Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I had an Oct/Nov Job 2 build with no frunk pieces. The interior release latch worked.
When you say “no frunk pieces” what do you mean? Do you mean there are no louvered panels at the back (near the windshield) that can be removed? No removable panels towards the front above the headlamps?
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Here's my question: if Ford is going on the "continuous development and improvement" train where things may be changed within the same model year, what does that mean for servicing cars? Would a newer replacement element be retrofitted to an older vehicle with an original design, or would all the variations be needed to fix a car based on its VIN?

The cooling system would be an extreme example, but if a warranty repair was needed for it I do wonder if redundancies have been discovered, would the system receive original design or new design?

As usual, I'm probably overthinking this. That's what I get for getting up in my own head without adult supervision.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Anybody get e-mails from dealers saying "Due to material shortages, Ford Motor Company has announced there will soon be a national price increase on most Ford models. Act today to lock in current low prices on all available inventory. "

I guess Ford is trying to cut costs and raise prices to deal with parts + material price inflation.
Sucks, but man you should see what we're dealing with in the construction industry.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Here's my question: if Ford is going on the "continuous development and improvement" train where things may be changed within the same model year, what does that mean for servicing cars? Would a newer replacement element be retrofitted to an older vehicle with an original design, or would all the variations be needed to fix a car based on its VIN?

The cooling system would be an extreme example, but if a warranty repair was needed for it I do wonder if redundancies have been discovered, would the system receive original design or new design?

As usual, I'm probably overthinking this. That's what I get for getting up in my own head without adult supervision.
This is why the parts department will ask for a VIN when looking up parts. The parts catalog will know what parts can be used interchangeably and what parts are system design specific. In the case of the cooling system you mentioned I imagine that some parts will be interchangeable and some will not.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
If a line replaceable unit (think part number) is updated and superseded you will get the individual part that will work with your configuration.

If a system is redesigned the normal approach is to apply that product improvement in production. Retrofit to pervious production is not common.

There are exceptions, generally driven by safety concerns - Example early Audi TT's were retrofitted with Electronic Stability Control (Worst Sports Cars: Audi TT (first generation) (motor1.com))

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I had an Oct/Nov Job 2 build with no frunk pieces. The interior release latch worked.
He's asking about the beauty covers being consolidated into fewer pieces, not the frunk dividers.

dsalad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 500E, MX-5, Prius, 55 Chevy truck
Country flag

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
He's asking about the beauty covers being consolidated into fewer pieces, not the frunk dividers.
My Job 2 MME is a late September ‘21 build and it does not have a frunk divider.