Lis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Registered Dietitian
Country flag
Hi, new to the forum, and new to EV’s. I’ve been procrastinating getting a charger installed because I’m struggling to understand how to make sure it’s done safely. Now, reading your posts that mention people who “plug in and burn their house down” 😳 …you have my attention.
Since I am that dummy 🙋🏼‍♀️who struggles to remember the difference between a volt an an amp, and (sadly) don’t know a trustworthy electrician, how can I make sure that my garage is set up with a safe charging situation?? Please share your wisdom! 🏠🔥🚒😭
Sponsored

MachE Mach

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
You could always use a professional installation company like qmerit (this is not an endorsement, I have no experience with them 😁)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Do some research online of electrical contractors in your area. Pick three who have good reputations and reviews and get proposals for what you need done. Be sure they are licensed and insured.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Sanford Electric did really good work for me when I lived in your neck of the woods. I would not hesitate to have them put in a 14-50 outlet. Buy a 40amp charger like a GrizzlE and you should be fine.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The installation requires an inspection.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Hi, new to the forum, and new to EV’s. I’ve been procrastinating getting a charger installed because I’m struggling to understand how to make sure it’s done safely. Now, reading your posts that mention people who “plug in and burn their house down” 😳 …you have my attention.
Since I am that dummy 🙋🏼‍♀️who struggles to remember the difference between a volt an an amp, and (sadly) don’t know a trustworthy electrician, how can I make sure that my garage is set up with a safe charging situation?? Please share your wisdom! 🏠🔥🚒😭
Licensed electrician.

Now that that’s out of the way, so you don’t stress so much, go look at your breaker box and count how many 220v breakers your house currently has.

Then remember there’s probably one for each hot water heater, a/c, stove, dryer etc. then know that every house in your neighborhood has the same setup.

And none of them have burned down.

You’ll be fine.

Maxwells4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select RWD + CTP, IBSM
Country flag
Maxwell approves!

But to the question, even if an electrician is willing to do the work without a permit and inspection (which I would bet on), most likely nothing stops you from getting one anyway if you want a little extra peace of mind. You can call the permitting department of your city to find out more.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most places in the civilized world require a permit and inspection. If you live in a city or town then contact the electrical inspector. They may even have a list of qualified electricians; although, I think they would not recommend any in particular for ethical reasons. Or, as mentioned, a licensed and insured electrician should be good to do the work. It may be that you can find someone who has done this kind of work for someone else in your area.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Florida or her particular location requires a permit and inspection for 14-50 outlet?
Every location should require an inspection to add a breaker, wiring, and an outlet.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Every location should require an inspection to add a breaker, wiring, and an outlet.
My licensed electrician added a 14-50 outlet and 50 amp breaker to my garage, no permit or inspection was required by code last I checked but I understand having one done to make sure it was done correctly

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Also, for peace of mind, regularly check the temperature on the outside of your charging equipment with your hand. If it's warm, it's probably working correctly. If it's hot, stop using it and have it checked.
Sponsored