription. After my 250 free KW is up, I just plan on paying EA $4 a month to get the .31 cent rate instead of the .43 cent rate thru their app. Looks pretty easy to use. I don't do long range travel a lot so will only pay the $4 on months I plan to travel. With Ford Pass plug n charge as of now you have to use the full .43 cent rate if you depleted your free charging

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Still trying to figure it out for myself but I’m sure someone else will chime in! I am gearing up for a road trip next month and my main concern is the functionality of it. I have used EA several times now and each time ended up with a “ Charge Station Fault! “ Tried Plug and Charge yesterday for the first time and it did NOT work automatically as advertised!!
I just went on a road trip to the Grand Canyon and used plug & charge at an EA site in Williams Arizona. It worked perfectly. I had previously tested it in Phoenix at a local station after setting it up and waiting a couple of days for the Ford Pass account to get all set up.

Here is what I do:

1) walk away lock is disabled on my car
2) turn car off at the station
3) get out and close all the doors
4) do not lock the doors
5) plug in and watch the screen
6) it should first say initializing, then authorizing payment
7) once it opens the charging screen, hit the button on the charger below Continue
8) you can now lock the car
9) after getting the charge you want, stop it by pushing the button on the car by the charger door
10) message appears on the charger, telling you to unplug, plug will now be unlocked

Can you describe what you did when you get the faults?

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I just went on a road trip to the Grand Canyon and used plug & charge at an EA site in Williams Arizona. It worked perfectly. I had previously tested it in Phoenix at a local station after setting it up and waiting a couple of days for the Ford Pass account to get all set up.

Here is what I do:

1) walk away lock is disabled on my car
2) turn car off at the station
3) get out and close all the doors
4) do not lock the doors
5) plug in and watch the screen
6) it should first say initializing, then authorizing payment
7) once it opens the charging screen, hit the button on the charger below Continue
8) you can now lock the car
9) after getting the charge you want, stop it by pushing the button on the car by the charger door
10) message appears on the charger, telling you to unplug, plug will now be unlocked

Can you describe what you did when you get the faults?
It seems like the fault comes up when I stop the charging from the EA station. On the Fordpass app the Plug and Charge switch keeps reverting back to off and there are NO icons displayed below it?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It seems like the fault comes up when I stop the charging from the EA station. On the Fordpass app the Plug and Charge switch keeps reverting back to off and there are NO icons displayed below it?
Stop the session from the vehicle instead of the pump.

Just tap the disconnect button that's located in the middle of the charge light ring. Wait for it to stop and unlatch and then disconnect the coupler from the vehicle.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Stop the session from the vehicle instead of the pump.

Just tap the disconnect button that's located in the middle of the charge light ring. Wait for it to stop and unlatch and then disconnect the coupler from the vehicle.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time! Also I had to activate the charger via Fordpass before it would start! It took about 30 minutes to get from 30% to 80% and then 40 kw was deducted from my 250 of free charging.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time! Also I had to activate the charger via Fordpass before it would start! It took about 30 minutes to get from 30% to 80% and then 40 kw was deducted from my 250 of free charging.
When I charged this weekend going to the Grand Canyon, I added 44KW in 25 minutes (33% to 80%), using a 350KW charger. Peak rate was ~160KW.

Reactions: UW2

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
When I charged this weekend going to the Grand Canyon, I added 44KW in 25 minutes (33% to 80%), using a 350KW charger. Peak rate was ~160KW.
Someday, I would like to do a road trip and see the Grand Canyon. One of my Wife’s sisters lives in Tuscon.
Sponsored