How serious is this recall notice? “BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE”

Michael H. Humphrey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We are planing a long trip and can’t get into my dealership before we go. The recall message is “BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE”.
Sponsored

MachLovin

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Chevelle, 2015 Subaru , 2022 Mach E Select
Country flag
This is just my 2 cents and opinion, but if your vehicle was part of the recall group that affected your HVJB and your haven’t gotten the software update yet… just based up others experiences here in the forum for that didn’t have the update installed and something happened (wether their car was parked, or they experienced lever heating while on a long trip, Charging.. etc) I would be a little hesitant to do the long trip.

How long is the trip?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
How long have you had your Mach-E? Has it had any issues?

The notice of the recall doesn't really change how your car is. It only changes your knowledge of a problem.

I would go on the trip.

Does the recall mention that you could get the software update via OTA? (If its the same one we've all got then yes) It is possible you get the update while en route.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
As someone who has been through the failure etc, I would still do the trip. Mine failed at home, I still drive home every day.

the rate of occurrence has been low. the update is coming out OTA as well.

But you need to judge your risk level in terms of trip enjoyment too.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Take your trip, enjoy your car. Seems to happen mostly to GT and AWD Models. But it’s still very very low chance.

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Mach E Premium EX AWD (Dark Matter Gray)
Country flag
I actually have the same question. I have a 2022 Premium AWD Ex and am leaving on Thursday for a four hour drive (one charge up while there this weekend and then back on Sunday). So not a huge road trip, but enough to give me pause. I’m leaning towards going, unless people think that’s a big mistake.

tobin1920

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
As others have said, it comes down to your personal assessment and tolerance for "risk". I would personally still take the trip and try not to think about it too much. If you DCFC, maybe avoid launching back onto the highway.

Good time to plug the main info thread here. DevSecOps has a ton of great info indexed in the OP, and I would definitely review the section "HVBJB Failure Recommendations To Stay Safe". It's a good idea to fully understand how to tow (and how NOT to tow) in any event.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More likely to get rear ended or a flat tire

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here's the difference with the software and without:. With: your car will go into semi turtle mode if the car senses impending contactor failure, still can drive it, and still can get up to highway speed, but you will want to get service as soon as possible. Without: if your car's contactors get damaged/operate out of spec, your car gets hard bricked and will need to be towed, it will not shift.

Risk assessment: I estimate likelihood this will happen to your car at all to be between 1 and 2 percent.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
It's been on my Ford charging ap for almost two months.......I guess if worse comes to worse I could take it to the dealer

Rjk1726

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
We are planing a long trip and can’t get into my dealership before we go. The recall message is “BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE”.
Its serious. I had the software done friday and friday night the HVJB failed anyway. The update kept the car drivable instead of awaiting tow and I was able to drive to dealer where I am waiting for the new HVJB to be installed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I went to Washington before getting the update via FDRS. I wasn’t too concerned over the issue, but it was at the back of my mind. 🤷‍♂️🐩

EDIT: If the HVBJB is going to die, it’s going to die. The software update just gives you some warning and puts the car in limp mode if it is successfully able to predict the failure. Note that there are at least a couple of post-update failures that resulted in an immobile car rather than limp home mode. YMMV. 😱🐩

Last edited:
OP
OP

Michael H. Humphrey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How long have you had your Mach-E? Has it had any issues?

The notice of the recall doesn't really change how your car is. It only changes your knowledge of a problem.

I would go on the trip.

Does the recall mention that you could get the software update via OTA? (If its the same one we've all got then yes) It is possible you get the update while en route.
I’m sorry to ask how can I get the OTA in route? I thought all OTA’s needed your WiFi connection which I won’t have during my trip. Is there a way to force the update? I think I have successfully set for an automatic over-the-air update but have not gotten it yet.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m sorry to ask how can I get the OTA in route? I thought all OTA’s needed your WiFi connection which I won’t have during my trip. Is there a way to force the update? I think I have successfully set for an automatic over-the-air update but have not gotten it yet.
Which trim Mach-E do you have?

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I went to Washington before getting the update via FDRS. I wasn’t too concerned over the issue, but it was at the back of my mind. 🤷‍♂️🐩

EDIT: If the HVBJB is going to die, it’s going to die. The software update just gives you some warning and puts the car in limp mode if it is successfully able to predict the failure. Note that there are at least a couple of post-update failures that resulted in an immobile car rather than limp home mode. YMMV. 😱🐩
Can you link please? I believe you, but that just makes me hideously mad. The fact that the band-aid isn't working for what it intends to do is highly upsetting.
Sponsored