How Long Before People Accept The Mach-E As A Mustang?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but we have yet another review (wired this time) which starts off with "THE NAME THROWS everybody." Yet they go on to say "Even transposed to a four-door SUV form, the Mach-E looks like a Mustang, with angular design elements carved into its swooping, curved bodywork and beefy haunches over the rear wheels". So...*looks* like a Mustang, but still not a Mustang.

Are we really still here debating this? So...how long before the Press / general public stop raising eyebrows at the name?

a) This year
b) Next Year
c) Eventually
d) Never

Review here: https://www.wired.com/review/ford-mustang-mach-e/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I live out in the sticks and there are a ton of "real" mustangs around me. I get flipped off regularly. My neighbor has 2 fox bodies in his garage that sound like Armageddon is coming when he fires them up and he won't even wave back at me when I pass. I don't think it will be accepted.

PalsyWalsy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 400H, Lexus 300H, Buick Enclave, Mach E GT
Occupation
School Administration
Country flag
Make me think of Porsche.

Porsche is not a four door car! Now it is.

Porsche is not a SUV! Now it is.

Porsche is not electric! Now it is.

All are just called and accepted as Porsche.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
As long as they're not keying your car or putting you and your family in danger by driving like a-holes, don't worry too much about what others think. I have several family members who like to complain at me that it's, "not a real Mustang" every chance they get. I let them have that little bit of joy because they're obviously joyless husks who need to gatekeep everything in their lives.

/shrug.

Not my problem, but no, they can't have a ride in the Mustang.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It depends. Most of the people I have had interaction with ask ”Is that the new Electric Mustang?” So, it seems that the non-car public is just fine with it. For “car people,” there seem to be several camps: The stuck in the past people who will never accept it, the open-minded performance car people who either accept it or can be educated to accept it, the people who immediately accepted it, the EV crowd who don’t care what it’s called, plus more. 🤪🤷‍♂️🐩

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
To be quite honest I would never have bought a traditional (modern) Mustang anyway, I really don't care for them, so I'm not bothered driving a "Not-A-Real-Mustang!" Mach-E. I typically just call it a Mach-E, but if I'm with someone who I know will be annoyed by me calling it a Mustang, I lay it on thick and refer to it as a Mustang obnoxiously often, just because I like getting under peoples' skin.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang

Sixth generation (2015–present)

"Euro NCAP crash-tested the left hand drive (LHD) European version of the 2017 Mustang which received only two stars due to the lack of auto safety features such as lane assist and auto braking. EuroNCAP also pointed to insufficient pressure of the Airbag resulting in the driver's head hitting the steering wheel. In the full-width test, the rear passenger slipped under the seatbelt.[77][78]"

I'll keep my electric Mustang thank you.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I live out in the sticks and there are a ton of "real" mustangs around me. I get flipped off regularly. My neighbor has 2 fox bodies in his garage that sound like Armageddon is coming when he fires them up and he won't even wave back at me when I pass. I don't think it will be accepted.
you might want to move.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag

P65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Ice White Ed AWD ER premium
Country flag
It might take a generation.

But everyone who tell it's not a mustang, for sure did not try it out, by out I mean on serpentine roads.

Most would at least say with a smile, damned that was fun drive.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Currently drive a GT and love it. It's a Mustang, and so is the Mach-E I'll be trading it in on later this year. At some point Ford will probably make an electric version of the traditional body Mustang - ICE's are on the way out - and I wonder what the Mustang purists will say then?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Some will never accept it! My Wife met a woman yesterday and she said her husband promised to get her a Mustang when they started making them with 4 doors. He probably thought that would NEVER happen!! Lol
Looks like someone is getting an MME. 😊🐩

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
Do you care if the old school Mustang fan boys don't like your MME?

I sure DGAF bc although I have had ICE mustangs in the past......I always say my MME is the MachE & people don't like it........Who F*%$#@ cares......:D

Does not mean I don't want a GT500 or GT350 KR
Sponsored