How long to wait before ceramic coating?

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
About to take delivery of a brand new MachE... literally rolled off the factory a week and a half ago. I know that you typically want to wait a few months before applying a wax to allow the car's paint to cure... is this the same for applying a ceramic coating? If so, how long should I wait?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
What leads you to believe it left the paint line in Cuatitlan and reached NY within a week and a half?
I factory ordered it and have been following the tracking pretty intently. Just left Kansas City yesterday and expected to be in Newark before the end of the week.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
This is a good question. I don't have a definitive answer but would say to get it coated asap. Myself, I'll probably hand wash and use Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray the first day I get the car. It'll never be as clean as that, might was well do it asap - that's my theory. Also, I seriously doubt a mass produced car's paint job really needs any more cure time than what it gets at the factory and during transport.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My detail guy who I use for Ceramic Pro coatings on my cars tells me to wait at least one month before coating providing the car has not been in super cold weather otherwise 6 weeks. I think he is being conservative as I know others wait around 2 weeks.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
I factory ordered it and have been following the tracking pretty intently. Just left Kansas City yesterday and expected to be in Newark before the end of the week.
Well that beats my 67 days in transit all to hell ;)

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
Got mine paint corrected, XPEL'd and ceramic coated a couple of days after I got it (January 12th, 2022), but the "build date" was October 11th, 2021, so that should be fine.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It can be done pretty much as soon as you get the car. My detailer did say he hated the paint as it didn't like to cooperate very nicely though.

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
My detail guy who I use for Ceramic Pro coatings on my cars tells me to wait at least one month before coating providing the car has not been in super cold weather otherwise 6 weeks. I think he is being conservative as I know others wait around 2 weeks.
Spoke to a detail guy in the neighborhood, and he told me factory paint jobs get "gassed" off the line which helps the curing process and would allow me to do ceramic whenever I wanted. He seemed like a solid/trustworthy guy, but at the same time he has a financial incentive for me to drive the car right to him off the lot, so was hoping to get a second opinion.

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Spoke to a detail guy in the neighborhood, and he told me factory paint jobs get "gassed" off the line which helps the curing process and would allow me to do ceramic whenever I wanted. He seemed like a solid/trustworthy guy, but at the same time he has a financial incentive for me to drive the car right to him off the lot, so was hoping to get a second opinion.
I had the coating applied the day I picked up my car. That was in April and the car still looks great.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also have my cars coated a day or two after I pick them up from the dealer. With the exception of the Focus RS which took over 3 months to get to me after being built, all the other cars seem to take 3-4 weeks so not an issue getting it done right away.

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Keep in mind that most of our cars will be well over a month from production date by the time we get them.

I had my infinite blue Mach-e done by a pro with Ceramic-pro in their Silver package. That also involved a limited amount of color correction — mostly for water spots (my transit time was around 12 weeks). I’m very happy with it.

Do it your self wise, the spray products have been talked about. I used Avalon King Armor IX wipe on (pro style) on our fully restored 2000 Jeep Wrangler. 2 coats made the red really pop. Keep in mind that preparation is essential with all these products though, particularly the wipe on “pro style” ceramic coatings.

Last edited:

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I have been into car detailing as a hobby for a long time and have used many ceramic spray sealants, but never ceramic coatings. When my wife's GTPE arrives in a few weeks, I plan on applying a ceramic coating myself. I have done quite a bit of research on choosing a coating and I am going to apply a Gyeon coating from their new Evo line. Gyeon Cancoat Evo is perhaps the easiest ceramic coating to apply on the market today. Some call it a "coating light". Or I may apply Gyeon One Evo, which is their entry level "actual" coating.

Both can be applied outside, which is a must for me. And I plan on applying it almost immediately after delivery.
Sponsored