How serious is this recall notice? “BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE”

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I’m sorry to ask how can I get the OTA in route? I thought all OTA’s needed your WiFi connection which I won’t have during my trip. Is there a way to force the update? I think I have successfully set for an automatic over-the-air update but have not gotten it yet.
OTA comes over the cars internal cellular modem as well, in theory.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I’m sorry to ask how can I get the OTA in route? I thought all OTA’s needed your WiFi connection which I won’t have during my trip. Is there a way to force the update? I think I have successfully set for an automatic over-the-air update but have not gotten it yet.
OTA's can also be downloaded via the on board cellular modem.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
OTA's can also be downloaded via the on board cellular modem.
Yes but I didn't think you could make them happen in an active sense. Or am I mistaken about that?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes but I didn't think you could make them happen in an active sense. Or am I mistaken about that?
There is no way for you to force an update--it is all controlled on Ford's side.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
There is no way for you to force an update--it is all controlled on Ford's side.
Thanks, that was my impression too. (Build week 9/26).

DamDoc

First Name
Dr R Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Mach E AWD select; 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Consulting Engineering
Country flag
Here's the difference with the software and without:. With: your car will go into semi turtle mode if the car senses impending contactor failure, still can drive it, and still can get up to highway speed, but you will want to get service as soon as possible. Without: if your car's contactors get damaged/operate out of spec, your car gets hard bricked and will need to be towed, it will not shift.

Risk assessment: I estimate likelihood this will happen to your car at all to be between 1 and 2 percent.
That’s 1 or 2 percent EVER.. less risk if your worried about this specific trip. Possible but low likelyhood

DamDoc

First Name
Dr R Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Mach E AWD select; 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Consulting Engineering
Country flag
"At all" and "ever" are roughly equivalent.
Correct…. But if it is a certain risk level for the life of the car, it is significantly less likely it will happen on the next trip than over the life of the car.. just saying.. risk is my business…

OP
OP

Michael H. Humphrey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I think I got the update OTA. But anyway I made the trip and am back home now. I’m scheduled next week for my first 10,000 mile service. I’ll ask about it then also.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
First post in the @DevSecOps thread on the HVBJB failures: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ers-biggest-fear-facts-and-info-thread.18143/

Those are the post-recall bricks that have been reported on the forum. Unknown if there are others belonging to people not on the forum. 😱🐩
Hmmm, that was after the car was driven more than 150 miles with the SVS? I would hope that the SVS would be addressed earlier than that, unless you were in a road trip, which Todd was. I don't think that counts.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Hmmm, that was after the car was driven more than 150 miles with the SVS? I would hope that the SVS would be addressed earlier than that, unless you were in a road trip, which Todd was. I don't think that counts.
We just had another SSN post recall that was handled via DMs yesterday. We handle a lot of HVBJB issues from new or lurking members all the time. Many created an account just to get assistance. I'm not on the public side of the forum bashing Ford, but these cases happen and I think I've seen at least 5 now.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
Got the online recall done overnight ota and took about 5 days for the recall icon to disappear from my Ford site.........Now the Icon is back, so I went to the dealer today who told me all my recalls are completed and up to date......so why is this stupid little icon back after disappearing? Anyone else gotten the recall icon back ?

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
We just had another SSN post recall that was handled via DMs yesterday. We handle a lot of HVBJB issues from new or lurking members all the time. Many created an account just to get assistance. I'm not on the public side of the forum bashing Ford, but these cases happen and I think I've seen at least 5 now.
Good to know, thanks Todd.
Sponsored