TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, unfortunately I didn't get to make that choice. When I made my reservation last November I knew very little about BEV's and the range losses from winter and highway driving, or the potential damage for routinely going over 80% SOC or under 20%. While I was weighing my options and thinking the California route 1 edition was the better choice, in July my dealer converted my Select reservation to an order without contacting me. So, my only choice then was to cancel and go back to the end of the line, or hope the SR battery is good enough. In the worst case I can just drive slower on the turnpike and get honked at, but it still annoys me that he did that.

FYI: the reason for the California edition over ER premium is NJ's $5000 BEV rebate. The MSRP cap is $55000, but it is unclear if that means "under $55000" or "$55000 and under". In Ford's infinite wisdom they made the Premium's base price exactly $50000 instead of the more typical "just under" pricing of the Select ($43895), RT 1 ($51800) and GT ($60500). With the flat $5000 ER battery upcharge I didn't want to get screwed out of $5000 on a technicality.
So it's 95 miles each way (190 total daily commute)? Yeah, that's a tough one for the SR battery at high speeds.

Have you tried contacting the state revenue department to try and clarify the rule on the $55K cap? Might still have time to modify your order.

If not, and assuming there's no L2 charger where you work, might ever see if there's a 120V outlet in reach, Adding ~24 miles in 8 hours isn't much but it would add a little extra.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No - 95 total for the day. At 190 there's no way a SR would make it.
Oh OK. Couldn't remember from when you had mentioned it months ago. I think some of the other comments were assuming you meant 95 each way too.

For 95 miles/day, I think you're fine. You might want to home charge to 90-100% nightly instead of stopping at 80%, but with the large MME buffer that seems fine. Even if the mileage drops to 2.5 miles/kWh at high speed and poor weather, 95 miles is still just 38 kWh out of the usable 68 kWh SR battery.

Most reports hint at range increasing a bit too. You should be fine, with probably ~30% when you get home each evening. Just don't forget to charge every night. ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Actually, I am going to say that I am still anxious about my winter commute. I drive 95 miles, half of it on the NJ turnpike (>70 mph). I have a SR RWD Select on order, and while I should be able to make the round trip on a single charge I am still anxious. Assuming that there is a 43% range penalty at 50% highway and 15F, I will be leaving home with 85% SOC and arriving home with 13%SOC when the car is brand new - assuming a base range of 230mi. That's a little tight for my taste from a battery health standpoint, so I am hoping for slightly better range and little lower winter penalty. Assuming I have the car plugged in overnight and the car warms up from AC power just before I leave and I don't use the cabin heater on the drive to work hopefully the penalty goes down to 40%. I really hope that the base mi/kwh ratio is closer to 3.6 instead of 3.4, which would give me 20% SOC when I get home - which the battery will like better than 13%.
You could just leave home with 100% SOC. The MME wont mind at all. Do you get to drive in the carpool lane on the turnpike? If not, then your range will increase in bumper to bumper traffic (if there is any).
Is there a 120v outlet available to you at work? 8 hours on that plug will get you some range back and allow you to preheat the cabin.

It is all very doable IMO...

Plus, you have DCFC options for a splash and go if needed...
Sponsored