Oldlawman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" - Rapid Red Mach E AWD EXTD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Took delivery of my Rapid Red AWD EXTD MME on 7 November and have only done 107 miles to date so I am not exactly burning rubber. Still running on the original 100% charge from the dealership which is now down to 64% or 178 miles. I am new to all this and would appreciate advice as to how often to charge up overnight as I will not be doing a great deal of driving at least not until the spring. My dealer said to just leave the vehicle plugged in all the time but that does not seem right to me. Obviously before any long journey I will charge up but what about on a daily basis when I am not doing any driving?

I must say that I am 100% delighted with my MME, gorgeous to look at and drives like a dream. I was really pleased to find the frunk release on the screen next to the boot (liftgate) button.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Whatever fits your use case. I typically plug in whenever I get below 50% and charge to 90%. Sometimes that‘s 2 days between charges, sometimes 2 weeks. If I know I have a long drive the next day, I’ll charge to 100% the night before.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Took delivery of my Rapid Red AWD EXTD MME on 7 November and have only done 107 miles to date so I am not exactly burning rubber. Still running on the original 100% charge from the dealership which is now down to 64% or 178 miles. I am new to all this and would appreciate advice as to how often to charge up overnight as I will not be doing a great deal of driving at least not until the spring. My dealer said to just leave the vehicle plugged in all the time but that does not seem right to me. Obviously before any long journey I will charge up but what about on a daily basis when I am not doing any driving?

I must say that I am 100% delighted with my MME, gorgeous to look at and drives like a dream. I was really pleased to find the frunk release on the screen next to the boot (liftgate) button.
Did you read the manual that came with your new car?

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I charge to 90% pretty much every day as I use around 40% battery on my daily commute. Couple times I've let the car get down to low 20% to stretch it out a bit.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Read the manual.

Save the home location, set limit to 90% and set the hours you want to charge. Plug in all the time. When you're going on a trip, override and set to 100%, a simple button push on the app.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Read the manual.

Save the home location, set limit to 90% and set the hours you want to charge. Plug in all the time. When you're going on a trip, override and set to 100%, a simple button push on the app.
Rick is spot on!
If you have L1 (110V) you will need to leave it plugged in most of the time because of charging speed. If you have 240V that supports L2 charging you can unplug more often since your charge speed is so much faster.
L3 (DCFC) should be used for long trips or if you can't charge at home. Extended periods of DCFC use will degrade the battery life.

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rick is spot on!
If you have L1 (110V) you will need to leave it plugged in most of the time because of speed. If you have 240V that supports L2 charging you can unplug more often since your charge speed is so much faster.
L3 (DCFC) should be used for long trips or if you can't charge at home. Extended periods of DCFC use will degrade the battery life.
Leave it plugged in on Level 2 charging. If it's at your desire charge level, it's all set. Then, temps drop and it says "hey, I want to warm the battery up a bit". If it's plugged in, it will use house current to warm it up. If not, it will use its own power, and you'll come back to less than your set charge level and wonder why.

There is ZERO REASON TO NOT PLUG IN THE CAR WHEN AT HOME.

OP
OP
Oldlawman

Oldlawman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" - Rapid Red Mach E AWD EXTD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rick is spot on!
If you have L1 (110V) you will need to leave it plugged in most of the time because of charging speed. If you have 240V that supports L2 charging you can unplug more often since your charge speed is so much faster.
I have a home charger with 240V

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My outlet for HVSE is not in a great location and I often pull the cord under my other car. I will unplug it to get it out of the way to avoid driving over it.
:cool:
Try suspending the cord from the ceiling.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If it's plugged in, it will use house current to warm it up. If not, it will use its own power, and you'll come back to less than your set charge level and wonder why.
I don't think it will ever use battery power to keep the battery warm when parked off plug.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Try suspending the cord from the ceiling.
I wish I had the room and the cord was long enough to do that in my garage. I have to drag the cord along the floor a lot. :(

Leaving it plugged in doesn't hurt anything to agree with your post and the OP has L2 and can leave it plugged in.

BTRYPWRDPONY

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE GTPE DMG
Country flag
Read the manual.

That's what I do, plug in every night and charge to 90%- precondition / warm cabin before I unplug.
Sponsored