How long to get that predicted 270 mile range?

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Ditto to everything said by everyone above. At what percentage have you been typically charging at and back up to? For me, it seemed to also help to run it down to around 20% before charging it back up to 100%. Prior I was "topping it off" when it was saying 50-60% and the guesstimated range on the display was still showing lower than advertised.

More details in this thread:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mme-rwd-er-getting-amazing-328-miles-range.5694/
Sponsored

Reactions: smp

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Thanks very much, in advance, for any advice or consolation!

smp
Ambient temperature will have a large effect on the range predicted and the miles achieved. I saw dramatic increase in predicted range with temperatures in the mid 70s and above.

Took AWD ER on a long trip yesterday. At the start:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How long to get that predicted 270 mile range? 1619970426703

Another variable to watch. Miles driven vs Range reduced.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How long to get that predicted 270 mile range? 1619970627676

First 28.6 miles driven reduced range prediction 24 miles.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So...charging your battery to 100% regularly is NOT RECOMMENDED. Manual says 90%. I won't bore you with all of the science you can easily find by googling it. tl;dr - your battery will last longer if you keep the SOC between 40 and 90 as much as possible.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks very much for these specifics, @dbsb3233 ! Greatly appreciated.

As a complete EV newbie, I really appreciate all the support here. Thanks very much again, folks!

smp
I'm technically a newbie too, although I've been "studying" (here and YouTube) for a year and a half now. Feel like I've just graduated with a masters degree and am 2 months into the "job" with my Mach-E now. ?

Bottom line - take the range meter in the MME with a big grain of salt. It's somewhat helpful as an estimate, but IMO too many people concern themselves with whether it's reaching the "right" goal or not. Miles/kWh is what counts, and watching that gives people a better feel for what factors affect it. It's not like an ICE car where MPG doesn't move a whole lot (and we don't care much if it does because gas refuels are quick and easy to find). Miles/kWh moves a lot more than MPG. Long road trips can take more planning for the route factors and the charging stops.

But around home (assuming you have easy home charging), range is pretty irrelevant. That's the biggest plus of a BEV - easy and cheap home charging.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ditto to everything said by everyone above. At what percentage have you been typically charging at and back up to? For me, it seemed to also help to run it down to around 20% before charging it back up to 100%. Prior I was "topping it off" when it was saying 50-60% and the guesstimated range on the display was still showing lower than advertised.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mme-rwd-er-getting-amazing-328-miles-range.5694/
The charging pattern should have no effect on the actual range.

Whether it has some effect on the range meter (Guess-O-Meter), who knows, but that doesn't affect actual range. That's determined by the amount of kWh in the battery (Battery%) and the driving efficiency of the yet-to-be-driven miles.

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag

I plug it in when I get around 25% and have it set to stop charging at 90%.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
The charging pattern should have no effect on the actual range.

Whether it has some effect on the range meter (Guess-O-Meter), who knows, but that doesn't affect actual range. That's determined by the amount of kWh in the battery (Battery%) and the driving efficiency of the yet-to-be-driven miles.
Yup wasn't talking about actual range, just the guesstimated range. Letting it run to a lower battery amount seemed to help it set a more realistic guesstimated range rather than just top offs.

OP
OP
smp

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK! Thanks again to all who have replied with advice and suggestions. All greatly appreciated.

My wife & I took a ride to nowhere today, just to get a lengthy trip under our belts and see what will happen. We started out with 92% battery available. An overcast 70 degree day up here in NH.

We did a highway drive, about 80-82 miles out, turn around and then back. My normal cruise control setting on the highway when we're not trying to make time to somewhere, is 64 MPH. Watching the Miles per kWh on My Trip, it was pretty consistent, flipping back-and-forth between 3.1 and 3.3 miles per kWh. When we got back, the car reports 96 miles left, 38% left.

So, 162 miles, round trip, with 96 miles still left, would mean 268 miles total - and that is pretty close to the 270 it saiid on the sticker!

This is excellent! I am thrilled that this is all working out so well! At least in this weather we have right now, and not going crazy with other electricity usage, it looks like I can charge my MME overnight on my mobile charger, and contemplate a 200+ mile round trip, just like I was hoping.

Thanks again for all the advice and assurances! You folks are great to have available!

smp

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Watching the Miles per kWh on My Trip, it was pretty consistent, flipping back-and-forth between 3.1 and 3.3 miles per kWh. When we got back, the car reports 96 miles left, 38% left.

So, 162 miles, round trip, with 96 miles still left, would mean 268 miles total - and that is pretty close to the 270 it saiid on the sticker!
The key number is the mi/kwh - assuming the value was really around 3.2 (for some reason it goes from 3.0 - 3.1 - 3.3 - 3.5 - 3.7 - 3.9), your actual range would have been around 281 miles.

Ford sandbagged the numbers so that they won't have complaints about not making the advertised range. Keep in mind that the "270" number is supposed to be the COMBINED city and highway driving; the HIGHWAY EPA number is actually around 252. Just like with an ICE, you will see some efficiency loss with the A/C on, so you'll lose a bit in summer. Unlike ICE vehicles that waste 2/3rds of their energy as waste heat, the electric heater will also cut your efficiency (and thus range) in winter.

Regardless, unless you drive it one way up a mountain you should have no trouble getting at least 235 miles of range in the winter.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
We did a highway drive, about 80-82 miles out, turn around and then back. My normal cruise control setting on the highway when we're not trying to make time to somewhere, is 64 MPH. Watching the Miles per kWh on My Trip, it was pretty consistent, flipping back-and-forth between 3.1 and 3.3 miles per kWh. When we got back, the car reports 96 miles left, 38% left.
If I drove 64mph on the hiway around here I would get run over, or pull all of my hair out.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Ext. Range - Infinite Blue
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
I've been ignoring the estimated range. It seems random (but so is my driving). In fact the other day, I got in and my car said I had 308 miles of range. Most mornings it reads 280-ish.
Sponsored

Last edited: