JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Range Anxiety is only a thing for people who have never owned or driven an EV.

Once you've driven one for a while you don't get any anxiety--do you get any anxiety when the "low fuel" light turns on on the dash of an ICE? Didn't think so.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Range Anxiety is only a thing for people who have never owned or driven an EV.

Once you've driven one for a while you don't get any anxiety--do you get any anxiety when the "low fuel" light turns on on the dash of an ICE? Didn't think so.
I have in the past when I pushed it close in an unfamiliar area.

I think range anxiety is not a problem for me in town. I should never even get close to using the range up around the valley.

However, on road trips -- charging times, scarcity of charging stations, down equipment. Yes, I'm going to have anxiety. Maybe that will be less over time, but its going to happen.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The video isn’t really about range anxiety per se. it rather about the systemic problems with establishing and anti range anxiety network. ;)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Except that its only as much as you'd have on an ICE...agree to disagree.

Especially if you charge at home: You can leave home every day with a "full tank".

The only time to be remotely "anxious" is on the often discussed and argued (on these forums at least) road trip.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The only time to be remotely "anxious" is on the often discussed and argued (on these forums at least) road trip.
Actually, I am going to say that I am still anxious about my winter commute. I drive 95 miles, half of it on the NJ turnpike (>70 mph). I have a SR RWD Select on order, and while I should be able to make the round trip on a single charge I am still anxious. Assuming that there is a 43% range penalty at 50% highway and 15F, I will be leaving home with 85% SOC and arriving home with 13%SOC when the car is brand new - assuming a base range of 230mi. That's a little tight for my taste from a battery health standpoint, so I am hoping for slightly better range and little lower winter penalty. Assuming I have the car plugged in overnight and the car warms up from AC power just before I leave and I don't use the cabin heater on the drive to work hopefully the penalty goes down to 40%. I really hope that the base mi/kwh ratio is closer to 3.6 instead of 3.4, which would give me 20% SOC when I get home - which the battery will like better than 13%.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Especially if you charge at home: You can leave home every day with a "full tank".

Well sure. No one's suggesting that typical daily use around home (like <50 miles for most) for someone that can charge overnight at home gets range anxiety for that.

Range anxiety is almost exclusively an issue for long drives that require charging away from home. For that it can be very real (and for valid reasons).

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Actually, I am going to say that I am still anxious about my winter commute. I drive 95 miles, half of it on the NJ turnpike (>70 mph). I have a SR RWD Select on order, and while I should be able to make the round trip on a single charge I am still anxious. Assuming that there is a 43% range penalty at 50% highway and 15F, I will be leaving home with 85% SOC and arriving home with 13%SOC when the car is brand new - assuming a base range of 230mi. That's a little tight for my taste from a battery health standpoint, so I am hoping for slightly better range and little lower winter penalty. Assuming I have the car plugged in overnight and the car warms up from AC power just before I leave and I don't use the cabin heater on the drive to work hopefully the penalty goes down to 40%. I really hope that the base mi/kwh ratio is closer to 3.6 instead of 3.4, which would give me 20% SOC when I get home - which the battery will like better than 13%.
I can appreciate where you're coming from. I live in the DC area and while my commute isn't as long as yours in regards to mileage, we are known for sitting in miserable "beltway" traffic. On top of being alert to how many "miles" we have left, I think we also need to be concerned about sitting in traffic and what that does to the range. While we may think "I have 20 miles before I run out of juice", that may quickly evaporate when you're sitting in a traffic jam -- making the highway a parking lot. I'm not sure how you account for that, except to leave the house with a full charge, and knowing how much your car drains while we're sitting at work all day.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Given your anxiety about a <100 mile commute, perhaps you should have gone with the extended range. That said, I really doubt you will need the extended range for that commute in those conditions. My Bolt EV would handle that without challenge or anxiety for me. With similar drives here in Wisconsin under similar conditions, 150 miles is a breeze. Hopefully, the Mach-E will at least match the range of a 2017 Bolt.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Given your anxiety about a <100 mile commute, perhaps you should have gone with the extended range. That said, I really doubt you will need the extended range for that commute in those conditions. My Bolt EV would handle that without challenge or anxiety for me. With similar drives here in Wisconsin under similar conditions, 150 miles is a breeze. Hopefully, the Mach-E will at least match the range of a 2017 Bolt.
Yes, unfortunately I didn't get to make that choice. When I made my reservation last November I knew very little about BEV's and the range losses from winter and highway driving, or the potential damage for routinely going over 80% SOC or under 20%. While I was weighing my options and thinking the California route 1 edition was the better choice, in July my dealer converted my Select reservation to an order without contacting me. So, my only choice then was to cancel and go back to the end of the line, or hope the SR battery is good enough. In the worst case I can just drive slower on the turnpike and get honked at, but it still annoys me that he did that.

FYI: the reason for the California edition over ER premium is NJ's $5000 BEV rebate. The MSRP cap is $55000, but it is unclear if that means "under $55000" or "$55000 and under". In Ford's infinite wisdom they made the Premium's base price exactly $50000 instead of the more typical "just under" pricing of the Select ($43895), RT 1 ($51800) and GT ($60500). With the flat $5000 ER battery upcharge I didn't want to get screwed out of $5000 on a technicality.
Sponsored