How Long to Release From a Level 2 Charger?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ok, thanks to a kind soul in another thread, I’ve learned that unplugging the FCCS charge coupler from my car is NOT the same as unplugging a toaster from a wall outlet. One grasps the coupler, presses the button on the coupler, listens while the car makes a variety of odd noises, after about 5 seconds, gives an experimental tug on the coupler only to find that it’s STILL firmly latched onto the car, waits a random period of time longer, gives another experimental tug, the coupler at this time may or may not disengage. If it does not disengage, continue waiting while the car continues with its random hums and clicks. If it DOES disengage, you’re treated to a festive little fireworks-like light show on the charging light ring of different colors in different positions for a moment (about a second) followed by some last minute sound effects from the car.
Is this level of dramatic production really necessary to simply unplug a car? What would happen if there were a power failure and the car couldn’t put on its little “time to uncouple” performance?
All kidding aside, how long is it supposed to take after you push the button on the coupler before the car unlocks it?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
According to the owners manual, the release button is only for DCFC. But you're not the first person to report having to use it with the FCCS (and a select few other L2 EVSEs). I've never had to hit that button to unplug, so I'm not sure why it's doing that for some people.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I know the DC fast chargers that use those that extended CCS part locks in place, but I didn't think that the J1772 plug locks to the car. When you push that tab on the charger it tells the car to stop charging (hopefully immediately, those noises are contactors/relays switching). If you unplug something under load you're going to get a spark (same with the toaster). I've found that the charge plug is rather snug and takes some playing with to get it to come out... maybe that's what's happening?

If the CCS DC fast charger gets stuck locked, there is a manual release under the hood (also under the cover panels).

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m sorry I wasn’t clear - I didn’t mean the charger release button in the middle of the circle of lights - I meant the release button on the top of the charge coupler itself. I have to depress and hold it down for about 15 seconds or more before the car finally lets go of the charge coupler.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
When you press the button on the charge handle to release the latch, it *also* sends the signal to tell the car it is being unplugged. The car should respond by stopping the charge very quickly (about a second or less).

When I do this with my car, I can hear the relay click on the wall box and the light displayed on the wall box will change to tell me it is not actively charging. (the FCCS has a solid blue "bar" that pulsates bright/dim while actively charging. A single blue led (not the whole bar) which is not pulsating means it available to charge ... but not *actively* charging.

If you hear the click and see the single blue LED (not blinking/pulsing) then you should be able to pull the plug out of the charge port with any issues.

Since this is just L2 charging, I don't believe there is any lock other than the latch that is released when you push the button on the handle. I have never had my car resist letting me disconnect any L2 charger. DCFC's are another beast ... they do "lock" onto the car.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I'm one of those who reported that I have to press the button on the car to disconnect my FCCS. Next time, I'll try depressing the button on the handle and wait for a response.

The apparent inconsistencies in experiences is strange!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’m using a dumb charger. I just push the latch on top of my plug handle and pull. There are no dramatics nor fireworks. My car does not hold onto my charger. It does indeed unplug like a toaster.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well, I’m seeing if I can go a week without charging (since my daily commute right now is to Starbucks a mile away ?) I’ll try to provide a more accurate report on my next experience, or perhaps go in search of another (free) level 2 charger.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Well, I’m seeing if I can go a week without charging (since my daily commute right now is to Starbucks a mile away ?) I’ll try to provide a more accurate report on my next experience, or perhaps go in search of another (free) level 2 charger.
true story - when I got in my car this morning for a trip it volunteered that traffic to the local Starbucks was clear.

in other words it had learned that I at least somewhat often go to Starbucks in the morning.

which was scary, great, and a sad statement about me, all in one I think.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
true story - when I got in my car this morning for a trip it volunteered that traffic to the local Starbucks was clear.

in other words it had learned that I at least somewhat often go to Starbucks in the morning.

My car hasn't figured that out yet, but my iPhone certainly has :D

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

My car thinks my house is the location of a construction company. Whenever I'm out & about and get back in my car, it says "x miles to yyyyyy Construction Company, no traffic". The company mentioned is the developer of my subdivision and he lived about a block from me. The problem is, he passed asawy and the company dissolved about 8 years ago. I can't find any way to change it to tell me I need to go "home" instead.

And,I agree. The way the car learns your habits is at least eyebrow-raising.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
My car thinks my house is the location of a construction company. Whenever I'm out & about and get back in my car, it says "x miles to yyyyyy Construction Company, no traffic". The company mentioned is the developer of my subdivision and he lived about a block from me. The problem is, he passed asawy and the company dissolved about 8 years ago. I can't find any way to change it to tell me I need to go "home" instead.

And,I agree. The way the car learns your habits is at least eyebrow-raising.
yeah but it was promised so it's interesting to see it. even if it's telling me something I don't want to see.

also maybe the ghost of the construction guy is haunting your car. ??
Sponsored