TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Clipper creek and others make "dumb" EVSE (particularly in the 32A and below category) that are mid priced ($300 - $500) and sufficient for inside a garage (ie not ruggedly weatherproof, but not junk).
Not seeing any Clipper Creeks near $300 for a 32A. The 16A are cheaper, but looks like the 32A are all $500ish (and higher).
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I'm still trying to figure out if Grizzl-E is cheapening out or not. $419 vs an equivalent Clipper Creek @ $659. I'm pretty sure it is actually rated and not just claimed to be.
I also took interest in Grizzl E after reading an earlier post about the brand in this forum.

As an earlier comment in this post pointed out, the EVSE is just an extension cord and circuit breaker, plus a mechanism to handshake with the car (initiate the charging session). Therefore, I find it hard to resist the price of $399/419/439 for a 40amp EVSE (18ft cable, 18ft cable suitable for cold weather, 24ft cable suitable for cold weather).

OP
OP

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
interesting... in Ford's training menu for dealer, MME require NEMA 15-50 instead of 14-50. What's the difference?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
interesting... in Ford's training menu for dealer, MME require NEMA 15-50 instead of 14-50. What's the difference?
That's a typo. NEMA 15-50 is for 3-phase 250V. US residential homes don't have that kind of power supply.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It's...a...typo...! lol That 15-50 needs to go away.
Ford Mustang Mach-E How fast is charger come with MME? 0SPoc

Here's a 15-50. I've never seen one in real life. It's a 3 phase plug. Commercial buildings only.
Ford Mustang Mach-E How fast is charger come with MME? LC_DOC_DDG_PNG_8450

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
For me, at least, the wall mounted charger also "frees up" the included portable charger to keep it in car all the time. Probably not a big deal for most, but I like the comfort of knowing I won't forget the charger when going on a trip (i.e.camping).
I was hoping there would be an option to buy another mobile charger so that one can stay in the car and one in the garage. I don't want/need the charging station.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I was hoping there would be an option to buy another mobile charger so that one can stay in the car and one in the garage. I don't want/need the charging station.
You don’t need the Ford one for that....there are plenty of generic ones on Amazon and elsewhere that’ll work. Just search for EV charger, and note the amperage though...I’ve seen some that are 16A, some 32.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I don't want/need the charging station.
I'm curious as to why you say that.

There's minimal technical difference between a charging station (plugged in, not hardwired) and a mobile charger. I suppose the latter provide a bag and multiple plugs, which makes it easier to carry around and use in different situations. On the other hand, the former provide cable management (a place for you to roll the cables and dock the j1772 plug).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

There's minimal technical difference between a charging station (plugged in, not hardwired) and a mobile charger. I suppose the latter provide a bag and multiple plugs, which makes it easier to carry around and use in different situations. On the other hand, the former provide cable management (a place for you to roll the cables and dock the j1772 plug).
For me two things will probably have me stopping short of going with the Ford Wall charger: $800, and 60A circuit needed. A 32A charger is more than enough for my needs.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Stations are also not as easy to steal. Mine would take a theif a minute to figure out how to remove.

I will be looking at an additional Ford Mobile Charger to replace other less able mobile chargers if the price is right. Although I doubt the price will be anywhere near right for that.
I hope they eventually come out with some additional pigtails for it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Stations are also not as easy to steal. Mine would take a theif a minute to figure out how to remove.

I will be looking at an additional Ford Mobile Charger to replace other less able mobile chargers if the price is right. Although I doubt the price will be anywhere near right for that.
I hope they eventually come out with some additional pigtails for it.
Yes, another consideration to remember: do you have a closed, locked garage? If you are installing in an open carport or outside of house, the wired-in units will be a greater deterrent to theft than something that is just plugged into the wall.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, another consideration to remember: do you have a closed, locked garage? If you are installing in an open carport or outside of house, the wired-in units will be a greater deterrent to theft than something that is just plugged into the wall.
True. Athough a couple of $2 clamps on the cord would probably be just as effective.

Or better yet, a lockable outlet cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Weathe...or+outdoor+outlet+240v&qid=1596121352&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.com/TayMac-MX3300-Horizontal-Weatherproof-Receptacle/dp/B001DKELYW/ref=sr_1_17?crid=1DZJ8I8JYAT3A&dchild=1&keywords=cover+for+outdoor+outlet&qid=1596121086&sprefix=cover+for+outdoor+,aps,196&sr=8-17

Last edited:

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag

It has nothing to do with technical differences, it's about cost for me. Might not be a big difference but for my needs I don't have the desire to spend hundreds for a station. If I can get another mobile charger thrown in or cheaper than the wall box, why get the station which costs hundreds? If I can't get an extra mobile charger no big deal, it was more for convenience than necessity. I am getting the SR version and I don't see myself putting a lot of miles on it daily so I may not even install the nema 14-50 outlet for a while to see how that goes (I will also have another vehicle).
Sponsored