How much larger a tire can fit on premium wheels?

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I was looking at the wheel wells of the MME and wondering what type/size tire I would replace the OEM tires with in a couple of years. Realistically the OEM tires rarely last more than 30k miles with any good tread left. I wonder how much larger a tire I could put on the premium rims before tire would jut out beyond the wheel wells. Stock is 225/55/R60. I wonder if 245/50/60 would fit in the wheel well without sticking out or rubbing in the well. There are a lot of high performance tires in that size...acknowledging of course that this will reduce range....I also wonder how much range would be lost.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I was looking at the wheel wells of the MME and wondering what type/size tire I would replace the OEM tires with in a couple of years. Realistically the OEM tires rarely last more than 30k miles with any good tread left. I wonder how much larger a tire I could put on the premium rims before tire would jut out beyond the wheel wells. Stock is 225/55/R60. I wonder if 245/50/60 would fit in the wheel well without sticking out or rubbing in the well. There are a lot of high performance tires in that size...acknowledging of course that this will reduce range....I also wonder how much range would be lost.
Tire life depends: If they put low-rolling-resistance tires on the car like most other BEV's then they will likely last longer than 30k. The LRR tires are of a much harder compound than your normal tires and as such don't wear as fast (and can be a little slippery on the roads as well).

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
There are a lot of high performance tires in that size...acknowledging of course that this will reduce range....I also wonder how much range would be lost.
Hey, I see you have a 2019 Nissan Leaf SL+ just like I have --- so I think you pretty well know what's in the equation here. :)
Rolling resistance is a huge factor in a EV's range --- just minor changes in tire pressures will change the range available.

I love my 2019 Leaf Plus and it does everything I need and a lot more --- but that Mustang E-Pony had me hooked right from the start.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
The wheel is 7 inches wide. The maximum recommended tire width is 225 (usual recommandation is between 195 and 225). I assume that this is to reduce wheel weight and get better efficiency. I was quite surprised when I saw 7 inches. I would have tought 7.5 or 8 inches.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My stepbrother works for a tire company and when I asked that same question, he said 235/50/R19 should not be a problem for the rim coming from a stock 225/55. The tire may bulge out a bit more from the wheel. 245s might look particularly goofy though as they look like a muffin top.

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Hey, I see you have a 2019 Nissan Leaf SL+ just like I have --- so I think you pretty well know what's in the equation here. :)
Rolling resistance is a huge factor in a EV's range --- just minor changes in tire pressures will change the range available.

I love my 2019 Leaf Plus and it does everything I need and a lot more --- but that Mustang E-Pony had me hooked right from the start.
I like our Leaf....ok. I have a couple of complaints about it. The center console the way it is v shaped hurts my knee and cramps my leg room very badly. (It is my wife's car mostly so that is why I did not let it factor in our decision to purchase.)

The wheels are butt ugly.....IMO

No sunroof.....why not??? I am a ex-submariner and I now hate tight confined spaces. One of the factors I like about the MME.

We do run the tires at 40psi (Recommended is 36 if I remember correctly.) This probably helps us achieve our 4m/kwh average. The Chevy bolt we had before we consistently got 4.5 m/kwh however. The Leaf is a much heavier and nicer car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I like our Leaf....ok. I have a couple of complaints about it. The center console the way it is v shaped hurts my knee and cramps my leg room very badly. (It is my wife's car mostly so that is why I did not let it factor in our decision to purchase.)

The wheels are butt ugly.....IMO

No sunroof.....why not??? I am a ex-submariner and I now hate tight confined spaces. One of the factors I like about the MME.

We do run the tires at 40psi (Recommended is 36 if I remember correctly.) This probably helps us achieve our 4m/kwh average. The Chevy bolt we had before we consistently got 4.5 m/kwh however. The Leaf is a much heavier and nicer car.
My 2016 Leaf (30kWh) is currently running at 4.3 m/kwh and we normally get between 4-5.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Tire life depends: If they put low-rolling-resistance tires on the car like most other BEV's then they will likely last longer than 30k. The LRR tires are of a much harder compound than your normal tires and as such don't wear as fast (and can be a little slippery on the roads as well).
This is not completely accurate, Different tread compound is one of the ways tire manufactures can lessen the rolling resistance but the technology has moved on from that. Today it has more to do with the ease of tires to be deformed by the road and snapped back to round.

I am planning on going a 245/50/19 and some lightweight aftermarket wheels. Depending on results I may end up going 245/55/18

Last edited:

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The wheel is 7 inches wide. The maximum recommended tire width is 225 (usual recommandation is between 195 and 225). I assume that this is to reduce wheel weight and get better efficiency. I was quite surprised when I saw 7 inches. I would have tought 7.5 or 8 inches.
I have 235/55 tires and they look and work just fine.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have 235/55 tires and they look and work just fine.
Nice! Mind sharing some details and pics? What tires did you go with and how do they look from the sides and back? Did the shop mention anything when you got them mounted?

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Nice! Mind sharing some details and pics? What tires did you go with and how do they look from the sides and back? Did the shop mention anything when you got them mounted?
I got the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires. Discount tire gave me $40 each for the tires that came on the car. They said it was not a common size and they didn't really need it, but since I was a repeat customer they agreed to do it. I will get some more close-up pics after I finish with my DIY ceramic.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How much larger a tire can fit on premium wheels? tires.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: