blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Just thinking about this earlier while I'm on a long drive. With all of these aftermarket dealers doing tunes, motor modifications, motor swaps, etc. How long before it moves to EV vehicles?

Like when will we be able to purchase a tune that gives you another 100hp by jamming electricity into the motors. Or a full motor swap, or a 2 speed gearbox like the taycan has.

Why not have some aftermarket 900hp street Mach E's out there? They already built a 1400hp Mach E as a demonstration of doing this exact thing. I'd imagine the wear and tear on the car would be the assumed risk the same as having an 800-900hp mustang you're accepting that the motor will have reduced longevity.
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Just thinking about this earlier while I'm on a long drive. With all of these aftermarket dealers doing tunes, motor modifications, motor swaps, etc. How long before it moves to EV vehicles?

Like when will we be able to purchase a tune that gives you another 100hp by jamming electricity into the motors. Or a full motor swap, or a 2 speed gearbox like the taycan has.

Why not have some aftermarket 900hp street Mach E's out there? They already built a 1400hp Mach E as a demonstration of doing this exact thing. I'd imagine the wear and tear on the car would be the assumed risk the same as having an 800-900hp mustang you're accepting that the motor will have reduced longevity.
It will never be the same as ICE, thatā€™s for sure. But tunes will happen once the tuners get into the ECM, PCM, TCMs. I envision tunes offering more aggressive launches with a faster ramp up to full power but not really much more total output bc an electric motor is rated where itā€™s rated. Thatā€™s pretty much what Tesla offers in their $2-3K acceleration upgrades already. Me, Iā€™m just gonna throw a Vortech V3 Si-trim on my wifeā€™s 4X and see what happens. ??

OP
OP

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
It will never be the same as ICE, thatā€™s for sure. But tunes will happen once the tuners get into the ECM, PCM, TCMs. I envision tunes offering more aggressive launches with a faster ramp up to full power but not really much more total output bc an electric motor is rated where itā€™s rated. Thatā€™s pretty much what Tesla offers in their $2-3K acceleration upgrades already. Me, Iā€™m just gonna throw a Vortech V3 Si-trim on my wifeā€™s 4X and see what happens. ??
Hey maybe you can Vortech the cooling system for more efficiency and gain some sweet horses that way, lol.

I'd be curious what the actual max horsepower is on these motors, even the GTPE has more power than a GT, which again has more power by a large margin over a AWD version. Even if the GTPE is almost maxed out, the regular AWD crowd could get a boost from both motors I'm sure (even though the front motor is smaller). It would seem like a pretty standard download tune too.

I was watching a throttle house video with a Mercedes (forgot which one), Audi RS6 Avant (so freaking sexy), and another car. RS6 had a computer tune for over 800hp and the Mercedes had something crazy like a computer tune for 1000hp, no other engine modifications. Obviously ICE vs EV and what each motor is capable of. But it would be nice to download a 50-100hp/torque tune over the air. You'd just have to accept battery life and motor life will most likely suffer, same in a ICE engine.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Hey maybe you can Vortech the cooling system for more efficiency and gain some sweet horses that way, lol.

I'd be curious what the actual max horsepower is on these motors, even the GTPE has more power than a GT, which again has more power by a large margin over a AWD version. Even if the GTPE is almost maxed out, the regular AWD crowd could get a boost from both motors I'm sure (even though the front motor is smaller). It would seem like a pretty standard download tune too.

I was watching a throttle house video with a Mercedes (forgot which one), Audi RS6 Avant (so freaking sexy), and another car. RS6 had a computer tune for over 800hp and the Mercedes had something crazy like a computer tune for 1000hp, no other engine modifications. Obviously ICE vs EV and what each motor is capable of. But it would be nice to download a 50-100hp/torque tune over the air. You'd just have to accept battery life and motor life will most likely suffer, same in a ICE engine.
I think the GT and PE are both rated at 480hp but the PE gets the 634lb ft of torque vs. ā€œjustā€ 600 for the GT. I also assume the Ford guys programmed a harder launch to get that 3.5 vs 3.8 0-60mph since 34 extra lb ft ainā€™t cutting .3 off your 0-60mph time all else being equal. Kinda like the overboost function some oems do on their turbos.

Yeah, I saw the TH video as well (love those cannucks ?) but if that AMG E63S was 840 wheel hp (1000 crank) I know it had some mods other than just a tune to get to that level. I was in the used AMG market in ā€˜15 when I got my ā€˜14 SS/Holden Commodore and an ECU tune only can get you to 700-750ish crank hp before you need supporting parts. I saw dual CAI filters in the video and I guarantee it had a minimum of upgraded downpipes/exhaust and boost controller etc. probably upgraded turbos too. But yes, the engine internals were supposedly OEM.

I wouldnā€™t be a bit surprised if the Mach E team is working with Ford Racing Parts on tunes for MMEs. Modding is such a huge part of Mustang ownership as we both know from experience. FRP has some great factory warranty backed tunes for Mustang coupes (I had one on my modded ā€˜12 GT/CS) and I expect theyā€™ll do the same for the EV Stang crowd. Itā€™s gonna be expected, after all.

secretvampire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Gray MME GT
Country flag
I think the GT and PE are both rated at 480hp but the PE gets the 634lb ft of torque vs. ā€œjustā€ 600 for the GT. I also assume the Ford guys programmed a harder launch to get that 3.5 vs 3.8 0-60mph since 34 extra lb ft ainā€™t cutting .3 off your 0-60mph time all else being equal. Kinda like the overboost function some oems do on their turbos.
I would guess the summer tires have a lot to do with it as well, IMHO.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I would guess the summer tires have a lot to do with it as well, IMHO.
Nope. Not on an awd car they donā€™t. The OEM non-PE GT tires arenā€™t spinning enough on launch to lose .3 just to 60 mph, no way.

OP
OP

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I wouldnā€™t be a bit surprised if the Mach E team is working with Ford Racing Parts on tunes for MMEs. Modding is such a huge part of Mustang ownership as we both know from experience. FRP has some great factory warranty backed tunes for Mustang coupes (I had one on my modded ā€˜12 GT/CS) and I expect theyā€™ll do the same for the EV Stang crowd. Itā€™s gonna be expected, after all.
FRP is another reason I think they can increase power since there have been enough hints at a more powerful version coming from Ford. Unless they're putting in all new motors then they'll just be using the energy differently.

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
I'm waiting for a "chip" to remove the max speed limit!
Sponsored