How long to get that predicted 270 mile range?

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I apologize up front for posting this completely newbie question. I tried to search a bit, but my search skills are probably poor.

I am the owner of a brand new MME FE, as of last Monday evening. I just got the outlet for the 240V home charger installed yesterday, and I've done my first charge up to 100%. The predicted range in my Ford Pass and also on the dashboard digital display is 225 miles. I was expecting something more since the FE has the extended range battery.

Does it take some time for the vehicle to learn your driving habits and the predicted range will increase over time? If so, what's the estimate for how long that might take? Part of why I was attracted to the MME was the predicted 270 mile range. For me a 200 mile round trip is important, and I'd much rather arrive back home with about 70 miles left than about 25 miles left, just for my peace of mind.

So, will my MME get used to my driving and gradually predict more range, or is it actually there, and I should remain calm, or am I worrying needlessly here?

Thanks very much, in advance, for any advice or consolation!

smp
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Well first of all yes: remain calm all is well.

Since your car is brand new you may want to reset the range calculation history (its in the settings somewhere). Then the car will start to learn your habits and calculate the range appropriately.

Given that: As the weather warms up you'll see better range. It is likely you may even see 300 miles at some point (of course that may not be accurate for a highway road trip but if you drive in the city a lot for "a tank").

Also try to turn off e-heat as much as possible.

My California Route 1 just showed 300 miles on a full charge this morning...

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I didn't even do the reset and within a week or two it was showing in the upper 200's.

DocOfClocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-E Premium AWD, CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
I apologize up front for posting this completely newbie question. I tried to search a bit, but my search skills are probably poor.

I am the owner of a brand new MME FE, as of last Monday evening. I just got the outlet for the 240V home charger installed yesterday, and I've done my first charge up to 100%. The predicted range in my Ford Pass and also on the dashboard digital display is 225 miles. I was expecting something more since the FE has the extended range battery.

Does it take some time for the vehicle to learn your driving habits and the predicted range will increase over time? If so, what's the estimate for how long that might take? Part of why I was attracted to the MME was the predicted 270 mile range. For me a 200 mile round trip is important, and I'd much rather arrive back home with about 70 miles left than about 25 miles left, just for my peace of mind.

So, will my MME get used to my driving and gradually predict more range, or is it actually there, and I should remain calm, or am I worrying needlessly here?

smp
It is actually there (unless it is cold), and you should remain calm. You need to judge by actual range, not predicted range. If you are getting above 3.0 miles/kWh, then you will get your 270 miles.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Don't worry. Quite literally, your mileage may vary (YMMV). My example: In Seattle (cool and frequently rainy), driven hard (max acceleration 90% of the time), driven on highways (60-75 depending on flow of traffic), driven sideways (it is, after all, a Mustang).
Driving like grandma is all well and good for ICE, but in my experience it doesn't help for **** in an EV.

Screenshot_20210417-091141_FordPass.jpg

OP
OP
smp

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks a million, folks, for the quick assurances! Greatly appreciated.

I tend to be a bit obsessive about things like this, and your assurances will help me sleep better.

smp

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

I tend to be a bit obsessive about things like this, and your assurances will help me sleep better.

smp
I think you already might know this but be careful putting too much stock in the range estimate. If you eventually get up to 270 miles from a mix of city and highway driving and then take a roadtrip doing lets say a constant 85mph on an open highway, assuming this is something you do not ordinarily do in your Mach-E, then your range estimate will drop a lot faster than miles actually traveled.

Basically, you need about 3.1 miles per kwh to get approximately 270 miles of range on an AWD ER (the First Edition) on a 100% charge. You would need about 2.3 miles per kwh to get about 200 miles of range out of a 100% charge. It’s a low bar for the range you need, but something to keep an eye on just in case depending on how fast you like to move on the highway.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
One thing I would recommend is using engage mode, either one pedal or two, and use the braking coach to learn how to extract the most regen. YOu want to be able to stop as quickly as possible while still getting 100% back Ideally. Also, play around with the way you take off from a stop to see what gives you the best M/kWh.

I was nervous as hell the first few weeks I had my car, because this is my first ever EV, but I’ve found that now I’m beginning to understand how to get the performance I need out of the battery and I feel more in control of my fate.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
One thing I would recommend is using engage mode, either one pedal or two, and use the braking coach to learn how to extract the most regen. YOu want to be able to stop as quickly as possible while still getting 100% back Ideally. Also, play around with the way you take off from a stop to see what gives you the best M/kWh.

I was nervous as hell the first few weeks I had my car, because this is my first ever EV, but I’ve found that now I’m beginning to understand how to get the performance I need out of the battery and I feel more in control of my fate.

smp
This time of year, getting over 270 is very easy. Here are some numbers. “Trip 1” is the distance I have driven since full charge. 18% remaining. 3.7 miles/kWh. do the math. This was 75% around town and 25% at highway speeds. I just fully charged again and the GOM now says 298 miles. Note that my car has been learning about range for over 1000 miles now. AWD ER.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How long to get that predicted 270 mile range? ACBABDE6-383B-4776-B1F4-9F0DA4C793B0

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

smp
The real number to watch is your miles/kWh. Track it over days/weeks with the trip meters. Multiply by 88 kWh and that's your better range estimate for that type of driving/temps/conditions.

OP
OP
smp

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK! Thanks very much, again, folks.

Since I already confessed that I haven’t driven very much, I am going to have to get out there a do some practice!

Thanks especially for the tips on miles per kWh, and where to see that. Of course I’ve seen that screen, but I’m still trying to remember where to go get a lot of different things, as I’m not used to having *everything* on the screen in my car.

I’m having fun for sure, and being able to ask questions here and get the support and advice from you all is really excellent.

Thanks again!

smp

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just remember the usual adjustments for EV range.... High speed can cost 10-20% off range. Cold temps with cabin heat another 10%+. Elevation gain as much as 20%. Wet roads another few%. Extra weight in the car another few%. Etc etc.

Just because a calculation may project X number of miles doesn't mean you'll get it. You have to adjust it if encountering such conditions on that drive. Miles/kWh can easily range between 2.0 and 4.0, or even outside those in more extreme cases.

Drive 40 MPH to the store in 70F temps, you'll be closer to 4.0.
Drive 80 MPH in 30F temps, you'll be closer to 2.0.

OP
OP
smp

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks very much for these specifics, @dbsb3233 ! Greatly appreciated.

As a complete EV newbie, I really appreciate all the support here. Thanks very much again, folks!

smp

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Try charging your battery to ?, reset the trip meter and drive to zero%. That is your range.
My lifetime efficiency is 3.7 and I don’t get 270 on the Guess-O-Meter.
Using brake coach is an excellent idea for newbies. Also turn on the trip recording so you can see how you are doing after.
Sponsored